Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between Bather/Brusher and Pet Stylist Apprentice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between Bather/Brusher and Pet Stylist Apprentice?

Last year I went into the job thinking I was going to be a "Pet Stylist Apprentice" and learn all there is to learn about grooming. But, there's a catch. You have to work (and succeed, aka "make the numbers") as a Bather/Brusher before you get promoted to a Pet Stylist Apprentice.

Is this true?

At some places, yes, but not all places

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

of course you should learn how to bathe and brush for a while before becoming a groomer. It's a really important foundation

Comment

To me, PetStylist Apprentice is someone in grooming school. Where I work, even if you get hired with the intent of going to grooming school, you have to first start as a bather and work your way up, proving that you've mastered the basics before being allowed to progress. Being a bather/brusher is a lot more than just washing a dog. You should (ideally) be able to prep a dog for a finish groomer, do sanitaries and scissor feet on Goldens, etc.

And yes, of course you have to make the business a profit.

Comment

They're made up terms specific to your corp. If you go to a private salon, they could mean entirely different things. Since we don't get licensed in our profession, we can call ourselves whatever we want. I call myself a senior stylist. If I hire an assistant, they'll be a junior assistant stylist and the move up to senior assistant stylist when ready and then junior stylist once they're grooming. Your corp could call their bathers head bubble kids and it wouldn't mean anything different. Read your contract and employee manual or ask your manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Pariss View Post
            of course you should learn how to bathe and brush for a while before becoming a groomer. It's a really important foundation
            It's a fundamental thing in order for a groom to look good. Bathing and brushing well, are the most important things, for a groom to look good. I bathed/brushed for two years before I started grooming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X