Greetings Washington!....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings Washington!....

Hi...i am going to be moving to the Seattle area in 2015. I would love to hear from some folks in the area. I have a lot of Qs about the industry... Is business seasonal? (we have "snowbirds" where I'm from oct-Apr)...i know there is a trade show that comes to the area how does it compare to some of the other trade shows in the southeast. Any tips from locals out there would be awesome. Pm or reply...thanks!

Congrats on the move.
    I'll be interested in your responses. Stepdaughter lives in Seattle and loves it. If you're a Floridian you'll appreciate the rain and not be overwhelmed by it.
    It is a beautiful area. There is an awe inspiring majesty to seeing those gorgeous mountains every day ( envy here)

Comment

I live on the West Coast, in Vancouver, BC, just a bit north, but our climate is pretty much the same. I have very few seasonal clients. I have probably 4-5 regular clients who tell me all about their fun and jet set second lives in Palm Springs. Winters are so mild here, and it snows MAYBE two days per year, so I don't have very many people taking off on me. I do get a few who live in the Yukon or Alaska and they have family here, so they get their dog groomed in the city, but not many. The seasonal flow is not noticeable.

Comment

Nope not seasonal. I never remember having a slow time and the best part is nobody cancels when it rains cause the dog will just get muddy/dirty lol! If they did that, they'd never get the dog groomed.

Comment

Moo....interesting that your Snowbirds go to Palm Springs....ours all go to Arizona. Like you, we just have a handful that go each year.

Honey...sorry, we can't see the mountains EVERY day. In fact, MONTHS will go by when you never see them. I've often wondered about the first explorers that came out here...arriving in the Winter months and not knowing about our Mountains....and one day you wake up and "WHOA...Where did THAT come from" as you get to see a 14,000 foot mountain you had no idea was there!

Drayah....we call Mt Rainier "The Mountain"....as in "did you see The Mountain this morning". We have a term that we say for when we do see her. "Wow...The Mt was really "out" today"
          I'll never forget driving with Sally Liddick and we came around a corner and you could see the Mt. I said, very casually, "oh, the Mt is out today"....and she gave me the strangest look. " it's out???" She asked...I said, " yes, you can't always see it".
          She had no idea that you couldn't always see our mountains and though it was such a strange saying.

By the way, I just learned that my 'back East friends" didn't know how to pronounce Rainier. So, just in case you don't, pronounced Ray-Near. You don't want to get that wrong when you move out here.

Okay...go to YouTube and pull up the PEMCO Insurance ads. They do a parody of our lifestyle here. It's so true that's it's laughable.
          Favorites are, Socks and Sandals Guy (especially since that is what my husband wore on our wedding day...me in heels, him in S&S)
          First Snowflake Freakout Lady, Four Way Stop, Chainsaw Carver, and Goosebump Beach Bum....they are soooo true and will give you an insight into our quirkiness.

Umbrellas....Washingtonians don't use umbrellas as a general rule. We are just used to the rain. Go with it.

And, Summer doesn't start till mid-July....so don't be moaning in June. Summer "lingers till September" ....we live in Camelot.
          "....July and August can not be to hot,
          And there's a legal limit to the snow here, in Camelot...."

Speaking of snow, we get an inch and everything closes down. Slippery wet snow and Hills make traveling hard. But don't worry, it will start to rain in a day or so and it will all be washed away.

We have some of the most diverse terrine here. From Oceans to Deserts...we have it all. If you like to do outdoor stuff, REI is the place to go for your needs....and The Mountaineers are a great group to get involved in for any man powered sport from hiking to climbing Mt Rainier.

We have more Pho restaurants then anywhere except Vietnam. Yum...and it's pronounced Fu...like foot without the 't'.....not foe.

Seattle traffic is awful and rush hour is the worst...worse then L.A.
          Seattle Seahawks are the Bomb right now, so you better buy a tshirt for yourself AND your dogs!

Oh, and the dogs. We have a great grooming seminar each year, and it gets better all the time.
          Groomers tend to be friendly with one another.
          We do have our slow and busy seasons.
          No ticks to mention on the West side of the State. If we see some, dog has usually been to Eastern Wa for a visit
          Although we can have fleas at anytime, September tends to be our Flea Season.

Ok...all for now.

namaste...dogma

Comment

Eh IDK Dogma I used to see ticks on customers fairly often on the west side. Not a ton, I'm not really sure what a problem would consist of, but my customers who lived in wooded areas, definitely had ticks.

Comment

Cocker lover, your right. If clients haven't been to Eastern Wa then they have usually just had some trees felled in their yard, etc.

By a lot, I meant like other places have, where they see HUNDREDS on dogs. A lot for us would be two or three.

namaste...dogma

Comment

Hi its been a long time since I was here. I love Washington but I live in the desert side. I prefer it as we have way more sunny days. But the west side is much prettier and greener.

Comment

I have visited and have several friends in the Seattle area. We would probably be moving to the rainier beach area...but that isn't set yet. Still waiting for my husband to finish out his two year college degree before we move. Our location will be a compromise between social and business life of course. Really can't wait to head up there with a portfolio... But that won't be till spring/summer.

Comment

The greater Seattle area should be good. Cost of living is high though, with traffic to contend with. It's not seasonal. Palm Springs for 5 yrs, that's seasonal! Fleas, yes. You could research your possible areas/neighborhoods on city-data.

Comment

Update: I've been living and grooming near SeaTac since summer 2017. You're right about my Floridian rain tolerance. The rain out here is very gentle compared to Florida down pours. I would like to visit the groom convention in Tacoma this year but I dont plan to take time off work. Maybe I will get out early enough to swing in before they close up. If not there is always next year.

Comment

Do you work on Sundays? If not, come on Sunday. Lots to see and do. It’s worth the drive into Tacoma.

Comment

I do work sundays....I might do a short day on sunday. I'd love to see the creative comp. And walk around the trade show before close ::fingers crossed::

Comment

Working...
                          X