Blade Befuddlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Befuddlement

Ok, I'm about to rip my hair out on this, so I'm praying that someone can provide me with a solution. :-)

One of my co-workers bought a Wahl 10W that I fell in love with. I went to buy one on PetEdge, but saw the Master Grooming Tools one for cheaper (Yeah, I know...). Well, when I got it, I cleaned and oiled it like I do with all my blades and the thing wouldn't cut. I've tried recleaning it, oiling it, running it for a few minutes, etc. but it STILL won't cut. I thought it was a faulty blade, so I got myself a Wahl as well. Same problem! It won't cut.

Another of my coworkers bought herself a Wahl and a Laube 10W and neither of them cuts either. What the heck is up?! Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get these brand new blades to cut? They're indispensable when it comes to #10 shavedowns. :-(

First it is not uncommon for blades not to cut out of the package, which is why I test any blade I sell before handing it to the customer. Second, wider blades need to have a clipper in good running condition. So if the blade drive has not been changed in the last two months check it. The hinge could also be worn or damaged. Blade may have a loose or tight socket and needs to be adjusted to your clipper. Did you try another clipper just to make sure the blade acutally was not working?

Tim
    Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
    123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

How long?

Does anyone know how long the lever and or blade hinge you push to remove blade lasts on IVac? It is hard to push -snap blade on. I have had it all of january. But do not groomnearly as much as a shop. New/ reconditioned Laubes do not cut.They tested them when they recond them and put back in boxes. But not on my Ivac!sooooo frustrating!!!They always charge, even if not my fault. had them over 30 days...saving them. Should have tested them sooner.

Comment

I started w/ OsterI didn't know Andis when I bought my first Oster in 1965

I do not know when Andis came out. Fine until I got clipper Vac..not way to secure to head. Oster has supported my business foe many years. A5Turbo cost me a vet bill. I thinl dangerous...motor noise but blade stopped and caught elbo skin. little poodel always held arms tight. I call front legs arms and army pits. Cost more than new clipper. I sent it back for reg 2speed a5. never thought of laube. Had battery ones but never charged and did not last. Need to send one older one for repair. don't like bulky plug...takesuo nearly two outlets. cable driver double K gets hot FAST but if really matted might try...usually go back to Oster or Ivac. I think the laubes need to go back..BY now they must have had others... They were in storage at Ryans for a few years!!! a discount is only as good as the product works.I once used Royal Jelly a rust remover on all my blades...recommended by a pet supplier. BIG mistake...ruind pitted. Bill should have replaced all 30-40 of my blades foe that blunder.No, not the vitamin. It is navel Jelly or some odd name like that.Still waiting for Groom-o-Matic. hahaha

Comment

Laube drives can last up to 6 months, but that depends on how well the blades are maintained. The drives are made to fail first to protect the clipper and if blades are tight or wobbly the drive and hinge will wear even faster.

The hinge should last many months, but rattling blades will damage a hinge really fast. Most blades out of the package are not set to fit that brand of clipper as the blade which is why we put a video on our site www.thebladeguyz.com showing how to adjust the sockets and there is even a video on how to put a blade on the Laube clippers correctly. Laube hinges are a two stage hinge to keep the blade from flying off the clipper from the extra torque and speed of the Laubes, so it is best to push up on the blade latch as you put on a blade. If you are using an Andis clipper the hinges are wider on them so the socket ears spread apart and then the blade will "rock" on a Laube hinge and start to damage it. You have to make sure the blade is fully latched on the Laube hinge or you start to experience blade problems within a few days. If you take a blade that is not cutting on the Laube and it works fine on an Oster, Andis, Wahl, etc., check the drive tip for wear. If only the very tip of the drive is wearing than the blade is not latching on to the hinge fully so only a small portion of the drive is moving the cutting and when it wears it slips out of the cutter slot causing blade cutting issues.

Tim
          Tim Love............... Love's Sharpening
          123 A Hwy 80 E., #3

Clinton, MS 39056....phone: 601-529-1973

Comment

Tip about blades

If you have 10 or more blades sharpened at a time...don't save them up...test each one asap. you only have 30 days. If yiu wait and it doesn'r cut...tuff luck. Also keep dates handy in a file of when blades and scissors sharpened. Or on calendar. I also keep record of mileage ea. New Years Eve write on appt book calendar. Gen hours too in appt book. 12/30...time to check hrs. oiul change best every 150 hrs. sprk plugs less often.Oh, and that drive from He--. 150 hrs change your generator oil...if they didn't tell you. keep track of hours NOW. You will be glad you did.

Comment

Working...
            X