Where/how do I start!? Looking to start a small business - possibly mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where/how do I start!? Looking to start a small business - possibly mobile

Hello! I've been grooming dogs and cats for a long time. Nearly 20 years. I have been grooming dogs since I was a small child really. I love dogs so much, and cats too. I've groomed for family and friends but I've never done it as a career. But I am now thinking of doing just that. I would work for myself, and either start a small business near home or possibly a mobile grooming service. But I don't know where to even begin! Do I need to be certified/licensed? If so, are online schools good? I wouldn't have any choice but to go the online route if it comes to that. Any and all tips will be very appreciated! Thank you.

I won't be a good help with license and all because I don't know anything about your country laws. But I can tell, you really should enter to a good school for training, grooming dogs from friends and family is different to groom professionally, you have to handle clients and dogs.
    Forget online school, I think that's the same everywhere, you can't learn in front of a screen.
    The best thing to do is to go to school then work a little time for someone else so you can really see how a salon works!

Comment

Is there a salon near you? Do you have any interest in working for a salon or a mobile groomer? Perhaps you could start out bathing dogs or working as an assistant groomer. Beginning groomers are sometimes hired to bath and dry dogs, trim the nails, clean the ears, and edge the paw fur. Since speed is a big part of being able to make a living as a groomer, you would be able to see how professional groomers handle grooming pets at a fast speed.
      If you prefer to work alone, you can start by looking at some of the excellent videos provided online and purchasing some grooming books. There is a lot of great information on this site, so just start by searching and reading extensively here. Good luck!

Comment

At this point grooming is hobby for you. At this point you need proper on hands training on ALL breeds including proper handling. Take the advice of Frenchie and Emma. You need to start at the ground floor and this is going to take some time. Erase everything you know now. Once you get in the trenches its a whole nother ballgame. This is why you need proper training.
        Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Working...
        X