No announcement yet.

shears feel like I'm cutting sandpaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shears feel like I'm cutting sandpaper?

I absolutely love my new shears that I purchased in Atlanta. They are awesome finishing shears and do a great job...for the most part. There are times when I am scissoring (i'e. a bichon head), that all of a sudden they feel very strange, like there's sandpaper on each side of the blade rubbing against each other as they open and close. It doesn't affect the performance, but it feels odd and I've never had this happen before. I know it must be the short hairs stuck to the blades, but what can I do to prevent the hair from sticking? Is it normal to have to get rid of the hair? I've never had to do that with a pair of shears before.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

If I get that catching feeling on my scissors, I'll rub a little oil on the insides and the length of the blade (don't slice your fingers!) Then wipe it off with a towel. That usually helps.

Comment

Does the tension change too? Does it seem to happen on certain coat types or any of them?

The washer under the screw head may be broken/missing or the pivot area may have a burr in it. What brand scissors are they? You can email or pm me if you don't want to post the it here.

Tim
      Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
      123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

I find that happend when I get a burr on the blade. Sometimes it is hard to see it. Send them to the Blade Guyz or the manufacturer and have them fix it:-)

Comment

They're Kenchi Starlite shears...Like I said, I absolutely love them and they work great except for when this happens. They'll be cutting smooth and beautifully and then all of a sudden it feels "scratchy". I've only been using them for finishing on bichon and poodle heads and it seems to happen when I'm toward the end cutting very little pieces of hair. They're curved.
          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

so when you take normal cuts it feels fine, but taking the short cuts using only that last inch or so of the scissor it gets "crunchy" sounds like the pivot area of the shear at he screw. I would call the manufacturer and let them know of your problem and see what they will do for you. It might be just the washer or the pivot area may have a defect. Kenchi has been very good about handling any customer concerns so give them a call. If they can't help check with who you bought it from.

Tim
            Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
            123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

Is there a method to sharpen pinking shears at home? I know I could take them to the fabric store and have the once-a-week guy do it, but I'm wondering if there's a home method.I did a search and saw that you could use aluminum foil (cutting it) to sharpen them, has anyone tried this? Don't want to ruin my 40+ yrs. old shears.

Comment

Hmm, strange. I have never encountered a similar problem

Comment

Originally posted by mshane View Post
                  Is there a method to sharpen pinking shears at home? I know I could take them to the fabric store and have the once-a-week guy do it, but I'm wondering if there's a home method.I did a search and saw that you could use aluminum foil (cutting it) to sharpen them, has anyone tried this? Don't want to ruin my 40+ yrs. old shears.
                  Wow never heard of using foil??

Comment

Working...
                  X