Dog Boarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Boarding

I'm a groomer and I need to leave my dogs in boarding because they are little loved snots but I don't know what boarding place to trust so I wanted some recommendations. Thanks!

Where are you? Fairly difficult to give recommendations without that info.
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

In-home boarding, if possible

Try to search for someone boarding right in their home. Usually such a service is much less advertised, as they have a much more limited number of clients.

They take well-socialized dogs and they just live in the house. I used to do it, and the dogs were VERY happy! They lie on the furniture, just like at home. They follow you around, just like at home. They can sleep on the bed if they want. The dogs were very happy to see their owners, but very calm to come in for boarding. They had to be freshly groomed for me to take them (or I would groom them when they came in).

Comment

As a pet groomer for 27 years

and a former boarding kennel owner (9years )

First thing I would suggest is a short stay like a half a day,to try your dogs out.
        make sure they have been inspected by the state or the proper authority in your state
        what shots are require(should be rabies,distemper,kennel cough).
        ask if the kennel will give you a tour,I use to.
        ask for references from others that have boarder their pets there.
        make sure the dogs are single runs/cages(your dogs should all be left together,but not mixed with other dogs)some people think it's cute to have strange dogs stay together,but it can be dangerous,don't take the chance.

Would not go with in-home boarding,cause most are not regulated by the state,are not inspection,do not require shots,and in some state are illegal (New Jersey IS).. they don;t have a kennel license and can be any one who desides to open their door to make extra cash,not professionally.

So go around to a few boarding kennels in your area ,bring a dog with you,and inspect for yourself,your gut will tell you,I use to have a saying to my clients,"That alot of trust goes behind the door",meaning animals can't tell you how they are treated once they leave you,so you have to trust the kennel owner.

Comment

Another thing I would tell my clients that were moving out of state...was to call several of the local veterinarians (that DO NOT offer boarding) and ask them who they refer to. Vets typically see the best and the worst from local boarding facilities, and while they won't mention the yucky kennels, a lot will happily refer to the good ones.

Make sure the runs, in and/or out, are all securely covered.

And...although it is a drag for the kennel operator...I always advised clients that client inspection be un-announced some time from late morning to late afternoon...just don't make a day trip out of hanging out at the kennel...they have work to do!

I managed a great boarding kennel for 20 years.
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

in the Aurora/ Denver area, maybe even a little farther for something good.

Comment

Working...
            X