What length to start on the back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What length to start on the back?

What's a good length to start on a 8-10 month old Airedale? Usually I just go straight to a 10 like i was taught but I was curious if I'll damage then coat going that short so fast. Should I do a 7 then go from there If the owner says it's not short enough? I have not the slightest clue on how to strip, even though I'd love to learn. Clipper is my go to tool for this.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I use a 5f....never shorter. A ten is not used on airedale...
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I think a #10 is too short.........the body should be #5, the ears should be #10, the head should be #7, the chin, from the front of the neck to canine teeth should be #10 (leave the hair from the canine teeth to end of chin, forming a goatee). You should purchase the Jodi Murphy's DVD on Airedales.

Happy puppy grooming

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Yes, I'd say a five. No shorter. Tell the owners that is correct and they'll believe you.

Comment

They always have had Airedales.. (3 passed away in the last year) and they always had gotten a 10 on. The back.. I'll break out the book "notes of the grooming table" and show them.. Wish I had it at home with me so I can read it tonight and mentally prepare. I'll do what I can since this will be their first real hair cut..
          I have been just taking an attachment comb and going over them to knocked it down to get them used to the clippers.

Comment

If theyve had airedales in the past, have them bring in a pic of one of them after grooming. Itll show you how they like/want them done. Otherwise they can get your version of an Airedale trim

http://www.petgroomer.com/grooming10...s/airedale.htm

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's one Airedale done, her name is Georgia

How'd I do?? And i used a 5 on the body, 7 on the head, 10 on the ears and a/c 0 on the legs.

Comment

I would start at a 2 comb and go down to a 4 comb if the people wanted it shorter, but I doubt they would.

Comment

And here's Gabby...

Comment

I don't do many Airedales anymore...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Try to make the head brick shaped. These guys need more fill over the nose and under the eyes.

Comment

We have one Airedale where the owner wants a #10 on the back, so a #10 she gets.

We have another Airedale where the owner wants a #10 all over with an Airedale head, so that's what she gets.

We normally just do a #7 on the backs because there is squawking if we do them longer, about how fast they grow out.

If the owner wants a #10, do a #10. Why should" the books" dictate what the owner should want and get, or what is "too short/no shorter than" when the owner pays the bill and wants a #10?

Comment

Working...
                        X