No announcement yet.

Why Aren't Pet Groomers Licensed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you really want more Government intrusion & regulation?

Whenever the State or Federal government get envolved in your business or life they botch it up by creating red tape with rules and regulations and fines and fees. Just because something sounds good in coversation or looks good on paper does not mean it will be managed as such. The last thing this Country & ****** economy needs is more regulations that will stifle the entrepreneural spirit that made America the best and most prosperous Country in the World.

Comment

I checked in my state and only beauticians are required to be licensed to their profession. which I think is poor. We've certainly made enough strides that we should get recognition required to register with our state. After all kennels and such need a certificate. I understand paying people to go out and make inspections, etc for regulating. But there could be basic minimum standards for operating a salon that everyone needs to meet in order to operate. Cleanliness, safety for example. I think it benefits both parties (worker and customer) as far as the regulation is concerned. Now, I'm not down for stupid laws like banning basic equipment like cage dryers and so forth. That is moronic. But they could make it easier for us to get the testing and better ourselves through education. Regulation if it's to be done should be a COLLABORATIVE effort between bodies in the pet industry and state officials. PIJAC, NAADGA or someone can do this. Salons have to be approved with OSHA every year, whatever. Pet owners can't just buy a pair of clippers from down the street and be a groomer and service the public's dogs. There should be something to protect and legitimize our profession for its own sake.

Unfortunately in the govt's eyes dogs are property. Legally speaking they are property and aren't important. Until that thinking changes, it'll probably be up to each one of us.

Comment

Why Aren't Pet Groomers Licensed?

Originally posted by scullysmom View Post
        One further point (because this always gets brought up), for those who think that Military spouse groomers always choose to be a groomer and follow their husband around, you are incorrect. I know of three of us, myself included, who left the grooming field to serve our country and ended up out because of various issues. Due to marriage, we remain tied to the Military invariably. I only mention it because usually people state that we picked this lifestyle "suck it up". I for one injured my hip in the Marines and basically have been forced to groom or nothing at every station-and there you have it. I love grooming, it is my calling however, sometimes people miss various aspects of the big picture which is why I bring this up in the first place. OK, off the venting soap box and on to different posts, just thought it was worth a mention.
        Who is bringing this up???! I for one would never say that and anyone who says that is a moron in my opinion. Sorry, I am an army brat and I don't suffer people making opinions on military families. Thank you for your service and for your continued support for your husband. Ok back to OT.

Comment

Just looking back at this thread and 2013 is coming to a close. 2012 was quite a year for licensing arguments and the big push and look a year later, 2013 has been so quiet on this topic. Guess the legislators got the message.

Comment

Thank you! So true.

Originally posted by Brit View Post
            Just looking back at this thread and 2013 is coming to a close. 2012 was quite a year for licensing arguments and the big push and look a year later, 2013 has been so quiet on this topic. Guess the legislators got the message.

Comment

Amazing that it is 2015 and this topic is still as heated as it was back when this started.
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I don't think it is quite as heated as before. Not cold either but more groomers expect it today than a few years ago. Wonder what is up with the pet stylist alliance we heard about last summer?

Comment

Originally posted by keyray View Post
                  Amazing that it is 2015 and this topic is still as heated as it was back when this started.
                  Really? I don't think so either. I find more groomers are in favor to a degree and much more mellow, no screaming like before.

Comment

I don't think it is a heated issue with most groomers. It was indeed big time, huge some years ago, but not now.

Comment

heck ya I remember it was like I will nuke you if I don't like what you say about licensing.

Comment

Working...
                      X