**CRITIQUES**Standard Schnauzer, Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **CRITIQUES**Standard Schnauzer, Max

So this is Max. He has a mate named Sophie that a didn't get a chance to take her pic. He was done with a #5 on the jacket and a #7 was used on front and rear angulation. Flat work was done with a bravura on #15. I realized after taking the pic his tuck up had some sticky outties that need to be addressed. The owner requests the lip shaved so he doesn't eat his fur. Any and all critiques appreciated. I need to get better so someday I may be ready to take technicals, if that day ever comes. TIA!
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Really beautiful job. It's hard to say because can't see it super close up, but I'd say you are very ready. The one thing I do notice is right above his elbow there seems to be longer hair in a strip. It's in two pictures so I don't think it's an illusion. That shouldn't be there

Comment

Thanks for the help CockerLvr! Are you talking about the area circled? I did leave hair there because I felt when you looked at him from the front he looked like his elbows were pinched and I was hoping to fill it in to get more of a straight column. Not sure if I am correct though with what I was attempting. Should I pull off and blend more with the clippers just above the elbow? I know I see a lot of schnauzers where it's bald above the elbow and then leg hair with no real transition. Any advice to fix that is appreciated.

The other pic is to show what I was talking about how it just goes from clippered to leg hair and is not really blended to look like a true column. grant you the dog in the pictures seems to have a pretty ****** coat to get that nice cylindrical leg with.
      Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about. And I think I understand what you're saying about pulling off and yes, that's what you should do. I don't know if you're doing it this way, but I usually do my legs first so I can blend with the clippers after.

Comment

No, I do not do legs first. I always do all my clipper work then scissor work. I'm definately going to have to try that! Thank you!
          Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Another long legged terrier for review. This is Sterling before and after. I notice in the picture he needs more blending but in person he looked fine I thought. Is the camera able to capture things I can't see with my naked eye? Or do I just need to develop my "groomers eye" more?
            Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Is there Airedale in the mix here?

Comment

Originally posted by petstimes2 View Post
                Is there Airedale in the mix here?
                Yes, please. I'm trying to cover all the essentials for technicals. Long and short legged terrier, drop coat, spaniel and stand out coat. I'm waiting for one of my westie clients for the short legged terrier and I someone that isn't getting a #4 or ahorter for stand out coat. I'll post for crtiques for those once they come in.
                Henry David Thoreau

Comment

and as I learn more and more hand stripping I love grooming Terriers even more.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                    Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about. And I think I understand what you're saying about pulling off and yes, that's what you should do. I don't know if you're doing it this way, but I usually do my legs first so I can blend with the clippers after.
                    Yes that is what I do too.

Comment

NF love your pix take more. You are doing great.

Comment

Very nice, I missed this one.

Comment

Working...
                        X