My breast cancer experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My breast cancer experience

I think I can post this article here. Five years ago I was diagnosed early stage 2 and refused surgery. I did start eating very very healthy, lots of prayer and stopped smoking. My doctor is amazed as it has not advanced and he says now he would say stage 1 perhaps. I stopped ALL sugar and WHITE carbs like white rice, went to coconut and almond flour, not white flour, things that "turn to sugar" in the body. Stop feeding the problem. Not all believed that but look what I saw today. http://www.science20.com/news_articl...astasis-162767

I use a little nustevia sometimes and a touch of real maple syrup instead. No artificial sugars either, funny how they are said to be safe and years later often are not. I have had two heavy nutrasweet friends, like 6 to 10 diet cokes a day die from cancer...was that the reason? Who knows.

Just thought I would share this research. I believe it. It's the only thing I really stopped and my doctor scratches his head.

I'm glad it worked for you. My daughter's teacher took the same approach. She is dead now.

Comment

I am happy to say I have saved some breasts. SMILE. Really though along with my mother. She had stage two breast cancer. Her doctor immediately sent her to a surgeon, and folks, I am telling you the absolute truth how it went. I have no hidden agenda.

We met with a well known surgeon, and he said her reviewed the records and did a short exam. He immediately pushed to schedule full surgery, not a lumpectomy, "next Tuesday." I asked on her behalf if there were any other remedies, alternatives, known to the American Medical Assn. Note that, I am talking PHARMA medications. HE SAID NO. I took that as fact. Mom said no, she could not at her age withstand the pain as she was already in EXTREME pain with spinal and hip issue. We go back to her doctor at her wish, and we asked to talk to another surgeon. Basically the same thing happened with surgeon number two, and by the way he said, no there are no other PHARMA meds for breast cancer. Hmm, Mom said not and asked about lumpectomy and this surgeon said it was possible most likely, it didn't appear to have spread, but no guarantees. So Mom said no again, the pain is impossible with the already extreme pain.

So she went to her meeting of the local ladies, like a Soroptimist club and one of the members said here, I got a lumpectomy that worked when others said nope and wanted full removal. Once again, as her health advocate I went along. Yes, I once again asked if PHARMA had other alternatives. He said, OMG, yes there is. What? He said it was well known to doctors and published studies were in the medical journals. He said if a patient says no to surgery he prescribes it. It is not uncommon for women 80 plus to refuse, so try this. So far there were no unsafe complications with the drug. Side effects? Yes, it cuts off estrogen production, and that means going through "the change of life" effects again.

Some women's breast cancer has a tremendous connection to hormones, and he said there were women cancer free in a year or two. Well Mom started the drug and it is called Anastrazole. I took the prescription to a major drug store chain, $350 a month. Ouch, but who cares, OK. But something told me to call Costco and ask their price. The pharmacist at Costco said, "You are going to like us." What did that mean? So I went down and got a 90 day supply for $27. THANK YOU COSTCO.

Immediately Mom was having hot flashes it seems, and those other symptoms, with a cutoff of estrogen. The doctor said the protocol was to have an exam every 90 days. After 90 days the lumps were still there, but no worse. After 180 days she said her breasts sometimes hurt, but sometimes healing is painful too. But, again, the lumps had not grown. Skip to 365 days. THE LUMPS WERE ENTIRELY GONE, the side effects a little better. The surgeon was shaking his head and said yes, the medical journals are talking about this a lot. Doctors must know it, but the AMA is saying it is best for elderly only. Why? No answer.

Just a few weeks before her regular physician had been saying, you are going to die a terrible death, have the surgery or face certain death, even though the growth had stopped by 180 days. The surgeon called her doctor at the year appointment and he was SPEECHLESS. The lumps were gone, and indeed, there was reporting on it in the medical journals he should have at least known about. Two surgeons had apparently even lied that there were no meds, but this med had been around much longer. You make of that what you will.

This was a few years ago now, and I am happy that other women friend of my mothers listened, faced the same "lies" or ??? from surgeons who did not tell them about this drug available from any pharmacist, not a hospital outside the country, but a recognized PHARMA med. After a year or more, same things they saved their breasts and have no apparent other cancer.

I did ask the kind surgeon that saved my mother if Anastrazole would work against cancer spreading from the breasts to lymph nodes etc. He said, apparently it would seem so, they were waiting for more reports in journals. OMG an honest surgeon. He called my Mom's physician who profusely apologized for his behavior and dire threats and not recommending this drug. Yes it has worked for others, it's all there in the journals and even friends.

My mom could be feisty and it worked until she got a very truthful surgeon. Will this work for all, not necessarily, as I said, if the cancer is reacting and related to certain levels of estrogen production, it may or may not. But I think every woman deserves to know about these studies to make their decision instead of having surgeons outright lie as happened to us.

By the way, my mother was having some Type 2 issues, and we did take her off white carbs, sugar etc and her blood tests were amazingly better. If you or someone faces breast cancer, get multiple opinions and ask about Anastrazole as a possibility. Every pharmacy knew about it, but thanks Costco, $9 a month, versus hundreds a month elsewhere. That was her copay on Medicare, but many other pharmacies required full charge. She has Medicare HMO. Costco people cheered my Mom on, it was really sweet and we met other Costco customers buying it with similar success, lumps gone in 1 to 2 years.

Comment

Having worked at the Ohio State Medical Center and the James Cancer Hospital for 32 years, if I ever get diagnosed with breast cancer, I would be first in line for surgery. Alternative treatments may work for some, but not the high percentage for lumpectomies or total radical mastectomies. I suppose the reason why some doctors may not enthusiastically recommend/mention this alternative treatment is because of the low percentage of good outcomes. Surgery is an "instant" removal of the disease, (if it hasn't spread) vs years of medications to do the "wait and see" outcome.

Happy going under the knife

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Yes, that is true, but that is not what happened to us. A patient has the right to ask what the alternatives are. We did, actually I did for her. Two surgeons said there were NO alternative medical solutions. That was untrue.

Also during a course of Anastrazole while being monitored, if it isn't working, you can then have surgery.

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
          Having worked at the Ohio State Medical Center and the James Cancer Hospital for 32 years, if I ever get diagnosed with breast cancer, I would be first in line for surgery. Alternative treatments may work for some, but not the high percentage for lumpectomies or total radical mastectomies. I suppose the reason why some doctors may not enthusiastically recommend/mention this alternative treatment is because of the low percentage of good outcomes. Surgery is an "instant" removal of the disease, (if it hasn't spread) vs years of medications to do the "wait and see" outcome.

Happy going under the knife

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I had a lumpectomy, radiation, chemo, and 5 years of follow up medication, for early stage breast cancer, with a family history of deadly cancer. All treatments were painless and involved little to no discomfort, not even much nausea. I got to wear some cool looking wigs. My favorite wig was the "Motown", which looked like the sort of wig that Diana Ross and the Supremes used to wear Didn't have to miss more than a day of work. Would I do it all again if I were that age and had just been diagnosed? No, but that's because some doctors are now recommending less extensive treatments for early stage breast cancer. Could the cancer come back in another area, perhaps my lungs or ovaries? Yes, it could, even with the treatments I went through. Nothing is guaranteed, but so far all is well.

Comment

My cousin went to Dr. Burzynski in Texas and is now cancer free, lots of patients are, No radiation or chemo. http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/

Comment

Amazing story! Wonderful for your mom, you're a great advocate!

Comment

Working...
                X