Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help

I'm having a really hard time finding a grooming school where I live. I really want to learn in a studio where I could get involved hands on, but I keep hitting dead ends.
    Either they aren't teaching professionals or they don't have enough variety to teach a course. I really want to do this as a career but all the negative feedback is discouraging.
    Any advice would be useful.

Good apprenticeships can be hard to find. Same with good schools, and the fact is, some states still don't even have 1 school.

If you are set on going to school, you simply may have to travel out of state. To minimize the inconvenience some schools have the classroom hours done online and then you attend on site just for hands on portion. Some have dorms or housing recommendations nearby. It may be a struggle to do this but when you consider that you are talking just a few weeks for a career that can span decades, it can be worth the hurdle.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

That's actually a pretty good idea, never considered that. Thank you, I actually live in Ontario Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Char View Post
        I'm having a really hard time finding a grooming school where I live. I really want to learn in a studio where I could get involved hands on, but I keep hitting dead ends.
        Either they aren't teaching professionals or they don't have enough variety to teach a course. I really want to do this as a career but all the negative feedback is discouraging.
        Any advice would be useful.

Where are you located? It might help us give you better direction if we knew that.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I think the Fur Institue out of canada just became a sponsor here on PG.com. Have you looked into them?

Comment

Thank you for all the great advise, I found a school in my community that's accepting students. I love this Forum!!

Comment

I too would like some help

I too am having a hard time finding a good school in my area. I live in the Montreal area and my biggest problem is that I'm looking to take the course in english. I speak french and understand french but my first language is english and I would be more confortable in english. The second problem is that I'm not sure about how to choose the right school. I have visited three places. I'm finding it very confusing and alittle unsettling as the prices for these are all over the place which has left me thinking I really could get riped off. What should I expect, as far as number of hours and the $$. I am what I consider a beginner because my only experience is with my own animals and other family members animals. So any feedback from you would be greatly appreciated, as I'm making a career change and I really want this to work out.

Comment

Apprenticeships are hard to come by. I could not understand why, but now I get it. I guess just check around and worst case drop the money for school. Many very good groomers have become very disgruntled about apprenticeships for a multitude of reasons. I wish I could relay better news, but that is just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by meagan1993 View Post
                  I too am having a hard time finding a good school in my area. I live in the Montreal area and my biggest problem is that I'm looking to take the course in english. I speak french and understand french but my first language is english and I would be more confortable in english. The second problem is that I'm not sure about how to choose the right school. I have visited three places. I'm finding it very confusing and alittle unsettling as the prices for these are all over the place which has left me thinking I really could get riped off. What should I expect, as far as number of hours and the $$. I am what I consider a beginner because my only experience is with my own animals and other family members animals. So any feedback from you would be greatly appreciated, as I'm making a career change and I really want this to work out.
                  I think somewhere on this forum are a list of questions to ask schools. That might help you.

Comment

Yeah, I'm taking an online course (from Sk.) and I'll agree, apprenticeships are hard to find. Most of the shops in my town only hire certified people. I'm trying to teach myself through DVD's---I know I have a good mind and hands for this work, but it's frustrating doing what I think is a hack job on a dog's hair and wishing I had someone right there to correct me. Plus I asked my teacher if I could send her digital pics of what I was doing, and the answer was no, so I'm assuming video clips are out of the question. I'm doing it the hard way but I'm getting good.

Comment

Originally posted by kated View Post
                      I think somewhere on this forum are a list of questions to ask schools. That might help you.
                      Thanks Kated! I'll go take a look at that.

Comment

Originally posted by my.cats.name.is.psycho View Post
                        Yeah, I'm taking an online course (from Sk.) and I'll agree, apprenticeships are hard to find. Most of the shops in my town only hire certified people. I'm trying to teach myself through DVD's---I know I have a good mind and hands for this work, but it's frustrating doing what I think is a hack job on a dog's hair and wishing I had someone right there to correct me. Plus I asked my teacher if I could send her digital pics of what I was doing, and the answer was no, so I'm assuming video clips are out of the question. I'm doing it the hard way but I'm getting good.
                        Someone suggested I go to the SPCA or local shelter to volunteer. Maybe there is someone there who grooms and can give some pointers. Good luck with your courses

Comment

Working...
                        X