Assembly Bill 5 in Cali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly Bill 5 in Cali

I don't live in Cali, but I used to live there. If you think that it should be easier to enforce labor laws regarding groomer misclassification, and to get benefits and protections such as workers comp, this would be a good time to let your state reps know you support Ab5.
    Ab5 passed, but there is a big effort to repeal it.
    If you do a search for ab5, you can read the bill and the drama around it.

Idk much about this bill bit when I mentioned it to my old man he started goinboff on how it is making people lose their jobs and will be putting small businesses under. Curious if what he is saying holds any truth?
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Companies with millions of dollars to spend on lobbying are fighting agsinst Ab5. Your guy might wind up happy if they succeed. It is quite a drama going on right now.

Comment

I have a friend who I believe is an illegal IC truck driver. The company he works for has driver sharing trucks, and truckers are gross. He got sick of finding nastiness left from co-workers so decided to lease a truck through the company so he wouldn't have to share. As part of the lease he has to have a LLC, file a 1099, maintain the vehicle, is charged if he goes over a certain number of miles, etc, etc, but is still at the whim of the business. Has to work when told, follow dress code, no benefits (paid time off health nothing). He grossed over $100 k last year but after they took everything out of him he only had less than $40k and that was still considered gross before taxes! Now he still needs to file a 1099 and pay in taxes.

This bill would definitely help him out I believe.
        It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
        Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
        X