Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geib accused me of having my scissors sharpened elsewhere!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geib accused me of having my scissors sharpened elsewhere!!

About 7 years ago I ordered a backup pair of lefty short shank Gators from Geib but they showed up as long shanks. I tried to use them but couldn't get them to work properly. I took them to the Intergroom show and asked if they would exchange them for short shanks. They looked at them and told me that they would not take them back because I had had them sharpened by someone else. I told them that I had not and that I haven't even been able to use them enough to have them sharpened. after much arguing ( they were adamant and rude) I walked away vowing to never buy another shear from them again. Well, a year ago at the Intergroom show I broke down and bought another pair of Gators, they are the only ones that really fit my hand well. I sent them off to Geib to be sharpened and they called me and told me that they couldn't do anything with them because I had them sharpened by someone else!!! I nearly went through the ceiling!!! I swore to them that I had not, that I know their policy etc regarding having them sharpened elsewhere, but they still insisted that I had someone else sharpen them. Has this happened to anyone else? I can't be the only one, and it happened to me twice!!

When I first started grooming 5 years ago, I used Geib Entree and Gators. I've never sent them to Geib for sharpening, instead I always send my shears and blades to Jeff @Northern Tail Sharpening. He is well know here on this forum and have a excellent reputation. It's worth sending them all the way to him.
    I now use Jeff's shears. I have a pair of straight, curve and chunkers. They have off set handles and my hand doesn't hurt any more. Shears are better quality than Geib but very inexpensive.
    I will not buy anything from Geib again because they have bad reputation about their customer services.

Comment

Originally posted by Vienna View Post
      When I first started grooming 5 years ago, I used Geib Entree and Gators. I've never sent them to Geib for sharpening, instead I always send my shears and blades to Jeff @Northern Tail Sharpening. He is well know here on this forum and have a excellent reputation. It's worth sending them all the way to him.
      I now use Jeff's shears. I have a pair of straight, curve and chunkers. They have off set handles and my hand doesn't hurt any more. Shears are better quality than Geib but very inexpensive.
      I will not buy anything from Geib again because they have bad reputation about their customer services.
      I was actually just wondering how Jeff's shears are! I'm glad you posted this! I want to buy a new set, but don't want to sacrifice quality for my budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretzel View Post
        I was actually just wondering how Jeff's shears are! I'm glad you posted this! I want to buy a new set, but don't want to sacrifice quality for my budget.
        Personally, I love Jeff's shears.
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I used to buy Geib shears, but never had them sharpened by them (too much $), instead always having my shears sharpened by Jeff at NT. Anyhoo, about three years ago, I bought the Avanti Cobalt 3 piece set. On my third or fourth day after receiving them, I went to use the thinning shears and they had a hitch (didn't drop them or anything). Sent them back to Geib (only cause they were days old!) With my credit card number (cause I had used them very lightly on clean hair) to have them fixed. Received back the shears (that still caught and didn't work right) with a very terse note saying they had a nick and a BIG zero with a line through it taking up the whole rest of the invoice (seriously). I didn't appreciate their accusitory tone, especially since my husband had paid $268 for bogus shears and I had fully expected to pay to have them fixed properly which should have been clear to Geib when I included my credit card information. Ended up sending them straight away to Jeff to fix for me. This was not my first encounter with Geib's lack of customer service, but it was my last. Won't be purchasing from them again.

Comment

Well that puts a sour taste in my mouth. I'm already researching alternatives.

Comment

I happens ALL the time. I was at their booth in FL one year looking at a 400 pair of shears when he was arguing with someone about that very topic. she was ADAMANT and had a receipt from a month earlier from him. He WILL NOT honor your warranty regardless unless you are a GT member. It isn't happening.
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Great. Now I know I can just get mine sharpened by my guy.

Comment

I had never heard about their poor customer service reputation before. I did however hear a story from Hershey, and this is secondhand because I was not the one directly involved. I was standing in line in the coffee shop with the woman who looked very upset. Making conversation I just asked her what was going on. She told me she'd given guy at Geib 7 pairs of scissors to be sharpened. She did this when she first arrived for the weekend. On Sunday morning they were still looking for the scissors because they could not find them. She was upset understandably. She was angry because they were accusing her of Leung them after the fact - but they had no record of her payment information to support that statement. That made me even more convinced to stick with Jeff.

Comment

It happened to me. Brand new shears. I was in grooming school. Tried them the first time after buying them at Atlanta Pet Fair the day before. They had a nick. The teacher called Geib and he said I must have dropped them.

Comment

Thank you all for the recommendation of Jeff @ NT, I will look into getting my future shears from him.

Comment

I had my issue with Geib like this too and haven't bought Geib since.

Comment

No personal experience with them myself, but have read tons of this type of thing over the years. Wouldn't go near them. Someone ought to email them this thread.
                          The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

My groomer just had this same problem and turning red too!

Comment

Wow....this is the first I hv heard about such bad customer service w/ Geib. I sent 9 pairs to them in September. Took 4 wks; when I called and could get thru to talk with someone about the delay, they were very pleasant. But I was not happy w/ the turn around. Getting ready to send Jeff @ NT blades and shears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X