Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which one..

is better?

school vs actual hands on at a small grooming shop?

Depends on the groomer and the school.

Comment

Both together.

Comment

School

and not some video course. With a school you have to follow a set program and that's what your paying for .when with a owner shop your only getting their view

Comment

Originally posted by sarahliz View Post
          ditto, totally depends on the school and what the shop is like. If it is a good school, that is up to date with the modern trends in grooming (like a school should be) then I would probably go with the school. If you can find someone who is really passionate about grooming and is aware with modern advancements in grooming, go with the shop. Let us know what you pick!

Comment

i know but the styles seem to be different... not sure which is which is better..

i heard about ALOT of groomers graduating from school but they sucked at grooming...(cant wait for our new groomer to get in..)

im currently working at a salon.. and is debating if i should go to school or stick at what im doing.

i was trying to learn from a VERY LAZY groomer.. and when i mean lazy her speeds depends on if shes in a rush or not...so it could take 3 hours for a dog or 1 hour..

but i know the owners would teach me theyve been wondering why i havent been learning from her and i finally told them why.

the groomer really didnt want to teach me.. whenever i asked she would just say its too busy or some other bs excuse...

well shes finally quitting this week.. and im wondering what the next step for me should be?

i know hygiene cuts.... (and how to do it without giving them a nasty burn)

i know how to do a clean cut shave... (my speed has improved ALOT compared to my first time..)

just the basic scissor trims thats looming over my head...

they do more of the japanese style grooming... where its round and small....like a cute little bear!

i wanna know which way to go since i am interested in getting certified by the ndga...

Comment

Originally posted by sarahliz View Post
              Exactly!

I went to school and it was ******! It did allow me to focus my attention 100% on learning without the stress of screwing up. Unfortunately as soon as I "graduated" I had to relearn everything they taught. But if you can go to a good school I think that is the best course.

I am currently training a groomer. I spend a lot of time thinking about how I'm teaching her and if I am teaching her properly. What I've decided is that the problem with learning from a groomer is that you are limited by her ignorance or prejudices. I teach Jenn that you should never do something a certain way so Jenn thinks you should never do something a certain way. BUT what if I am wrong and I just passed on my ignorance. Another disadvantage is that Jenn was kind of just thrown out there. She watched me for a week and then I started letting her try out stuff. But I am under pressure to still be productive, so what if I am not giving her the guidance that she needs. [Ah, the things that keep me up at night.]

So anyways, even though the school I went to was absolutely worthless, I am still glad that I went that way.

The advantage for the groomer I'm training is that she is still making money while learning a trade. She doesn't have the pressure to produce while she is learning. She also has a backup if she gets in a bind.
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Years ago when I learned, I had no choice but to apprentice as there weren't any schools. I learned all I could from her and had to keep educating myself further(you are never done learning). I would like to be able to say "yes, I graduated from so and so school of grooming" and be able to hang that certificate on my wall. Ideally school and apprenticeship both would be good. As long as the school has a good reputation, I would go to school if it was me. Good luck.

Comment

I can’t stress enough the importance of going to a reparable grooming school. Learn the basics first, work on all different breeds and get tested on your knowledge, know your short comings and rework the techniques until you get your certificate.

The downside of being apprenticed with a groomer is that she/he will be teaching you all of their bad habits, their shortcuts, work on limited number breeds that passes through their door, and you will never learn more than their grooming limits….

After all, you wouldn’t think about going to a dentist that was “self taught or mentored”, nor a lawyer, teacher, or what about going to your hair stylist/barber that didn’t have any schooling certificate. Anything worth while will cost you time and money, but you will NEVER be sorry by putting forth the effort.

I know a lot of groomers are “self taught” or mentored, but each one of them have missed an awful lot by taking the shortcut to their beloved profession.

Happy Applying to a school

Dolly’s Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I learned from a shop with 3 groomers 5 years ago and learned the basics but none of them ever made an effort to be a better groomer, they were happy with just getting the job done. Then 2 of them went out on there own and left me on my own to figure it out! I hate to think how those dogs must have looked! I love to watch other groomers work and see how they do things and take classes whenever I can. See if you can find groomers in your area who will let you hang out with them for the day and just watch and ask questions, be warned though everyone does things different so take it all in and form your own style.

Comment

joanne, thats what im thinking im planning to do to wagville and see if they will allow me..on my days off..

we get alot of different dogs in.. IE mini shnauz.. pomeranian..poodles.. with the occasional big dogs..but mainly yorkies shihtzu and malteses..

i think they do more bigger dogs since the neighborhood they are in are mainly housing..

yes i am getting paid... salary.. its not a bad pay since they are paying me for the extra work i do

but not sure which one to lean forward too.. any school recommendations in the los angeles area?

i heard from a groomer who had to end up going to 2 schools.. since the first one she went to it just didnt really prepare her for grooming..

Comment

Good School is Priceless Experience!!!!

I thought that I could learn to groom with videos and by apprenticing with a good groomer. I suppose that it could be done that way .... however, it is the hard way to do it. I'm now at the Paragon School of Pet Grooming and can't tell you how thankful I am that I chose this school!!! It has been great, so far (6 weeks) and I've learned so much and am not even half way through. I travelled from out of state to attend this school and it is well worth the money to do that!! No funny business like so many other shoddily run schools!

Comment

I learned from a groomer, not a school, and it worked very well for me. But I grew up around it (Grandparents were groomers) and had a natural knack for grooming. I also went to many seminars & workshops, and still go. And I'm working on getting my NCMG (passed 2 tests so far).

That said, I think if I'd have gone to school I would have gotten to the level I'm at now in 8 or 9 years instead of 11. It's a slower process to learn hands on.

So my vote would be for a combination. Perhaps take the basic class somewhere and then start working with someone. Although I would advise anyone considering paying for classes to at least go bathe/help at a groomers shop (even for free) for a couple weeks before finally deciding to pay for school.

Comment

meow?

Originally posted by arlaede View Post
                            I learned from a groomer, not a school, and it worked very well for me. ... (even for free) for a couple weeks before finally deciding to pay for school.
                            i know how to bathe.. properly.. hygiene..
                            just needa work on the styles and shaving...
                            im planning to open a shop.. somewhere not in la.. and is debating.. the schools here seems to have a VERY bad rep.. i know a groomer where she had to go to 3 schools to actually learn.. and be really confident

so im lost and confused... i did learn how to make lil cute booties on the paws though :P

Comment

I think it depends on the school and/ the groomer. Like others have said, if the groomer is passionate about her/his grooming and open to other ideas, it seems to me that it may be better.

Comparing a dentists to a groomer is like apples to oranges, as there are no set in stone rules and laws for grooming, not to mention the amount of schooling needed. Grooming schools are only based on the knowledge of the people running the schools who, themselves, may also have their own prejudices and lack of knowledge.

I tought my daughter and other groomers to groom. My daughter can groom circles around me if she desires. After learning the bascis of grooming it is up to the student to continue to learn over time. Schools are generally a limited amount of time, and working with another groomer you may not be limited on a set time frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X