Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Grooming Education at Iowa Lakes Community College

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Grooming Education at Iowa Lakes Community College

    Iowa Lakes Community College – Professional Pet Grooming

    The Iowa Lakes Professional Pet Grooming Program provides students with a well-rounded, hands-on, and inspiring dog grooming education. Students will receive the top dog grooming training available in the industry with hands-on courses that focus on grooming services theory, client communication, retail performance, presentation skills, creative expression, and business fundamentals. Additionally, dog grooming students will complete a business fundamentals course. Creating a business plan is the capstone and may be used to build the foundation of your new dog grooming business.

    This course introduces four classes, two weeks each. Program is eight weeks in length.

    Dog Grooming One - dog grooming basics, equipment and animal handling. Learn to bath, set, and dry the dog coat properly.

    Study the Theory of 5. Shop safety and sanitation. Identify the different parasites in the grooming industry.

    Dog Grooming Two- clipper and scissor techniques, breed groups, patterns, and industry terminology and grooming geometrics.

    Dog Grooming Three - canine anatomy, skin & coat care and issues are also covered in this course. Student will groom various breeds in the salon as skills are mastered. Focus on sanitation, scheduling and customer service.

    Dog Grooming Four- finishing techniques to complete the professional groom. The student will learn the life cycle of the flea and be able to identify skin issues and strategies to implement a topical conditioning program. Additional time in the salon will allow students to master various breed characteristics and gain additional experience in business practices and customer service.

    SIERRA ELBERT
    CONTINUING EDUCATION COORDINATOR
    DOG GROOMING INSTRUCTOR
    IOWA LAKES COMMUNITY COLLEGE
    3200 College Drive, Emmetsburg Iowa, 50536
    712.852.5268 l [email protected]
    712.852.5266 | LAKER PAWS
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

  • #2
    I work as P/T groomer in a northern NJ boarding/daycare franchise where grooming is not the primary "product".
    We have had a few groomers come and go... they had attended grooming school - in a local shop "Nash" style. All say they received very limited instruction on how to do faces, and that they really did all the bathing and prep work, with little hands on styling. All would like more concentrated "face" instruction but don't know how to get it. It is not practical for me to provide it. They feel they spent quite a bit of $$ for this training but didn't get it. Any suggestions out there for how they can get this needed instruction? We have not been able to put them on our full grooming schedule for flying solo. Our grooming room is small, and only one person works there at a time. We could use a full time groomer who can do everything and hit the ground running.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tailspinner View Post
      I work as P/T groomer in a northern NJ boarding/daycare franchise where grooming is not the primary "product".
      We have had a few groomers come and go... they had attended grooming school - in a local shop "Nash" style. All say they received very limited instruction on how to do faces, and that they really did all the bathing and prep work, with little hands on styling. All would like more concentrated "face" instruction but don't know how to get it. It is not practical for me to provide it. They feel they spent quite a bit of $$ for this training but didn't get it. Any suggestions out there for how they can get this needed instruction? We have not been able to put them on our full grooming schedule for flying solo. Our grooming room is small, and only one person works there at a time. We could use a full time groomer who can do everything and hit the ground running.
      Sure there are face and head videos both on DVD and streaming sites. Very good ones actually. Try that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Education at this college is not bad. But they are very picky about writing papers. Especially when you close a topic. So when it comes to writing it's better to double-check everything a hundred times and even hand it in for editing. Because the work can be trivial not to accept. I've studied SFedit reviews and many do so. Just imagine that all your hard work will go to waste because of writing mistakes that you could have avoided.
        Last edited by Maxxx17; 01-16-22, 09:50 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GroomerTALK Coordinator View Post
          Iowa Lakes Community College – Professional Pet Grooming

          The Iowa Lakes Professional Pet Grooming Program provides students with a well-rounded, hands-on, and inspiring dog grooming education. Students will receive the top dog grooming training available in the industry with hands-on courses that focus on grooming services theory, client communication, retail performance, presentation skills, creative expression, and business fundamentals. Additionally, dog grooming students will complete a business fundamentals course. Creating a business plan is the capstone and may be used to build the foundation of your new dog grooming business.

          This course introduces four classes, two weeks each. Program is eight weeks in length.

          Dog Grooming One - dog grooming basics, equipment and animal handling. Learn to bath, set, and dry the dog coat properly.

          Study the Theory of 5. Shop safety and sanitation. Identify the different parasites in the grooming industry.

          Dog Grooming Two- clipper and scissor techniques, breed groups, patterns, and industry terminology and grooming geometrics.

          Dog Grooming Three - canine anatomy, skin & coat care and issues are also covered in this course. Student will groom various breeds in the salon as skills are mastered. Focus on sanitation, scheduling and customer service.

          Dog Grooming Four- finishing techniques to complete the professional groom. The student will learn the life cycle of the flea and be able to identify skin issues and strategies to implement a topical conditioning program. Additional time in the salon will allow students to master various breed characteristics and gain additional experience in business practices and customer service.

          SIERRA ELBERT
          CONTINUING EDUCATION COORDINATOR
          DOG GROOMING INSTRUCTOR
          IOWA LAKES COMMUNITY COLLEGE
          3200 College Drive, Emmetsburg Iowa, 50536
          712.852.5268 l [email protected]
          712.852.5266 | LAKER PAWS
          But no one masters anything in a 8 week course. It is an introduction.

          Comment


          • #6
            Man, this feels unethical. Setting up people to fail. They should call it "a taste of grooming" or "dip your toe into grooming."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by violet2 View Post

              But no one masters anything in a 8 week course. It is an introduction.
              Exactly, 8 weeks to master. Right.

              Comment

              Working...
              X