Opposum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposum

So my Catahoula x brought down an opposum. She is current on all shots and has no abrasions.
    Just had a bit of blood on her back. Cleaned it off her. I am kinda freaking out. She did her job . Great dog. But I am freaking. No irregular opposum behavior. Was out at night like they are supposed to be.

I would be more worried if it had been a raccoon or skunk (the top two carriers of rabies). Opossums are pretty resilient to rabies. I'm glad your dog is okay.

Comment

Chill out....my farm dogs get possums and coons all the time(a skunk sometimes), it is their job.
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

If she's upt on everything she's prob fine. I'd maybe be worried about worms though. At least she didn't roll around in the guts like my dog does whenever he catches something! Lol!

Comment

Dept of Ag will usually test for rabies for free if you still have the carcass

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
            Dept of Ag will usually test for rabies for free if you still have the carcass
            Yes they will...but if it was out at night, it was just following possum behavior. Didn't know it earlier but my hubs let our 12lb Schnz loose on a armadillo late last night (it has been tormenting hubs, both big dogs for weeks now) she put an end to that lil dillas fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretzel View Post
              If she's upt on everything she's prob fine. I'd maybe be worried about worms though. At least she didn't roll around in the guts like my dog does whenever he catches something! Lol!
              If on heart guard. ....it will kill all worms they may injest except tapes.

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
                I would be more worried if it had been a raccoon or skunk (the top two carriers of rabies). Opossums are pretty resilient to rabies. I'm glad your dog is okay.
                Never had a dog come back with even a scratch.....some of the critters blood maybe, but dogs usually grab behind the neck and shake a critter...presto, critter is DEAD!

Comment

Thanks. Lucy is our daughters dog and she sleeps with her. Brain went I to overdrive last night. I used to live out state park and in the country. So you would think I wouldn't freak out. Hell we had a cat that would bring us 6+ft snakes. There was alot of blood. I am done Flippin. And yes she has heart guard and shots. So she will be fine.

Comment

Wow seen them on the road but never had a dog bring one home.

Comment

Working...
                    X