Andis died on Sat. of all days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andis died on Sat. of all days!

Nothing. No clicking, no "turning over", nothing. I tried turning it on, and it was just dead. Could it be the blade drive? Or if it doesn't even sound like it's turning on is that the switch? Help!

Also, my Laube Shark NEVER works right for me. At this rate I'll never buy a Laube again. Is it a faulty clipper? faulty blades? faulty operator???
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Don't give up on Laube clippers ... I have two of them (iVac & Speed Feed) and I love them both. I've retired my Andis AGC II clippers to a back up position now.

Comment

I had this happen one time after changing the blade drive. There is two little white pieces of plastic that are like rectangles over the switch (internally). I noticed I was missing one. Once that was fixed, it worked reasonably well. I am not the clipper master though. I order approx one a year and label them per year. I have about four spares now. I through out or gave away all the rest. At least our shop has spares now. Kind of expensive though!

Comment

How were the clippers working before Saturday?
        I have had cords, switches, and motors all go out before. The only one that was a "sudden death", was the motor- I had put too much oil on a blade, and the motor shot sparks before going 'pffft'. If it isn't even turning on, the problem probably doesn't lie in the blade drive.

Comment

First which model is it Ag or AGC? The AG's are known for the brushes sticking and this will make a clipper go dead all of a sudden. You can gently tap on the black brush caps you see on the outside of the case with a screwdriver handle to see if this will loosen the brush. Other causes can be a switch, cord, or armature.

Tim
          Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
          123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

I had one of my Andis clippers do the same thing a few years ago.... But mine would NOTturn on one time, then I "forgot" that one was broken a few days later, and turned it on just fine. Switched clippers for a moment (I keep 3-4 clippers loaded at a time--all different colors/models of Andis--with the most "popular" blades). Pick the "broken" one back up, it wouldn't start....

So I sent it to my blade/clipper guru; he said one of the wires on the switch was loose. This was the Andis AG ("square") super-two-speed--the one you have to take completely apart to switch drives. I must have loosened the wire when I switched the drive. If I held the clipper just right, the loose wire was making contact with the switch, so that was why it would turn on sometimes.

Short version.... might well be a minor problem; don't toss the clipper! :-D

Comment

My power groom did the same thing I only had it for a couple of days I was working on a dog and all of a sudden it was dead wouldnt turn on

Comment

I want to say it's the AGC, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. It's the redish, round, 2 speed. I didn't think it was blade drive either, cause it seems to be something before that, since the clipper didn't even sound like it was trying to start. It was working fine, I put it down, and picked it up a little later to finish the dog, and nothing. Just silence.

I'm thinking switch or cord, due to the lack of power reaching the motor. Not sure what armature is.
                Erin
                No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

You have the AGC Super 2 Andis.

Armature is the motor part of the clipper that the brushes push against. They can "short" out taking the switch out too. It is best to have the armature checked out by someone to see if it is bad or you will end up buying two switches.

You can do a quick test on the cord too. Turn the clipper on and hold it in one hand. With the other hand twist the cord around at the base of the clipper and if the clipper turns on/off you have a bad cord.

Third possibility is the brushes have gotten wet and not making good contact with the armature. If this has happened the clipper will need to be cleaned out properly to get any of the wet residue out of it and new brushes put in.

Tim
                  Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
                  123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

Oster verses Laube Ivac

When I used oster exclusively due to clipper vac head, i would have rto replace lever that moves the blade fairly regularly. A month or two. Now I have had the Ivac since mid december. I figure eventually it will stop cutting as I don't use any other clippers now. Will I have to send the entire clipper back to Laube for a new lever? What have you done and how often? I probably don't groom as many dogs as most of you. I love the Ivac and wish I had two or more in the wings. But @ the big price, i am still paying off my credit card. I will buy more laubes as i can afford.I cannot work without the clipper vac suction. I shudder to think I will have to give it up for repair. Ryans does not work on Laubes. B. Bird would know the answer. I must ask her after I wait to hear from you guys.My current one is pink...I want them in every color!!!! Also any Laube w/ suction I want. You would think Andis and Oster would get busy on the drawing board....If all groomers knew how awesome the Ivac is, I can't imagine they would want anything else.I can't imagine people who don't use their CV!To me, that would be like brushing a dog with a dinner fork.Tiny dogs use the salad fork..haha.Then there is that proverbial popsicle stick.That is how I would feel without my CLipper Vac!!!!

Comment

Both of my AGC's have had their cords replaced. One has had 2 new swithes and after 6 monthes of use completly died (needed a new motor). I now have 2 AGC's, 3 Oster (one single speed turbo, and 2 two speed turbos), Wahl Arco, and a old school pink Laube. And they've all been to the repair shop at least once. Don't feel to bad they can be fixed but don't you wish it was on some super slow day and not Sat.

My groomer friends call me "El Destructo" for a reason!

I forgot had an AG shoot sparks form the outlet, and then catch fire! Those got chunked in the tarsh, that day.
                      Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Working...
                      X