Cairn Terrier Puppy Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cairn Terrier Puppy Cut

Hi, I'm grooming a Cairn Terrier for the first time this weekend however the owner says she doesn't get a typical Cairn cut - "just a puppy cut". Well, I know how to do those but was wondering about the Cairn fur - do I use a shampoo specific for the wiry coat? I always condition after shampoo - is that good to do with wire coated dogs? Any other tips? Owner says that Pet Something doesn't get the puppy cut "even" - I asked about matting and she claims never matted. Oh, and the owner is my husband's boss.
    Last edited by Sasha41; 06-17-08, 02:59 PM. Reason: typo

I have many cairn that I just use a snap on comb on the back, blend to the sides, go short on all the feathers and make the head nice and round. Not to short or it turns into a square. That is what I do when the ask for a puppy cut. I comes out lovely. As for using conditioner, I dont think it matters. Cairns arn't typically conditioned but if its just a pet I find most of my cairn owners like their dogs soft and cuddly anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jadenlea View Post
      I have many cairn that I just use a snap on comb on the back, blend to the sides, go short on all the feathers and make the head nice and round. Not to short or it turns into a square. That is what I do when the ask for a puppy cut. I comes out lovely. As for using conditioner, I dont think it matters. Cairns arn't typically conditioned but if its just a pet I find most of my cairn owners like their dogs soft and cuddly anyway.
      Thanks for your advice. A question about combs: My longest metal comb is 1" and my longest plastic comb is 1-1/4 " Which comb would you suggest if I'm to do a puppy cut but keep the basic look of the Cairn in tact? Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Cairn puppy cut

With a clippered Cairn, make sure you card the coat well before and after using the snap-on as it may look choppy otherwise. It's also better for the coat and will help with keeping the hair wiry. We do many Cairns in snap-ons, the length depends on what the owner wants. My personal preference is for a shorter puppy cut (1/2 to 3/4 inch all over) because I don't find Cairns look good too fluffy! As for the shampoo and conditioner, I like to condition almost all my dogs, even the wiry haired ones, it's good for the hair and the skin and it helps with removing the undercoat.

Comment

When I do my Cairn puppy clips I usually use a #1 Wahl SS all over, my pets I do use condt. b/c if they are being clipped most likely they have already lost their wirey coat anyway.

Comment

just try this

Use a coat king and thinning shears! You can keep the wiry coat that way and the color! Please educate yourself and your client as to the benefits of keeping the wiry jackets- It is really one of the easiest terrier coats to manage- truly it is! I hate to hear that some one is using a blade on these backs. It comes out so easily when raked regularly and if you just blend the long hair to the outline of the body you can keep a "puppy cut" forever. The head is just combed forward and every thing in front of the nose is thinned in a big doughnout with the nose as the hole- then comb it all back and round it into the ears- that'll set you shape and you can modify it from there. NO FLAG TAILS- close to the back of the tail blend the sides into the back.

Comment

love this idea. the cairn i just had had such a westie head i couldn't believe it wasn't a westie.

i tried to make a rounder look but he had a longer snout... next time i will try your method. i would love to have him not be a westie wannabee.

Comment

Working...
              X