Video: Bichon Critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: Bichon Critique

This is Ollie. I have shared pics of him before.He doesn't stand still long enough to take good photo's of him to critique so I thought I would try a video. Any and all critiques appreciated and welcome. TIA

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U9a...ew?usp=sharing
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

No points really other than I do really like the old LIz Paul visor effect over the eyes. But that is just a personal touch. She became known for that.

Comment

Originally posted by absolutebichon View Post
      No points really other than I do really like the old LIz Paul visor effect over the eyes. But that is just a personal touch. She became known for that.
      Me too. I love it. I think Liz did the groom on the bichon on the notebook in the board's logo if I remember. Right Admin?

She made a really big effect on the styling those years she was with us on B;s. You are doing really well Naturally.

Comment

Is he kind of a chunky boy? Or is that just the camera. He does move doesn't he?

Comment

I think I would take off some from his chest, tighten up his throat area, and leave more height on the back of his head to give him more neck, and elegance. Beautiful work, tho on a dog that seems a bit of a challenge. What happened to his tail?
          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I agree with Karla. He needs more hair on his head and I'dtake the underline OFF with a 7f. That will make him a bit thinner and longer in leg . Wondering the same about his tail. One more thing. You're combing is a bit fast and "roughish" so , breathe. Relax. Hold him still as best you can but don't hold his chin hair. He hates it. If you relax it will help.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

I agree about holding dogs by their chin hairs, they hate it. Control his head by holding, lightly, the flap of skin where the throat meets the neck. Dogs object less that way. That’s the way dog show people do it.

Also, I agree about the combing technique. Slow down, be gentle, be controlled. Pick a place to start fluffing and follow it through to the end instead of bouncing around. For instance, start at the tail and continue up the spine to the withers. The dog can follow your progression and not be surprised by ‘all of a sudden’ the comb is on my shoulder, now my head, now my.....

Your scissor work is lovely. He does look like he’s a bit of a chunky guy, and for that reason I would take him down shorter and tighter on neck, shoulders, throat, underline,rump.
                Love his stubby little tail!

All in all, lovely scissor work. Just slow your motions down, be gentle, and take off more coat.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
                  I agree about holding dogs by their chin hairs, they hate it. Control his head by holding, lightly, the flap of skin where the throat meets the neck. Dogs object less that way. That’s the way dog show people do it.

Also, I agree about the combing technique. Slow down, be gentle, be controlled. Pick a place to start fluffing and follow it through to the end instead of bouncing around. For instance, start at the tail and continue up the spine to the withers. The dog can follow your progression and not be surprised by ‘all of a sudden’ the comb is on my shoulder, now my head, now my.....

Your scissor work is lovely. He does look like he’s a bit of a chunky guy, and for that reason I would take him down shorter and tighter on neck, shoulders, throat, underline,rump.
                  Love his stubby little tail!

All in all, lovely scissor work. Just slow your motions down, be gentle, and take off more coat.
                  Good point about chubby dogs and learning how to make them look slimmer. I think that was called fault styling right. Love to know more and more of those insider tips.

Comment

Thank you for all the feedback!!

In regards to the docked tail, he is not a pure bichon and is a Bichapoo or Poochon, or whatever they call the mix of a poodle and bichon. LOL Hence why they docked the tail because I assume it was more poodle than bichon.

I have been working on trying to shorten his body and lengthen his legs. I have concerns about going so short that skin shows, as you can see in the rear profile the pink skin of his thighs. Is that ok? I wasn't sure? I was actually kind of beating myself up over the fact that you could see his skin and that I must have went to short.

He is a chunker though. I will try like you said Parti with the #7 on the under carriage. I use a 2 comb on the throat but will take it down into the front assembly like Dogma suggested to see if that helps. I'll let the mane and head grow out more to give it more neck as Karla suggested.

I also made note about holding the skin flap under the chin and not the chin hair and to practice my comb ups and not be so bouncy and tense. That is why i LOVE posting here to get feed back as that is not even something i would of thought of or noticed! Thank you for seeing that and making recommendation everyone! Ollie will be in for grooming tomorrow so i will start those corrections and take another video to see if you can see any difference.
                    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                    Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                        I agree with Karla. He needs more hair on his head and I'dtake the underline OFF with a 7f. That will make him a bit thinner and longer in leg . Wondering the same about his tail. One more thing. You're combing is a bit fast and "roughish" so , breathe. Relax. Hold him still as best you can but don't hold his chin hair. He hates it. If you relax it will help.

Comment

Working...
                        X