Badly matted Setter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badly matted Setter

I have several Setter clients who seek me out. This one went hiking and got wet in the stream. Full of burs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

After. Used crown royal detangler and a generic activet mat zapper. This dog shows and needed to save as much coat as possible

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Nice!!!! Great products and equipment (and your knowledge) make a huge difference!
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Beautiful job!

Comment

Great job! Is that a show dog?

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchie View Post
              Great job! Is that a show dog?
              He's working on his championship. He's a year and a half old. I'm trying to get his owners to take better care of him at home. If you decide to hike in the desert with a long coated dog, putting cooking oil in the coat prior to going out will help brush out the "stickies" and help prevent these mats. His coat attracted the burs like Velcro. I thought I was going to cut my hands up when washing him. It felt like I was scrubbing shards of glass.

This was a 2 and a half hour groom with 45 minutes of wet dematting and 15 minutes of dry dematting.

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                  He's working on his championship. He's a year and a half old. I'm trying to get his owners to take better care of him at home. If you decide to hike in the desert with a long coated dog, putting cooking oil in the coat prior to going out will help brush out the "stickies" and help prevent these mats. His coat attracted the burs like Velcro. I thought I was going to cut my hands up when washing him. It felt like I was scrubbing shards of glass.

This was a 2 and a half hour groom with 45 minutes of wet dematting and 15 minutes of dry dematting.
                  Tom, have you tried the Yuppy Puppy bath brush? It would have saved your hands while scrubbing him in the tub. I grew up in sticker bur country and hate the things...they will feel as though they are shredding your hands. I rarely get a sticker bur dog where I am now but I did have a Schnauzer last week that was loaded with them. The Yuppy Puppy bath brush saved my hands on this dog.
                  Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Yes I have been hoping to order one. I'm all for the latest tools available.

Comment

Great job

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                        ...If you decide to hike in the desert with a long coated dog, putting cooking oil in the coat prior to going out will help brush out the "stickies" and help prevent these mats...
                        That's a very interesting concept. I recently experienced an owner who put coconut oil on her Yorkie (EEK) for her skin, and her hair was all matted up all over her body. I thought I was going to have to shave her down. But I'll be darned that the mats opened right up because of the coconut oil, took less than 5-6m to brush her out. And surprisingly, the oil washed out very easily. Would cooking oil wash out easily as well? That might be more accessible for a lot of owners. Thanks.

Comment

Liquid coconut oil would be best and good for the skin but more expensive than cooking oil. Cooking oil does take a couple baths with a degreasing shampoo to wash out and not look stringy. I learned this cooking oil technique from people who hunt with their Setters to brush out debris caught in the coat much easier.

True coat oil is sold and marketed to show exhibitors which do not look greasy and have conditioners in them. Chris Christensen Pro-Line Pro-Gro is available and you can hardly tell it's in the coat and will prevent matting as long as you re-apply every few days.

Comment

That's really good to know. I understand that coconut oil (among others) is small enough to penetrate pores on a molecular level, as opposed to just sitting on the surface, which is why it has so many practical uses. But I didn't know that cooking oil could be used like this. Thanks for the 411. And I forgot to mention previously, the setter in the photos is just lovely. I used to see them often as a child in Florida, but I haven't seen one in many years.

Comment

Coconut oil is best for skin. Love it

Comment

Working...
                              X