How can I get licensed or certified?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get licensed or certified?

Are there different options to getting certified or licensed?

I had heard you need to pick a few different breed of dogs with close to conformational body type, and grow them into show cut etc.
    That just is NOT feasible for me.

Is there a difference in being "certified" or "Licensed" and what can I do to become one or the other or both that doesn't have to do with using other peoples pets for months on end and traveling 500+ miles??

I am a very good groomer, and have skills surpassing my 2 years of experience and am always wanting to learn and improve. I would love to be licensed and certified. All I have been to is petsmarts grooming school which was no good I quit that company 6 months after completing thank god.
    I have been learning and improving on my own since. I don't have the time or will to go to a "school" again but would like to prove my skills for myself and clients and future clients

Thanks

There is currently no licensing of groomers. if someone says they have one they may be refering to a business lisence or they are blowing smoke.

Certifications-there is once again no legislation to be 'certfied' BUT you can acheive Certified Master Groomer status.

There are three organizations; IPG (International Dog Groomers), NDGA (National Dog Groomers Assiciation) ISCC

yes they are NOT easy to attain, there is studying and testing and you may have to travel but you will learn and can acheive master groomer status. You may be lucky and not have to travel but if you are like me it is costing thousands and thousands for all the travel to get to the testing sites but for me it is worth it, I just save like crazy and travel when I can

Comment

I think it's important to remember, groomers can be just as proficient with the certification as without it. I think it's great and I'd love to have it myself but like you, it's not feasible.
      That Tenacious Terrier!
      www.thattenaciousterrier.com
      https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

See I have no problems with any kind of testing, written, visual/hands on etc.
        But I am really not willing to travel for it

Maybe one day it will be more readily available. I didn't know there was no licensing though.
        I knew there was no requirement for licensing/certification of course, It would be nice to have to show future clients I do know what I am doing, am safe, and am professional and good at my job.

Comment

going to seminars, shows, competitions will teach you more than you'd think. It is hard to get certified but so worth it.
          BUT, if that's not possible right now, find a show that you can get to and go to it! It's well worth the money and a whole world of learning and meeting others who can give you a tip or two.
          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

I'm working on my certification through ISCC (International Society of Canine Cosmetologists). There are a number of written exams that you study for on your own and then you just have to be in contact with a proctor (hopefully there is one not too far from you) so you can take them. There are also practical exams, which you will have to provide your own dogs for. For ISCC's Dermatech certification, the dogs do not have to be show quality, since it is all about evaluating their skin and coat. For the Master Pet Stylist certification you need to do 3 practical exams (poodle or bichon for scissoring, cocker spaniel or other sporting breed for thinning/blending techniques, and a terrier for handstripping), and for those you will need dogs with longer coats. But the point is to showcase your talents in making the dog look as close to the standard as possible, so it is not necessary to have a dog with a perfect body but you do need hair to work with.

A little birdie told me that ISCC is working on making it possible to take the written exams online, but I'm not sure if they still are going through with that. However there are a number of other resources available online including Nash's few online courses, and you can always order DVDs (I like Jodi Murphy's and Super Styling Sessions DVDs) and books (Notes on a Grooming Table and Theory of 5 are must-have's for me).

Comment

Originally posted by lyttleravyn View Post
              I'm working on my certification through ISCC (International Society of Canine Cosmetologists). There are a number of written exams that you study for on your own and then you just have to be in contact with a proctor (hopefully there is one not too far from you) so you can take them.

A little birdie told me that ISCC is working on making it possible to take the written exams online, but I'm not sure if they still are going through with that.
              ISCC has looked into the possibility of online testing and would love to have that option available, but it will probably take quite a while to make it happen. Meanwhile, the proctor system does work well and is available to anyone interested in testing. You can find someone in your hometown to be your proctor. Once they are approved by the ISCC office, it is just a matter of requesting tests to be sent to your proctor and you meeting with the proctor to take the tests.

Who can be a proctor? Just about anyone . . . ISCC is just looking for someone who will handle the paperwork and assure that the integrity of the testing process is not compromised. Community colleges frequently offer proctor services. Other people have used teachers, librarians, veterinarians, secretaries, etc. as their proctor. One stipulation is that you don't use your employer, a family member or your "best friend" as a proctor. The other major stipulation is that if you are going to have someone within the grooming industry be your proctor, they must have already passed any tests that they are proctoring.

Comment

Working...
              X