X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopes to Revive "Lucy's Law" in California to License Pet Groomers

http://www.marinatimes.com/2017/01/n...nagement-plan/
    Excerpt from larger article on
    We now have an animal lover in Sacramento CA (District 8 Supervisor Scott Weiner) as well. I’m hoping he will join us in reviving Lucy’s Law (Senate Bill 969), which would have required vocational licenses for California pet groomers but was struck down in 2012. Since then, thousands of dogs have been injured or killed during routine grooming sessions, mostly at behemoth pet chains like Petco and Petsmart. In June 2016, I wrote about the case of Juan Zarate, a groomer at a PetSmart in San Mateo who is accused of killing Henry, a 1-year-old Dachshund. A necropsy showed Henry was strangled and suffered two broken ribs and a punctured lung. San Mateo County prosecutors say Zarate became frustrated with Henry when he was uncooperative during the service. Henry’s owners, Stafan Zire and Terrie Peacock, are suing PetSmart and want to hold the company accountable for previously ignoring hundreds of pet injuries and deaths.

I hope lawmakers will add protection for future clients by resurrecting and enacting Lucy’s Law.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Oh boy.. who is hoping that Lucy's Law is revived? That was not a good law. It would have been run by veterinarians.. no groomers on board. I'm all for licensing.. but it won't stop abuse. In fact, the last school I went to, allowed a gal to finish school.. in spite of her horrible, mean, abusive behavior. As an older person.. boy I refused to let her get away with it.. but she was simply awful. So.. she could get licensed, beyond angry at a pet.. and still kill it. She was that mean.

The licensing needs to be written by and for groomers. And a board of groomers needs to run it.. like they do Cosmetology. And we need to police ourselves, step in when we see abuse and stop it. But.. you know... the gal I mentioned ^^.. she'll find a salon with like minded groomers that are mean and pis*y and even if they were all licensed by the state, it wouldn't stop them from abusing animals.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Working...
    X