Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going on my own in a few months.. need " Words of Encouragement"..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on my own in a few months.. need " Words of Encouragement"..

I am goin to start my own business in a few months. I am not scared of the grooming, but terrifed of going into this by myself.
    I am getting started a list of supplies and such.. but the moving in building and just overall getting started just scares me. I have always worked in a factory, but this profession has always interested me.

Does everyone feel this way?

No, lol

No, I was so young and dumb I just couldn't WAIT to start my salon after learning!! I didn't know enough to be scared, I think. That was about 25 years ago.

But I did fantastically well and enjoyed it and learned a lot - I'm sure part of your feelings are really excitement, too, aren't they? Try to focus on the good excitement, and get people to help you with the boring/overwhelming stuff so you can have as much fun as possible!

OR - just work for other people for a while if you are too worried. Learn more, get paid, low overhead, no lease - as long as you don't have a psycho boss/contractor, it can be really fun to do that, and you have much less responsibility!

Take your pick - you can always change your mind, you know.

Comment

Do you have any grooming experience?

Comment

Originally posted by alphipsu View Post
        Do you have any grooming experience?
        I am doing 3 to 5 dogs daily starting from the bath to the finshing the groom. I have done several complete shave downs of the 60 lb dogs. I am using combs or blades and doing all the faces on these dogs.

I finished my first miniature poodle yesterday with the pom poms. I was so excited. I have done the poodle feet many times.. but not the poms poms. Woohoo!!!!
        Last edited by shorty; 05-07-10, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Last year I started grooming after 17yrs of factory. I've found grooming and even the customer service to be so much easier to deal with than the BS that comes with the factory. I spent about 9 months bathing (was working 2 jobs), then 4 months grooming for what I call a high quantity "assembly line" groom shop.
          Now, while I don't own my own business, I am the only groomer. I do it the way I want, with products I like, with equiptment I love, and do whatever I can to continue learning.

Comment

Originally posted by shorty View Post

I finished my first miniature poodle yesterday with the pom poms. I was so excited. I have done the poodle feet many times.. but not the poms poms. Woohoo!!!!

So, if I walked into your new business with an overgrown Standard Poodle and asked you to put it into a Sweetheart clip, you'd be able to handle it?

Comment

Working...
            X