blade storage on magnet bar ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blade storage on magnet bar ok?

A saw another groomer do this & thought "How cool".
    My hubby says no.

Advice?
    Thanks
    Erica

reason?

Did hubby give a reason why not?

I am failing to see why it would harm them.

If the did become polarized I would think both parts of the blade would tend to repel one another. But hardly enough to make a difference to overcome to force of the spring.

Also I would tend to think it would not hold the charge very long and once it started to move rapidly back and forth and heat up this would speed up the pace of the polarization being lost.

Not sure though. I guess also it would depend on what type of magnet you used.

Jason

Comment

Reason not to use magnet strip

My hubby said the reason you shouldn't use the magnet strip is because the blades will hold some magnetism, so that as you use them and the blades rub together shaving micro pieces of metal off, the metal shavings will stay stuck to the blade wearing your blades dull much quicker. He told me a long time ago not to use a magnet strip.
      Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

My former boss used to use them, she never mentioned any problems.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

The blades will get magnetism form being on the bar and also from general use on the clipper. I have had blades come in that you could not pull apart becasue of the magnetism, but could slide it just fine. The problem with a blade being magnetized is it will attract any metal in the the dirt ect. and this will dull the blade.

Tim
          Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
          123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

Originally posted by lovessharpening View Post
            The blades will get magnetism form being on the bar and also from general use on the clipper. I have had blades come in that you could not pull apart becasue of the magnetism, but could slide it just fine. The problem with a blade being magnetized is it will attract any metal in the the dirt ect. and this will dull the blade.

Tim
            Is that a yea or nay Tim??? Curious myself.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbarber View Post
              Is that a yea or nay Tim??? Curious myself.
              Sounds like a "Nay" to me....lol
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Funny

I think if you like dull blades its a yay, or as in go ahead. But if you are like what I percieve as most of us, you'd prefer sharp blades especially if you plan on clipping, so I'd say for sharpies it's a NAY.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

it is a NAY. This is the same problem for people that sew, the scissor become magnetized and pick up the pins as they cut and you can imagine what happens to a scissor edge when it tries to cut a metal pin!

Tim
                  Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
                  123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

Told that that was a BIG NO-NO...

magnatizing the blades has a adverse effect on them.

Comment

Working...
                    X