Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never realize how much improvement you need till you're critiqued....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never realize how much improvement you need till you're critiqued....

I have sent in some of my grooms to be critiqued by my mentor with ISCC for my certification to see where I need to improve before I take my technicals. I know there is lots of room for improvement, hence my working on my certification to improve my skills. I really thought I was going to slammed for my scissor skills and was totally side swiped when I was told I need to improve my clipper skills! ouch! My mentor has been sssooo super helpful and honest and I love working with her. I guess I wasn't quite prepared to hear that some of my grooming 101 skills are where I need the most improvement. Can't wait for the next round of critiques as I have to send a video of the Cocker I plan on using for one of my technicals. Anxious to find out what she thinks! Wish me luck I won't get slammed to hard...LOL
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

what an awesome way to get specific help from someone who knows what they are talking about. i often post pics for critiques but either get only "cute" type comments or critique that is simply personal preference. its valuable to receive such advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
      what an awesome way to get specific help from someone who knows what they are talking about. i often post pics for critiques but either get only "cute" type comments or critique that is simply personal preference. its valuable to receive such advice.
      But Itza, your grooms ARE cute!

Comment

Itza- you're technical skills are the envy of many of us on this board. If there are many like me ( and I'll get there are) your pics are printed out and kept as guides for ideas and even creating finished looks.

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
          But Itza, your grooms ARE cute!
          I agree, because even if she does have any technical flaws, they all are so cute it's so easy to overlook anything that might need improvement!
          Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Sometimes I feel like once we think we've mastered a part or skill, we let the simple things slide. I myself found that once I felt I was getting really nice round faces, my feet and leg work went downhill. We tend to focus too much on a single part of the dog and forget to take that step back and look at the whole picture. Just because something seems easy to do, doesn't mean you can let it go and never try to improve more. In this industry there is always something to learn and get better at.

Comment

OK you asked for it...* disclaimer* we will not be held responsible for damaged electronics when you spit your drink out...**

I have improved huge over even the last 5 years and here's proof: this is a Bichon Shihtzu named T.J. pic is from 2010
              Same dog, groom from Wednesday, Oct 21,2015

I still buy DVDs, books, etc. Jody Murphy, super styling, Olga new magazines and DVDs, Asian fusion how to book, webinars on Asian style, I belong to NAPCG which has improved my grooming a ton since I joined, I post pictures for critique.
              And it's good to get feedback and make sure your not in your own little world thinking that what you learned 20 years ago is just fine. And it keeps me from getting burnt out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Itza,even your 5-year old groom looks fabulous, you just changed style now (and it's even more fabulous!)
                You are lucky to have clients that let you turn their dogs into adorable plush toys.
                Wish here in Arizona people wanted something more creative than "7 all over and as short as possible over the eyes"!

Comment

Itza,even your 5-year old groom looks fabulous, you just changed style now (and it's even more fabulous!)
                  You are lucky to have clients that let you turn their dogs into adorable plush toys.
                  Wish here in Arizona people wanted something more creative than "7 all over and as short as possible over the eyes"!
                  I ssooo agree!!! Living in the Adirondacks of Upstate NY everyone just wants short and easy to maintain and cost effective. We get a couple of clients here and there that wants more of a stylized cut, but then after a couple of grooms and they realize the upkeep, it's turns into a shorter and shorter cut every time they come in till next thing you know they start asking to just shave it down. "sigh"
                  Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Love your work itzaclip and helping many here.

Comment

Y'know there's an advantage to -30 winters!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree! And agree with you, too. I only have a couple of clients that let me be half way creative!!

Comment

Working...
                        X