Massachusetts Licensing Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Licensing Bill

Well it looks like another attempt is being made for licensing. This time in our state.

Looks as though they are going to try and ban cage dryers all together. While I would not be against that I am opposed to the bill as a whole.

New England groomers we need to organize and oppose this bill.

The NEPGP spring seminar is May 6th get involved.

Jason
    Last edited by jaeinn; 03-17-07, 07:34 PM. Reason: typo

I heard of too many animals being fried in cage dryers, I've never used them. At my shop we hand dry each dog. I am against the licensing, I learned as an assistant many years ago, so now what I'd have to go school??

Comment

Jason,
      My parent were actually telling me tonight that they heard something about this. I am not opposed to licensing or regulations. But you say you are opposed to the bill? Where can I read more about this? I am very interested in what else it has to say. What exactly do they want us to do??

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
        I heard of too many animals being fried in cage dryers, I've never used them. At my shop we hand dry each dog. I am against the licensing, I learned as an assistant many years ago, so now what I'd have to go school??
        More than likely you'd be grandfathered in. (Or grandmothered?)

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

In my city I heard they are planning to licensing bar bouncer. Maybe you can tell your city to licensing bouncer first, but us on the end of the list.

ps. is there a bouncer school or something?

Comment

I don't cage dry, because I'm mobile, but I know that most shops do. Most shops, around here anyway, don't use heated cage dryers so dogs cannot get fried (although they still may be used incorrectly). I'm definitely going to try to follow this (MAss) is my real home. Of course, if they "outlaw" cage dryers shop groomers won't be able to do as many dogs, will have to raise their prices, which means higher mobile rates as well. If customers hear that they won't be too happy. oh well...
            don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

here is the bill

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/sena...00/st00235.htm

Jason

Comment

I want some info on the NEPGP Spring Seminar

Jason,

Can you tell me about the NEPGP Spring Seminar. What, where and when.

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

Hi Chuck,
                  I went to their Website but can't seem to find exactly when it is. I know it's in Taunton, MA and its in May, but I dont know the specifics. Does anyone else here have anymore info on this?

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
                    I don't cage dry, because I'm mobile, but I know that most shops do. Most shops, around here anyway, don't use heated cage dryers so dogs cannot get fried (although they still may be used incorrectly). I'm definitely going to try to follow this (MAss) is my real home. Of course, if they "outlaw" cage dryers shop groomers won't be able to do as many dogs, will have to raise their prices, which means higher mobile rates as well. If customers hear that they won't be too happy. oh well...
                    It appears to me that they are trying to outlaw the enclosed drying cages, NOT cage-drying. BIG difference. My interpretation is that it's the heated cages with plexi-glass doors (drying cages); the ones that can heat up to 135-degrees such as those made by Clark. I doubt it would include a cage with a high-velocity fan blowing room temperature air on the pet.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well, that would make more sense. I commented after the first post, before the article was posted. Darn, I was looking for high pay for everyone, lol!
                      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Originally posted by k9stylist1968 View Post
                        It appears to me that they are trying to outlaw the enclosed drying cages, NOT cage-drying. BIG difference. My interpretation is that it's the heated cages with plexi-glass doors (drying cages); the ones that can heat up to 135-degrees such as those made by Clark. I doubt it would include a cage with a high-velocity fan blowing room temperature air on the pet.

I could be wrong, but I think the opposite is true. I've most commonly heard the type pictured referred to as a kennel dryer, while "cage drying" is placing a dryer on the cage door. I've worked in shops where both have been used, and IMO "cage drying" poses a much greater threat, as it is a strong force of air that the pet cannot get away from. Often people put towels over the cage, which causes the cage to heat up and the pet to suffocate - there is no temperature or humidity control on these. KENNEL dryers have a constant, but not forceful airflow, and can be temperature and humidity control. Of course both of these can be very dangerous if not used properly, but the kennel dryer seems safer to me.

Comment

9) Drying cages shall never be used.

This is not saying cage dryer; this says DRYING CAGE. The enclosed cage is a drying cage.

Comment

Hope this helps Chuck, see you at intergroom!

The Spring Seminar is scheduled for May 6th, 2007 at Silver City Training Center in Taunton, MA. So far, CPR training, demos, and a potluck are scheduled, but knowing NEPGP, you know that many more things are in the works for the Spring Seminar!

As far as the cage dryer debate goes, whatever you wanna call it I think it will be not be allowed.

Jason

Comment

CPAC (Canine Political Action Corps)

CPAC is currently working with Sen. Tisei's office in Massachusetts, Sen. Kruger's office in New York, and if the Oklahoma resolution for a task force passes, they have already requested to be put on that task force. CPAC is working closely with Senator Tisei to resolve some of the problems with the current legislation being proposed in MA.

The best thing all of us can do is join CPAC to support them, both financially and vocally, in their efforts to protect all groomers. Members are kept up-to-date on legislative matters regarding groomer licensing via email newsletters.
                              Here's the link to their website: http://www.caninepac.org/

And, here's a statement recently issued by CPAC's Director on another groomers' list:

"When the time comes, we will need members/groomers help but it needs to be organized help. Emails can be deleted or just not received due to junk mail filters or what have you. Plus, politics are just that - politics. Sometimes you need to sit on your hands and wait for the right moment to be successful. If we have groomers going off at the wrong moments or unorganized, it could
                              actually hurt our cause instead of helping it. Using the current Massachusetts bill for an example, CPAC is talking to Sen. Tisei's office. Currently, the Massachusetts bill is not moving. Working with Sen. Tisei and his office quietly and in a calm manner will gain much more ground than bringing much attention to this bill publicly or within the legislative arena at this time."

Sheri
                              Last edited by Cosette; 03-19-07, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X