Not sure where to go from here....I'm new to this field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to go from here....I'm new to this field

I'm almost done with getting certified 400+ hrs of basic hands on training. I'm not sure where to go from here. I do believe in furthering my education, but I also want it to benefit me more then just experience. Am I considered a certified professional groomer since I will have my certification in 400+ hrs of basic hands on training? I have tried searching and I think I’m just confusing myself even more lol

Please help me understand!!

Thanks

The school I went to is considered a trade school... they have professional groomers on staff with 30+ years of experience but none are certified. So the only thing I can legally say is that I'm professionally trained. I do have a certificate but I wouldn't advertise myself as Certified unless I went through the process. This thread has a little info on it...

http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...hlight=certify

If I could do it all over again I would find someone who is certified by one of the national institutes and apprentice under them. I opened my own place right out of school, all alone. I made it but it was tough! My skills would have definitely approved 10 fold if I had someone with more experience to work with. This board is an exceptional place to further your education!

Comment

The place I'm going to is a registered training site for Nash Academy, but I don’t want to pay the 9K for Nash, its ridicules! The salon stated that I can just do the hands on under their name for $4,500 for 400+ hrs and it's the same hands on and basically I would be an apprentice. I’m going to the Intergroom in a couple weeks; hopefully I can find some good deals for my gear. Do you know of any good sites for men grooming apparel jackets or shirts?

That's great that you opened your own store. I think in the long run that is something that I would like to do. I'm not to sure about the mobile side of things, but def a store front. Do you have a website?

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth View Post
        The school I went to is considered a trade school... they have professional groomers on staff with 30+ years of experience but none are certified. So the only thing I can legally say is that I'm professionally trained. I do have a certificate but I wouldn't advertise myself as Certified unless I went through the process. This thread has a little info on it...

http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...hlight=certify

If I could do it all over again I would find someone who is certified by one of the national institutes and apprentice under them. I opened my own place right out of school, all alone. I made it but it was tough! My skills would have definitely approved 10 fold if I had someone with more experience to work with. This board is an exceptional place to further your education!

The place I'm going to is a registered training site for Nash Academy, but I don’t want to pay the 9K for Nash, its ridicules! The salon stated that I can just do the hands on under their name for $4,500 for 400+ hrs and it's the same hands on and basically I would be an apprentice. I’m going to the Intergroom in a couple weeks; hopefully I can find some good deals for my gear. Do you know of any good sites for men grooming apparel jackets or shirts?

That's great that you opened your own store. I think in the long run that is something that I would like to do. I'm not to sure about the mobile side of things, but def a store front. Do you have a website?

Comment

$9000 is a lot and I would never be able to pay for it either, I probably would have went the same route. I would have LOOOVED to go to Nash though! The school I went to is about $5000cdn and it's 500 hrs of hands on and classroom. It's a basic course for pet grooming, wouldn't come close to Nash. But it did give me the skills I needed to get here. I am on this board non stop trying to learn more, go to seminars, trade shows and workshops when I can.. which is difficult living in Eastern Canada. If you can find someone with lots of experience to work with it would be a major bonus! As for mens grooming wear... I think most of the sizing is generic.. some are fitted, but most of them arent. I don't wear nylon grooming stuff.. I have smocks but I found they made me feel like a big blob, and they're warm in the summer. I wear hospital scrubs and have a few different aprons. Petedge has some nice ones. My website is www.tidytails.ca =)

Comment

Hmm where are you located at? Im in louisville , ky and our job is hiring and there willing to train they have ha d many Nash Grads. that have come work for them.

Comment

Im actually in NJ...but thanks! lol

Comment

I would do as others suggested.. go to seminars, this board, books etc. Aside from that your best teacher will probably be when you get your first job and accumulate experience before going on your own. You are getting the basics in school, even if you apprenticed at a shop per se, you would have learned the basics. Experience will teach you a lot, esp when working with or under experienced groomers that have been there and done that. I think a minimum of 3yrs experience will teach you a wide array of things. before thinking of striking on your own. even then you will learn something new all the time from your peers. You will be amazed of what you didnt know and will be able to put that into practice and begin to perfect your skills. I should say some but not most can be succesfull straight out of school.

Jodi Murphy is comming out with a line of male apparel, you may wanna check that out. She has really nice women's wear, so her men's wear may end up being as nice. Not sure of what other places have for men, but Petedge and ryan's pet supply has mens wear but they are reg smocks I think. May also check out the Shampoo Lady for groomwear.

Comment

IMO, and I know others differ, but if you received a certificate from your school you have every right to say you are a certified groomer through XYZ grooming school. I don't consider it dishonest. Now if you are saying your a CMG or NCMG and did not get certified through them, then I consider it a fraudulent claim. I don't understand why people get so upset when someone who has graduated from school adn recieved their certificate of graduation and ONLY advertise that. Most clients have NO IDEA what it means to be certified through a school versus one of the orgs like the NDGAA or IPG. You have put a lot of time and effort and money into this, you should have the right to let others know.
                  What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

As for as becoming a Master Groomer which one do you feel is the best NDGAA or IPG? I know I'm new to all this but it doesnt seem very easy to become this. I mean I know it shouldnt be easy, but it's a bit confusing on how you become a master groomer.

Comment

Working...
                    X