Slicker Brush on blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicker Brush on blade

Ok, I have a question, hoping Jeff or Tim will chime in as they are the experts on this type of stuff, lol.

I was always taught that I could take a slicker brush and swipe out the hair that gets clogged in a blade. You know, say you are doing a wet dog, and the blade gets clogged. I always do it on the top side, and always when it's off. I have never seen any adverse reactions, but for all I know it is causing problems over the long run. So I guess what I am asking is am I causing harm doing that?

Thanks
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

I have always had a worse time using a slicker than when I use a very cheap hard toothbrush

Comment

I used a slicker once to clean the hair out of a brand new blade. It never worked again. Now I just use a toothbrush.
      Deanne

Comment

when i started grooming, i saw the other groomers do that too. but i did it while the clipper was ON!! big mistake, took out a few bristles and i was like whoops! never did that again.

Comment

I've always used a toothbrush. When I get a new one the old one get taken to work!

Comment

This is a good question, I did a sanitary on a cat the other day and the poor thing had a solid poop stuck to his butt, so now I have a 15 and 30 blade that are dull and have poop stuck in the blades, even after cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawshpooch View Post
              when i started grooming, i saw the other groomers do that too. but i did it while the clipper was ON!! big mistake, took out a few bristles and i was like whoops! never did that again.
              Yeah, lol I do know that it is a big no no to do it when it's on!

Comment

This a common practice with groomers. It is best to use a hard bristle brush instead of the steel ones. Reason is the steel bristles will damage the edge of the cutting teeth, especially if the clipper is on. Plus why use your slicker brush to clean out all of that crude and then go use it on the next dog?

Try using your HV, canned air, or an air compressor to blow out the teeth. Now if the blade has been left overnight with crud in it, soak it in H-42 for about 15 minutes and then use a stiff bristle tooth or denture brush to clean the teeth out.

Tim
                Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
                123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

Thank you so much. I kinda knew that that was what the answer would be, but it's gonna be tough to change routine.

If I get crud in their I will use the HV, just a lot of times it's a pain to turn on the HV, and do it.

I will invest in a stiff brush.

thanks again!

Comment

toothbrush for me

I use a toothbrush and canned air. Works fine for me. Also a pipe cleaner, as Jeff suggested, on mini Moser or Laube Speed Feed.

Comment

as long as the clippers are off..i have done this for almost 20 years and still have blades from almost 20 years. i have worked with tons of groomers that are always buying new blades and having them sharpened far more than i do...i do keep my blades clean and oiled,( i also use my blades on dirty dogs )as well as clean them with a slicker....i rarely buy new blades.

Comment

I now use a stiff clipper brush too...I had use a slicker before, but like others said the crud is no fun to get off once on the slicker. Yuckola! Maggy, if I were you I'd take a toothbrush to your cruddy blade with some soapy water. After crud like that, I just like good ole soap for cleaning - then follow up with blade cleaner and oil. I don't know if it's the best thing for the blades or not, but I just have a thing for soap and it feels so much more clean to me when I use it. And I too have learned not to use the brushes on the blades when the clippers on...I have LOTS of brissel-less toothbrushes laying around. I keep 1 in plain sight, to remind me what not to do. lol Lauren isn't it funny how we sometimes really know what to do, we just need someone to tell us so we'll listen (this is so me) - too funny - at least we're honest.

Comment

Originally posted by milhasavilla View Post
                          I now use a stiff clipper brush too...I had use a slicker before, but like others said the crud is no fun to get off once on the slicker. Yuckola! Maggy, if I were you I'd take a toothbrush to your cruddy blade with some soapy water. After crud like that, I just like good ole soap for cleaning - then follow up with blade cleaner and oil. I don't know if it's the best thing for the blades or not, but I just have a thing for soap and it feels so much more clean to me when I use it. And I too have learned not to use the brushes on the blades when the clippers on...I have LOTS of brissel-less toothbrushes laying around. I keep 1 in plain sight, to remind me what not to do. lol Lauren isn't it funny how we sometimes really know what to do, we just need someone to tell us so we'll listen (this is so me) - too funny - at least we're honest.
                          It is so true, lol. I really in the back of my mind knew the answer, it's just so hard to change routine!

Comment

My boss that taught me to groom taught me to get the crud out with the slicker brush too. But I ended up using tooth brushes. I went thru those so fast that I started using the HV dryer and a tooth brush for the hard to clean ones.
                            Becky

Comment

I use a thing that is in the sewing machine dept. at Joanns. It's just like a little brush on metal handle. It works great.

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...&source=search

Comment

Working...
                              X