What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

I'm reaching out to all my groomer friends. My old dog(12 yrs) had 3 abscess teeth pulled today. Was a day like no other to boot. He made it through the anesthetic ok, and I have him home now. When I brought him home, he crapped all over my living room carpet, was quite loose, almost gel like with a bit of blood mixed in. He is sleeping now, but am not sure if he is doing as well as the vets seemed to think. I guess I'm looking to hear some points of view from you all. My son is upset, Spike is his dog. Everyone is saying I should have put him down, but I knew I had to try for Spike and my sons sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, Hucksmom.. only you can make that decision for your dog. I had my cat's teeth cleaned earlier in the year, she's 14 and had 2 molars pulled. She also has kidney failure. Needless to say, coming out of anesthesia was very difficult for her.

One thing you could do is call the vet and see if they will give him some fluids to help clear the anesthesia out of his system faster. Did they give him fluids while he was under and having his teeth cleaned? Some years back, another cat, different vet, but a dental... and she was not coming out well either. I called the vet and he met me at his office and gave me fluids to give to my cat. It still took a few hours to clear her system. Also.. did they give you pain meds for him?

I also have to tell you, from a personal point of view.. I broke my foot a year ago, had 2 dumb doctors.. and finally had surgery to fix this silly broken bone in my foot, last Dec. I was given fluids lol. I was sent home.. and it took me 5 hours to really clear the anesthesia from my system. Basically, I had a major, 5 hour panic attack. I knew what was happening.. and figured it was the anesthesia.. but boy, it was kind of hard.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

They should have warned you that he'll be 'out of it' for at least 24 hours. Self da on how long he was under snd what they used.
      The bowels can be very loose afterwards - sometimes it looks almost mucus covered. Again, one or two times is pretty normal, but it's embarrassing for the big guys. Also, antibiotic will reek havoc with his digestive system. Keep him warm and quiet for the night snd a good part of tomorrow. Don't force food but do make sure he has water. You may have to help with wetting his tongue and even his nose to kerp him comfortable.
      If he's not starting to act like himself by midday tomorrow call your vet - and be firm. Don't count him out of the game yet. But like any geriatric he'll take a bit longer to recover.
      I'll keep him - and you- in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

They gave me Metacam for pain, starting tomorrow he gets it for 5 days if he needs it. He's also on antibiotics for the abscess that is still draining and will probably continue for a few days yet. I see this everyday working at the clinic, old dogs and people not being able to let go. It hurts and sucks, but unfortunately dogs can't live forever. Just hope I'm strong enough for my son when the time comes for Spike.....

Comment

Who is eveyone that is saying to put him down? If not your vets I would ignore the ppl and do as you feel is best. I would say his reaction was pretty normal.....infection has to come out somewhere, vets released it when they extracted the teeth. Most ppl and pets have a reaction to sedation (you know this) and it is usually vomit or mucus poop.
          I do however think it is time to put measures in place for when it is time for Spike to cross Rainbow Bridge. Are you going to bury him, cremate him? Talk with your son about it....it will help him when the time does come and will help you as well to have a plan in place (as most humans do to help it not be so hard on who is left to handle everything).
          Keep us posted and be positive in your thoughts.
          *****HUGS***** and know we are here for you.
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Wait what? Put down a dog because of a little colitis after a stressful situation? No. Perfectly normal reaction. Mucous and blood in the stool mean nothing after a little stress.

Abscessed teeth aren't going to end him either.

I'm guessing those telling you to put him down are the types not to spend a dime on their dogs. Either that, or are you leaving out part of the story?

My 11 year old dog just had every tooth but one in his mouth pulled. He's been under every six months since he was a year old for cleanings, and I finally said no more. If the teeth can come out take them out. He came home five hours later, ate an entire can of food, never missed a beat. He had to go back in because he wasn't on the right antibiotics and got an abscess under his jaw, was put under to drain in and take out the sutures and again, right as rain, came home and ate like a champ. 12 is not old.

Comment

Hang in there Hucksmom!! Been thru this w/ our Malamute last year when she had an abscessed tooth. Yes, she was only 5 and not 12, but it took her about 2 weeks to get back to what I thought was her normal self. She was on pain meds & a soft diet for 2 wks. Could be the infection from the abscess in his system affecting him as well.

Comment

No, cockerlvr I'm not leaving out part of the story. It was my mom in fact, that told me I was stupid and to just put him down. She figured that I didn't need to spend my money "so foolishly " as she put it. Thing is, I work in the clinic, so I get procedures for considerably less then everyone else. Even if I didn't work at the clinic, I would've had this done for him. She just can't wrap her head around the fact that to me, my dogs are family. Our old guy is doing better today, ate a 1/2 can of food and is drinking well. I started his antibiotics this morning and gave him some Metacam for pain. He greeted me at the door tonight tail wagging. Last night (he sleeps in my sons room), he gave my son a lick before laying down and going to sleep. I know he will recover from this, he's a tough old dog. It's nice to hear from you all who understand my situation. Thank you for your input[emoji4]

Comment

Sometimes parents forget that we're adults and can make decisions but want someone to share our thoughts with. Forgive your mom and have some realistic talks with your son ( and make a vow to never make the comments your mom made as your son reaches adulthood ).
                  Our dogs are tougher than we credit them. Your guy will let you know when the time comes. I understand about getting procedures for less at your clinic. My little girls get free non anesthetic dentals every six months. Funny though - my longtime private get is still less expensive for everything else even with my discounts at work, so he's my go to guy for things.

Keep us informed please. And give your old guy a hug from all of us.

Comment

I think I would not worry about him then. Seems like he's on the track back to normal and will feel better with those teeth gone.

Definitely need to talk to your son about the inevitable at some point though. Sadly my kids have been through more than their fair share of doggie death as we had many old timers by the time they were born.

Comment

Working...
                    X