coloring law in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coloring law in Florida

Anybody know for sure the law about coloring? I know it's illegal to color animals for sale but what about your own pet? or when we are asked to color clients dog? I was seeing on the news now that a lady in upstate florida got a fine for coloring her dog even though she used non toxic stuff and she only colored the cuffs, tail pom, and ears on her Standard poodle.

I have never heard a complete thing on whether or not it is illegal?

Yes, against the law

Of course, that simply brings to mind the saying about the Law being an ass.

We need some organized civil disobedience to bring some sense into the law, since it was obviously pushed through by people who knew nothing of professional groomers, creative competitions, and petsafe dyes and colors (like food coloring).

I would LOVE to find out more about the original mishap that started the push for this law, which was supposed to be a bunch of baby chicks being colored for an event and they died.

Anyone know? I think it's time to search and research and overturn these stupid laws. Good intentions but stupid laws made by people who didn't know what they were dealing with.

Comment

More info

I have always heard it was illegal here in Florida BUT I just read the statute, which, in its title, says it is probited to color 'CERTAIN (caps mine) animals and fowls'.

It goes on in section (3) to say:

(3) This section shall not be construed to apply to any animal or fowl, including but not limited to rabbits, baby chickens, and ducklings to be used or raised for agricultural purposes by persons with proper facilities to care for them or for poultry or livestock exhibitions.

To me, this means that there are exceptions written into this law, which is great - that means the girl who got fined should NOT have been, as she had proper facilities (petsafe dye) AND her type of pet was NOT included in the types mentioned in the statute. Also, it sounds like we should be able to do creative competitions here, doesn't it??? That would be like a "livestock exhibition".

Hmmmm - hasn't anyone doing the conventions here had a lawyer look at the wording of the state law? It really looks like coloring dogs is NOT prohibited. (Besides, when a law gives examples like the Florida law, which specifies rabbits, baby chickens and ducklings, it is giving examples of the TYPE of animals it is talking about, so that even though it does say "not limited to" those types, it is indicating the group of animals it is intended for. (My sister the lawyer told me this - it is called 'ejusdem generis' in legal terms, so describing the TYPES of animals means that the law is limited TO THOSE TYPES. Dogs are definitely not in that group.)

So let's get creative in Florida, everyone!!!!!! I think I'll go color my Bichon now....right after contacting one of the news stations that could contact that girl so she doesn't have to pay $255 for her fine.

Comment

Originally posted by animalsandy View Post
        Anybody know for sure the law about coloring? I know it's illegal to color animals for sale but what about your own pet? or when we are asked to color clients dog? I was seeing on the news now that a lady in upstate florida got a fine for coloring her dog even though she used non toxic stuff and she only colored the cuffs, tail pom, and ears on her Standard poodle.

I have never heard a complete thing on whether or not it is illegal?
        Yes it's illegal. Let me look for the post where I quoted the law word for word on another thread here
        The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸ ><((((؛>¸.
        ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (؛>

Comment

In FL It is illegal, even if it is YOUR DOG. Sad really. Someone needs to challenge it, but there is too much other stuff going on for it to be a priority.c
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

FOUND IT!

Florida Animal Cruelty Statutes

828.161- Prohibiting Artificial Coloring of Animals and Fowl
            1) it is unlawful for any person to dye or color artificially any animal or fowl including but not limited to rabbits, baby chicks, ducklings or to bring any dyed or artificially cited animal or fowl into this state.
            The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸ ><((((؛>¸.

Comment

Debby- when that law was written there were NO creative grooming, grooming competitions etc. And the dye was TOXIC. The origin of the law was people who dyed chicks, buns, etc in a vat of dye. They were tossed by the 100s into those vats of dye. Those that survived the plunge into the toxic dye were sold off for the holiday.
              IMO the law is vague.

Comment

Still is does say "any animal" so by the letter of the law I think they could get ya. Stupid and we groomers in this state should speak up and do something about it.
                I agree on not dying chicks and rabbits and such, even if safe, only because they are for sale during certain times of year for dumb reasons in my book.
                Would be awesome to have and hold Creative Grooming Competitions in FL.

Comment

There are two places it says 'any animal', the first in (1) where it then goes on to specify certain types (which would then fall under the 'ejusdem generis' classification, meaning ONLY those types of animals specified) and in (3) where they actually are making an EXCEPTION for any animal to be used or raised for agricultural purposes by persons with proper facilities to care for them or for poultry or livestock exhibitions.

Not only are we exceptions due to the wording and legal function of the first item, but that third part stating exceptions also helps groomers - yes, we have proper facilities, yes, we are exhibiting (although not even livestock), so even IF they did not apply the accepted legal practice of invoking ejusdem generis for (1), there are grounds that (3) allows us to color dogs.

In fact, I may have to eat humble pie and retract my statement/assessment that the law was pushed through by know-nothings; sounds like many people making this law actually attempted to make it restrictive to certain animals and events, while continuing to allow others.

I don't understand why people running the conventions never got hold of this - sounds like Florida never had to bypass creative competitions in the first place.

Comment

How stupid

what kind of law is that ,what's next can't color your own head of hair,
                    though New Jersey was bad,with their dumb restrictions,

Comment

South Carolina has the same law. Goes back to the days of bunnies and baby chicks being dyed for Easter. The local news featured a creative groomer in the area, talking about how good she was and how she took her dyed dog to cheer up sick kids at a local hospital. She got in trouble after the segment aired. Don't understand why people can run around with bleached blonde & purple hair, but ya can't us safe products on a poodle? The laws need to be changed.

Comment

I wrote state lawmakers, and haven't heard a darn word! Someone with an "in" needs to mention it!

Comment

I didnt know the law even exsisted till one of my suppliers actually told me its like a fine first then a misdaminor I think is what she said....But I dont understand if its so illegal how come ome shop advertise they color and they dont get fined...I have a good friend who is a lawyer and in politics in Tampa I may gave him a call and find out the deal with this law and maybe he can help point us in the right direction to try and get it changed...

Comment

Reading about Florida's law makes me wonder about dog shows. Anyone who has ever been involved in dog shows for any amount of time knows what I am talking about. It is all done behind closed doors and it is damn hard to prove but do people really think that the top dogs are all natural? Even at dog shows where chalking is not permitted you can walk thru the grooming area and see everyone chalking their dogs in every color from white to terrier brown to black Sometimes it doesn't wash out, does that make it permanent? Are the handlers and owners who come to florida to show breaking the law if they use Just for Men on their dogs muzzles or sharpie in nails and holes from hand stripping? Why should groomers who are providing a service to a customer using products made for dogs and sold in grooming catalogues be fined? Yes it should be against the law to dye animals to sell for holidays etc but it is an archaic law that needs to be reworded because one of these days a groomer is going to be made an example of and it will be bad for us all.

Comment

I spoke with my friend who put my in touch with a State Rep, and hopefully Ill be able to go speak more with the Rep after Thansgiving but, basically what I was told is we need someone to go and lobby for us to have an Amendment made for that specific statue that its a service we can be offering our customers so we are losing out on that portion of money. And he said as far as the competitions once we can get an amendment then we can get creative contest's...He also said it may not be too difcult to get this Amendment because of the popularity of coloring.

I will keep everyone up to date but for now if anyone has any pics or good articles on coloring and creative grooming please send them to me. The Rep wants that kind of stuff so his legal aid can start there research!

Comment

Working...
                              X