Take Action on New Jersey Groomer Licensing Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Action on New Jersey Groomer Licensing Bill

A3304 (Huttle grooming bill in NJ) has been posted for a hearing in the Regulated Professions Committee on Monday October 15, 2018.

Please use this link to contact the members of the Assembly Regulated Professions Committee.

You will have the ability to use any or all of the pre-written comments that PIJAC provided as well as writing your own comments. If you can, take the time to personalize your messages with some information about who you are and why you care.

The amendments that will be considered in lieu of the original bill are linked here for your review.

As you'll see, they've addressed many of the concerns PIJAC raised over the years while continuing to insist on a state-run licensing regime. PIJAC opposes that.

WPA encourages you to use this link by Sunday so the committee members see the full volume of voices opposed when they arrive on Monday.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

My crystal ball that almost certainly NJ will be licensing groomers first in the U.S.

Comment

Well Esmeralda the fortune teller, I think you are right. First one that passes it, all the other states will simply copy cat. It is really coming this time without a huge response by groomers that don't want it.

Comment

The really bad thing is that groomers were lied to, misled and actually sold out. It's being fought at the ground level but we were late to the party. If I hadn't gotten a phone call before Hershey we would have no idea this was coming up. Boy do I have stories to tell...
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Particentral it doesn't surprise me, does it you really? This is how politics works, how lobbyists run things. If you don't form an "inside" watchdog at great cost, the system gets its way. It costs money, and just how many groomers are putting up money for a political watchdog organization? This is beyond the work of the pet stylist alliance and well pijac, just how much concern is there if there isn't a strong reaction by the groomers themselves. Many groomers I know just don't care and will go along, or do something else. So I am sure you are right lies, deceit, sell outs, money rules...that's the legislative world in a nutshell.

Comment

I haven't found a groomer around me that gives a poop but one. Some online friends here do and that is why I spend more time with groomers here and online than in my city. Y'all may be right, this is going to pass at some level.

Comment

The NJ groomers association has been working diligently to fight it. Then someone with a name stepped up and said "I got this. I can make it work. It's going nowhere". And the leaders in that group trusted the person. I got a call from Bijou's mom and we found out the bill was back on the table and that she put everything in it the person said to. That person is in full denial but the bill SHE sent me is the one being considered. The group is activated since last week after Hershey. We had meetings in small groups and they have sent hundreds of letters. They are extremely motivated. i would be in NJ as a spokeswoman for Intellectual groomers association but the hurricane was devastating to my area and my house. I cannot be there but three of my certification experts are going to the meeting. So no, groomers aren't standing by doing nothing. They were sold out. By two industry leaders who have something to gain from the passage of the bill.
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                The NJ groomers association has been working diligently to fight it. Then someone with a name stepped up and said "I got this. I can make it work. It's going nowhere". And the leaders in that group trusted the person. I got a call from Bijou's mom and we found out the bill was back on the table and that she put everything in it the person said to. That person is in full denial but the bill SHE sent me is the one being considered. The group is activated since last week after Hershey. We had meetings in small groups and they have sent hundreds of letters. They are extremely motivated. i would be in NJ as a spokeswoman for Intellectual groomers association but the hurricane was devastating to my area and my house. I cannot be there but three of my certification experts are going to the meeting. So no, groomers aren't standing by doing nothing. They were sold out. By two industry leaders who have something to gain from the passage of the bill.
                I appreciate all you are doing. What's ironic is that affects ALL groomers, ALL. You may not be a groomer in NJ but whatever NJ does is going to quickly become what they do elsewhere. Legislators don't want to reinvent the wheel. So they just copy what others have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
                  I appreciate all you are doing. What's ironic is that affects ALL groomers, ALL. You may not be a groomer in NJ but whatever NJ does is going to quickly become what they do elsewhere. Legislators don't want to reinvent the wheel. So they just copy what others have done.
                  Precisely!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
                    Legislators don't want to reinvent the wheel. So they just copy what others have done.
                    That is a great point!

Comment

And, even with groomers testifying the bill passed out of committee. Lots of work to do.

Comment

Update article on NJ licensing

The Pet Grooming Licensing Act was pushed through after an investigation by NJ Advance Media documented dozens of cases of dogs dying shortly or after groomings at PetSmart since 2008.
                        Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Comment

New Jersey lawmakers are pushing separate sets of bills to bolster oversight and regulation of dog grooming after a nationwide investigation into safety protocols at PetSmart.

Comment

The New Jersey state senate appropriations committee is going to meet on this bill on Monday. Apparently it's being fast tracked for some reason. New Jersey grammars are encouraged to notify their senate representatives that they would like a stay of action on this bill pending the availability and ability of dog groomers in the state to argue against it or portions of it.

Comment

I must be missing something....why would everyone be against licensing? I'm all for licensing of groomers after the things I've seen and heard. I hire licensed people to work on my plumbing, roof, electrical, mechanics, massage and even my nails. Why would it be any different with a beloved four-legged member of my family? Is it the testing everyone is scared of?

Comment

Working...
                              X