Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade sharpening-who do you use?

Hey MN groomers!
    I have used Bruce from American Sharpening in the past and I thought he did a good job. I actually starting using him through a reccomendation from another groomer. The last time I called him though he didn't seem to want to drive out to me and promised he would call me back to set up a time and has yet to so-5 days later. I am willing to give him another shot, but I thought I would see who you all use in case I need to change it up as I need my shears sharpened soon!

PS~I don't want to mail my equipment anywhere-it's just too nerve racking for to me to entertain.

I would like to find someone in NW Ohio to sharpen our blades too. I don't like mailing them out.

Comment

My lucky

after 27 years of pet grooming ,my husband and I took a drive up to Canada to buy a machine, from a company up there,who sells the machine to sharpen blade and scissors and they can teach you to use the machine too, was a great weekend we had and now I never have to worry about not having any sharp blades.

Comment

Scissor Wizard

I use The Scissor Wizard on Como Ave in St Paul. He does by FAR the best job I have ever seen in my career. He charges $15 per clipper blade, but it is worth every penny. They come back much better than new, and they last. I think I'm coming out ahead, because my blades are not out for sharpening nearly as often as when I used to use the typical $5 per blade sharpeners. The better job seems to pay for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by stephhahn View Post
          I use The Scissor Wizard on Como Ave in St Paul. He does by FAR the best job I have ever seen in my career. He charges $15 per clipper blade, but it is worth every penny. They come back much better than new, and they last. I think I'm coming out ahead, because my blades are not out for sharpening nearly as often as when I used to use the typical $5 per blade sharpeners. The better job seems to pay for itself.
          Sorry, but for $15 per BLADE I will just buy new ones. That is utterly ridiculous. Shears YES I see it but not blades. they are not worth much more than that!
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Sounds like a sharpener who specializes in Beauty Salons and such. They charge rediculous prices for everything they do. They charge $40 to sharpen a pair of those 4 inch beauty shears and I charge $15.

I'll compete with that $15 blade anyday for longentivity. I got groomers who send me stuff yearly because it lasts and they take care of them. Its not the sharpening that determines how long a blade lasts, there are many factors.

-------------------------------------------
            Jeff Andrews
            Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
            Mobile, Alabama &
            New Orleans, Louisiana
            251-232-5353
            www.northerntails.com
            [email protected]
            "You NOW Have A Better Choice"

“A certified Sharkfin sharpening service”

Comment

Well I decided to try out Sharpening Center in Hopkins and the service was fantastic and fast! He even fixed a broken shear that my previous sharpener said couldn't be fixed. That thrilled me because as we all know shears aren't cheap!
              So if you're in MN and wanting to try a new sharpener-check these guys out-they do great work!

Comment

I'm sending my shears and blades your way this next week Jeff... Do you have a special form I need to fill out? Peg

Comment

Peg,

Just the normal Inventory sheet that is on the "Mail-in Service" page. It lets you inventory your box and condition of equipment. That way, if stuff shows up broken we'll call you.

Try to mail about Wednesday because it will get here at the end of the week. We work on most of our boxes between Thursday and Sunday, and you get it back the following Wednesday, thats a 7 day turnaround.

Check out the info on the Video and Articles page, its all free and it will help keep your stuff cutting for months not weeks.

Looking forward to seeing your box

Jeff Andrews
                  Mobile, Alabama &
                  New Orleans, Louisiana
                  251-232-5353
                  www.northerntails.com
                  [email protected]

“A certified Sharkfin sharpening service” .

Comment

Jeff, at Northern Tails is the best. I send mine to him and am always happy. Awesome customer service that comes with DVD of instructions to keep your clippers running longer and more. I can't begin to say enough about the quality and fast turn around time.

Comment

Jeff; I've been "So Busy", haven't even had time to print out that service inventory form...found proper packaging materials...hope to get it out to you by the end of this week. Busy is the reason we're all in business though.

Comment

Peg,

TAke your time, our shop is balls to the wall this whole month. We're getting lots of shaves because we got the heat now, usually is raining all the time in the spring. The weather sure is strange this year.

Get it out when you can...we'll be here. If you want to see our blade shop, its on the website under the tab "All About Northern Tails". Our whole story is there, from the beginning 18 years ago until now. Lots of pictures of who works here and what equipment we use, the whole set up.

Jeff Andrews
                        Mobile, Alabama &
                        New Orleans, Louisiana
                        251-232-5353
                        www.northerntails.com
                        [email protected]

“A certified Sharkfin sharpening service”

Comment

bruce

i too have used Bruce for several years, however he won't be working forever so i to am looking for future, I have also noticed lately that some stuff comes back in the same shape i do not know if it is his help or what. i think i will try the one in Hopkins. i live close. let u know good luck

Comment

I just started grooming and have only had my blades sharpened once, but the girls I work with use Jerry bowden in albertville and he does a good job on my blade so far and they seam to never have problems with him and one girl just had 15 blades sharpened all came back sharp. 6.50 a blade

Comment

I just started grooming and have only had my blades sharpened once, but the girls I work with use Jerry bowden in albertville and he does a good job on my blade so far and they seam to never have problems with him and one girl just had 15 blades sharpened all came back sharp. 6.50 a blade

Comment

Working...
                              X