what is and is not a grooming disinfectant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is and is not a grooming disinfectant

i thought this warranted a fresh post. there is nothing more important than making sure before you work on that next dog, that all surfaces and tools used on the previous dog has been properly disinfected.
    the products listed are by no means all that is available it is simply what i use.
    1. clipercide- it is a germicidal, fungicidal,pseudomonicidal, virucidal, and tuberculocidal. i'll spray all tools, tables, nooses and harnesses with it. yes it is more expensive, but it is quick and not messy.

2. Davis Dakil- disinfectant, pseudomonicidal, staphylocidal, salmonellacidal, bactericidal, fungicide, mildewstatic, and virucidal. i'll use it to disinfect the tub after each bath, because it will be rinsed away. also will use it at the end of the day to clean entire truck.

you could use a 10% bleach solution. key being 10%.

what is NOT a disinfectant is rubbing alcohol. according to the label it is a rubefacient and a topical antimicrobial. it is used to clean out boo boos. you should have a bottle in your first aid kit.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I use H-42, and it's great, non-greasy, doesn't stink, lasts forever, kills all kinds of things (I don't have the bottle next to me or I'd type it)

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

i typed out the labels from the products just to make a point.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I use H42 on all my blades and scissors. The table, loops, brushes, combs and anything else I use Parvolan.

Comment

I use Kennel Care

detergent disinfectant. It cleans, kills bacteria and fungus, but the main reason I love it is it is said to kill Parvo. I use it at the stronger strength as a spray on.
            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Oops, I failed to mention Parvolan, but Helly reminded me. Everything else gets Parvolan. No smell at all.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

although bleach is widely used in the pet industry as a disinfectant it should not be used at all in shops that cater to feline clientel for tables kennels ect its even bad on floors.after being employed for an all animal vet hospital i found that the use of bleach as a cleaning agent is accually harmful to pets ecspecially cats.as bleach does leave a residue behind even at 10% dilution.the pat once in contact tends to lick there paws and in fact injest this residue .later causing health issues with the pet .this can also be trouble for dogs as well but it is very much so with cats. we were instucted to use simple green solution on on all the kennels .and even the boarding facility area .however I also catered to those pets that were FIV and feline LUK posetive.for those that also cater to this special case clients to avoid spread of these deadly diseases avoid placing any other cats in these cages or areas even after disinfected for a minimum of 48 hrs to avoid spread of these deadly viruses.as these are also concidered airborn pathagins

Comment

Do yall disinfect the grooming loop between dogs? And the bath tub--is spraying it OK or do you wipe it out?

I've wondered about something. When taking a dog in to see the vet, he'll be wiping down the table after the previous dog, right before placing mine on it. So the table's really not getting disinfected between dogs? Doesn't it take 10 minutes?

I use H-42 for blades, Barbicide, 91 % alcohol, and Oster spray disinfectant for combs, scissors, & tools, and Kenic Ken'L-Lan for tables, floors, towels, etc., and bleach.

You know, one of my favorite things to use for thorough disinfection is my Ozone generator--wouldn't want to be without it. Ozone gets in cracks and crevices, killing all the nasties, and purifies the air. People are always remarking how clean my shop smells.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread, because it has made me realize there's a lot I need to learn about disinfectants. So far, I've found a couple of interesting articles that might be helpful to others too.

One is from the Iowa State University website and is titled "Disinfection 101." There's a chart at the bottom titled "Characteristics of Selected Disinfectants" that shows what they're effective against.
                    Here's the link:
                    http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/brm/res...101Feb2005.pdf

The other article is from the same website and has the same chart, but the article is about "Zoonotic Disease Prevention in Veterinary Personnel." Other than the chart, there's not a lot of information about disinfectants, but the safety precautions to protect our health while working with animals is what interested me. There's a second chart at the bottom that lists Zoonotic Diseases and how they're transmitted.
                    Here's that link:
                    http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/BRM/res...recautions.pdf

Sheri

Comment

I've owned human salons, so I am really aware of proper sanitation and disinfection. It's important to thoroughly clean items prior to disinfecting them in order for disinfectants to work properly. It's also very important to measure disinfectants acurately and follow use directions properly for them to be effective. I also keep all MSDS for these chemicals on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by DogCrazy View Post
                        Do yall disinfect the grooming loop between dogs? And the bath tub--is spraying it OK or do you wipe it out?

I've wondered about something. When taking a dog in to see the vet, he'll be wiping down the table after the previous dog, right before placing mine on it. So the table's really not getting disinfected between dogs? Doesn't it take 10 minutes?

I use H-42 for blades, Barbicide, 91 % alcohol, and Oster spray disinfectant for combs, scissors, & tools, and Kenic Ken'L-Lan for tables, floors, towels, etc., and bleach.

You know, one of my favorite things to use for thorough disinfection is my Ozone generator--wouldn't want to be without it. Ozone gets in cracks and crevices, killing all the nasties, and purifies the air. People are always remarking how clean my shop smells.
                        should read mercola.com on what he says about ozone machines..

Comment

I've always was told that using bleach WHILE THE ANIMALS WERE THERE could cause respiratory problems ...however...using it after closing with proper ventilation..it is fine. I also have a cat that lives at my shop. I mop with bleach every night, hes never been sick....ever..and hes 9 years old!

Comment

Edited.
                            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Hairdevil, I didn't see what you're referring to--just did a quickie search. I did a lot of reading about using Ozone in my shop before investing in a machine. I'm very comfortable and happy with it's use.

Comment

Working...
                              X