Hello! (Sorry, cuz this one is long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! (Sorry, cuz this one is long)

I have been enjoying and learning from these amazing message boards for the past several months. Informative, funny, helpful, generous, smart are just some of the adjectives I would apply! Seriously, it has been so great to learn from everyone on here. A little about me: I live in N. Seattle and just got into grooming within the last six months. The economy (and finally having both kids in school all day) forced a quick re-entry into the work force and I decided to try doing what I've always wanted to do but somehow never did. So, I got a job with Aussie Pet Mobile (I know, I know, if you keep reading you'll forgive me, I think, LOL). I didn't have any money for Maser's (only grooming school that I know of within a reasonable drive) and the Pet-something computerized application just spit at me because I had been out of the workforce for so long! So, I got the very minimal on-the-job training that APM offers and started work. I absolutely adore grooming! My customers have been very happy (tells you about APM standards) and I have worked very hard to gain skills. I read this and other forums all the time and try to accumulate books and videos as I can. So, now the divine justice portion of the story - my boss is going out of business at the end of the month. I would still love to attend grooming school, but Maser's is waitlisted til the end of the summer. So, does anyone in the Seattle area need a bather/grooming assistant? I can provide great references from employers, customers, etc. I have no pretensions to being a fully-trained groomer. I can do some tasks well, but would almost prefer to learn from the ground up, as I don't know what I don't know!
    Thanks for reading through this! I was hoping to meet people at the grooming show in March, but if I am unemployed I don't think I will be able to attend.
    Cheers,
    Alissa

Welcome Alissa,

I can't offer you work - the commute would be a killer, (LOL) but I wanted to wish you luck in finding work/training. Your enthusiasm for grooming and learning is evident in your post.
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Welcome Alissa!

I also can't offer a position, but I do know of a few groomers around here that offer apprenticeships. I'll poke at them and see if any have any openings for you.

-Amber

Comment

Also! The Northwest Grooming Show is happening next month and there's a ton of AMAZING seminars to attend! I've found that a lot of shops and employers are more likely to take you seriously as a groomer if you attend seminars and make an attempt to further your education outside of a grooming school.

http://www.barkleigh.com/nw10/nw10_program/#/12/

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I hope you're able to find a way to get trained in your area because your passion is quite evident! Good luck and once again welcome!
          My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

Thanks for the support, all!

I definitely was planning on attending the show in Tacoma, but may need to re-evaluate if I am unemployed. I have to see if they have a "student" rate or maybe I can just do one seminar and focus on mingling. Amber, where are you located? I love the idea of seeing people in their work environment - I've been kind of isolated driving the mobile van. I am also happy to send you a resume and references if you think that would help.
            Cheers,
            Alissa

Comment

Working...
            X