Extra bath an add on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra bath an add on?

I just curious and considering charging more for an extra bath for those extra dirty/oily dogs. I have been grooming a lot of Cocker Spaniels lately and all need a 2nd bath with brushing to break down that oil unless they still have their puppy coat. Some dogs just need that 2nd bath. It's not only good for the dog but produces a better groom. Anyways, would this be considered an add on? I am not charging for this, but maybe i should. My charges are based on time and of course this does add more time to the groom, but I'm still getting them done with in my set time frame for the charge. So it isn't taking that much longer. I don't have a bathing system. Thanks for your input and advice!

Originally posted by allison View Post
    I just curious and considering charging more for an extra bath for those extra dirty/oily dogs. I have been grooming a lot of Cocker Spaniels lately and all need a 2nd bath with brushing to break down that oil unless they still have their puppy coat. Some dogs just need that 2nd bath. It's not only good for the dog but produces a better groom. Anyways, would this be considered an add on? I am not charging for this, but maybe i should. My charges are based on time and of course this does add more time to the groom, but I'm still getting them done with in my set time frame for the charge. So it isn't taking that much longer. I don't have a bathing system. Thanks for your input and advice!
    I think most dogs get two baths. I charge for the time it takes me to groom a dog. If a dog takes more time its more money, but two baths is pretty common unless you have a bathing system. ALso try not wetting the dog down first to degrease faster
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I always shampoo my dogs and cats twice no matter what. We upsell Nature's Specialties EZ Out shampoo and EZ Shed conditioner and various Spa shampoos. This month the Spa shampoo is Heartbreaker.

Scott

Comment

Thank you for replying. I guess I'm surprised of two baths on all dogs. Are they really that dirty? The dogs I bath only once turn out beautifully, they are also on regular schedules. I can always tell if a dog needs extra bathing by condition of skin and coat. Even the big pet grooming place in town always gives two baths. I called hehe. Hmmm Seems like extra work when it may not be needed. Lots to think about for me.

Comment

I wouldn't charge extra necessarily, but maybe think of increasing your price when quoting cockers if you feel like you aren't getting paid for your work. But I have a question of a similar type: If you 100% finish a dog, put it away, and it has an accident in the kennel and gets some on itself so you need to give it a rewash and blowdry. Do you think it would be fair to charge for it? We don't. Just wondering.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

Comment

It is going to depend on the dog.

Some dogs come in quite clean and only need one bath. Others you can smell across the room, are really scuzzy and need two scrubbings to get clean.

As I scrub the scuzz-buckets the first time with dish soap to start breaking down the grease, I typically just consider bathing as bathing, even if it takes two latherings to get the job done.

While it is not the currently popular way of doing it, I will take the really grimey dogs and blast them with warm water first as I notice a slimey bubbling film with start running off them when I do that. It also allows the first dish soap bath to penetrate the coat faster. The dish soap I'll mix with warm water - a pint to a quart for small dogs, up to a gallon for big ones - pour it through the wet coat and work it through until I can see the grease is breaking down and the filthy water is running off the dog. Rinse, then do a decent scrub with a regular shampoo, or use the recirculator.

We don't charge extra for two baths. We have to get them clean or it isn't a good groom. We have a system set up where every second taken isn't a second lost, so taking a few extra minutes just to get a dog clean is no big deal.

Comment

No I don't charge for accidents.

Comment

Do i think it's fair? No i personally don't. I suppose you could though because of the extra time. But I wouldn't and don't.

Comment

I wash most cockers three times. First with the recirc, then a hand scrub in clarifying shampoo, which I then run over again with the recirc, and one more quick hand wash which I also run over with the recirc. I would probably save time if I used Dawn, but I find that just makes them greasier the next time around.

I don't have to do this on all of them, but the ones that go two or three months, definitely.

Comment

I wash every dog twice, really dirty ones three times. I say that the first wash gets the **** off, the second one gets the dog clean.

Comment

Working...
                    X