Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spa treatments as an add on

Hello,
    I do mobile grooming and am rather successful going on three years now. I want to add on some services and was thinking about doing aromatherapy wraps and calming skin, arthritis,itchy skin, and lavendar wraps also facials and body scrubs. Does anyone do this and how do you go about letting customers know about it and which products would you use. I know you can make a body scrub I learned that on here Any suggestions would be really great. I am trying to stay a step ahead because where I groom there are a bunch of newbies that started there own biz and are undercutting and also it seems like I need to find a way to increase the dogs comfort and also increase income without raising the price of a regular groom.

For products I would highly recommend windyway's spa products. She makes them all with all natural ingredients and they smell amazing! http://www.wisconsinpetstylists.org/...aProducts.html
    My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

I'm sure I'm going to stir up the pot again, but personally I find the whole concept of "spa treatments" for pets to be highly pretentious. And I don't think the animals involved would ask for them, if one could ask their opinion.

I'd also stay away from doing anything that might be construed as a "treatment". You're a groomer, not a vet. Stay out of the grey area that could be taken as practicing medicine without a license. It's not our place to treat arthritis, skin conditions, etc, without having a vet recommend said treatments first.

And it is also my personal opinion that many of the products, even the natural ones, that are used in spa treatments are little more than snake oil. No one can offer any scientific proof that any of them actually do what they claim. All they have is anectdotal evidence, which is really NO evidence at all.

The one add on you might consider, after getting the proper training, is theraputic massage.

Comment

There is a lot of good that can be done for our clients by learning additional methods and getting additional education on supportive care for our grooming clients.
        Holistic grooming is not a selling trend or a catch phrase, it is a frame of mind, a broader outlook, and a way to do conscientious and helpful, genuine work. If one has the time and energy to devote to getting on with more teaching, then I wholeheartedly support and encourage them to do it. If anyone wants info on the ways to do these things, where to go for additional education or supportive products, they should post that here.
        We are all definitely capable of learning more if we choose to, and I support everyone who does. And I should add that I also support anyone who stays with grooming and keeps their work more dedicated to just that,,,I love my fellow dedicated and skilled groomer, as long as they work with love and compassion, then they are a friend in my book. I do not like seeing others dissuaded by people who are threatened by the forward and positive movement of progress.
        That was off topic a bit,,,,
        if you'd like to list the care practices that you are interested in learning more about, then maybe some of us can point you in the right direction!!
        Last edited by windywaycavaliers; 02-25-10, 05:02 PM.
        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I do work with a vet that I used to be a vet tech for she thinks some of the treatments could be good so I will consult with her on the proper use of treatments and so on. I do a little massage that I learned from her on all my pups while they are soaking in the shampoo the older pets do enjoy it a lot. I do want to learn more pet massage and some acupuncture (spelling).

Comment

I'm with Helly on the "spa" stuff. I think it is a bit of a rip-off.

The customers we service don't even go to a spa themselves and would probably get a belly laugh out of the idea of paying extra to have their dog's face scrubbed up with some exotic, aromatherapy concotion.

Comment

Pretentious or not, my spa "treatments" DO WORK, so I wouldn't call them "snake oil" Really, that makes the groomers that offer these services sound like shysters or con artist's out to make a easy buck off unsuspecting people. We are ALL just out to HELP our clients with their dogs skin and coat issues. It's not like we are attempting to treat diabetes, cancer, or a broken leg! Seriously, it's ok for us to decide what shampoo's would work for specific conditions or conditioners for dry skin/coat, but when we try to offer assistance in determining needs for yeasty skin or schnauzer bumps, etc, we are some how crossing a line? Just about EVERYONE on this forum has given an opinion on what to use for X condition or made recommendations for Y. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal, it's not like we're Rx'ing meds!

I have a toy poodle I have been doing for 5 years (every since I started grooming) and several months back, she started developing little scabby bumps on her back. Well, she took her to the vet, they rx'd shampoo and steriods, no improvement. Meanwhile, she comes in and I used a brown sugar scrub on her and wrapped with warm towel and continued on with the grooming as usual but no sprays, etc. I told the client what I had done and said to monitor her for changes. she came back in two weeks (saw some improvement) and I did it again. Well, another two weeks past and she came in and the bumps were GONE! The client was amazed

Comment

Snake oil or not, one of windys concoctions cleared up my flea allergy pup, he has a coat to die for now. Embarrasing for a groomer to have half bald dog! He con not give a false positive, it either works or not on a dog. Only draw back is now he's addicted to cranberries!
                ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I offer warm medicated, coat conditioning, and emu oil soaks and they work wonders. Clients comment on how the skin and dry coat improves and they say their dogs stay very clean and soft for weeks after the groom. The warm medicated soaks give a real boost to the shampoo, allowing it to have time to really penetrate the hair and skin while doing a better job at controlling the growth of "gunk" between grooms.

If these services did not work, I would not offer them.

I think of it this way - There are always clients who will pay more for extra services, if you refuse to offer add-on services, you are missing out on added income. There is no crime in making a good living while offering quality services that both help the animal and make the owner happy.

Comment

I heart you Odette!
                    Yes, these things do work; there are thought and research and results behind them, as well as a heaping handful of compassion and open-mindedness from the many groomers who work diligently to go the extra mile for their clients. ~So, I know this mindset is a minority, but it has to start somewhere...
                    And just an FYI--*giggle* all of my "snake oil" products are now currently available from ShowSeason!! They will be debuted at APF this weekend!
                    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
                      and just an fyi--*giggle* all of my "snake oil" products are now currently available from showseason!! They will be debuted at apf this weekend!
                      wooooo whoooo!! Wtg!

Comment

Way to go!! Wooo-hooo, push that 'snake oil' !
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

WTG Windy =D (or is it Dr W of Dr W's All-purpose Wonder Tonic) =P

I would like to know more about treatments for dry skin, brittle coat, and allergies. Also, I would like to learn more about hot oil treatments and sugar scrubs.

Thanks!

Comment

I see nothing wrong with holistic, natural, massage, or spa treatments for dogs. Many people have known for years that natural products and therapies can provide benefits to people and to animals, so why wouldn't some of us use them on our beloved dogs? I know I feel better after a bit of pampering or a massage, and I also know my dogs enjoy it My one dog has practically fallen into a deep sleep after a bit of canine massage, lol.

Considering the harmful chemicals in so many products for people and animals today, it only makes sense to me to use as natural ingredients as I can, and if I'm doing that for myself, I'm sure going to do the same for my dogs. I don't buy my pets anything made with ingredients from China; I make sure to buy them the healthiest food, treats, toys, etc., and to use only healthy products on them when grooming. If there are healthy products to use to help them feel and/or look better, I'll use them, especially over chemical-laden and possibly harmful products and treatments.

Comment

could go either way

I partially agree with helly that some of the stuff out there is over the top and really not at all beneficial. like charging people for teethbrushing when the reality is if you are not willing to brush your dogs teeth at home daily, once a month at the groomer isnt going to help much. what I have found, from experience, is that while much of the spa treatments do work, they only work for a short time. for long term results, again, once a month is not enough. my other issue is the term add on. I like to make money. but I also believe every dog deserves the best. I would rather offer the service to all my clients, at no extra charge, and maybe sell the products so they could continue treatments at home. just my opinion. currently, I do blueberry facials on all the dogs, ( except the few with owners that are a little nuts--- you know, every itch is because of something 'different' I did), I brush teeth if asked, no charge, and some dogs will get a deep condition and warm towel wrap. but I can also add that I am a terrible sales person. so maybe thats why I dont do add ons.

Comment

Working...
                              X