Dog food quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog food quandary

I have been feeding George, my 5 month old Border Terrier, Aunt Jenni's raw food. It is costing me $180/month to feed this 10 pound puppy. And, he is skinny. I am feeding him for an adult weight of 25 pounds which is more than he will weigh as an adult. He is eating 3 meals a day. He does not have worms--have run several fecals at $50 each. My holistic vet thinks Aunt Jenni's is the best for him. I just saw George's breeder this weekend at an earth dog trial. She is feeding VeRus. The puppy she has from the litter is in great weight and only eats twice a day. I cook for my 11 year old Airedale. It is a recipe that the holistic vet prepared for her. The thought of spending more money on a recipe for George as well as having to cook separate meals for both of them. (Airedale eats chicken and she wants George to eat turkey) is a little much for me. So, I want to try George on a premium dry food. I am looking at Orijen. Any thoughts on this? I'm really feeling like I can't afford two dogs.
    Forgot to ask: Is grain (other than corn, wheat or gluten) a bad thing? I don't know if grain free is really better.
    Last edited by BeeJL; 11-08-15, 10:06 AM. Reason: added a question

I have a lot of respect for this vets opinion. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...s_facebookpets

Yes grain is not good for dogs. Not biologically appropriate. I feed number two on her list a cooked diet. It's really easy and even if you're feeding two separate dogs, it's still easy and IMO relatively cheap. You just add raw or cooked ground meat. http://www.k9criticalcare.com/petmix-homemade-dog-food/ If you go kibble, I don't think you can do any better than Orijen.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJL View Post
      I have been feeding George, my 5 month old Border Terrier, Aunt Jenni's raw food. It is costing me $180/month to feed this 10 pound puppy. And, he is skinny. I am feeding him for an adult weight of 25 pounds which is more than he will weigh as an adult. He is eating 3 meals a day. He does not have worms--have run several fecals at $50 each. My holistic vet thinks Aunt Jenni's is the best for him. I just saw George's breeder this weekend at an earth dog trial. She is feeding VeRus. The puppy she has from the litter is in great weight and only eats twice a day. I cook for my 11 year old Airedale. It is a recipe that the holistic vet prepared for her. The thought of spending more money on a recipe for George as well as having to cook separate meals for both of them. (Airedale eats chicken and she wants George to eat turkey) is a little much for me. So, I want to try George on a premium dry food. I am looking at Orijen. Any thoughts on this? I'm really feeling like I can't afford two dogs.
      Forgot to ask: Is grain (other than corn, wheat or gluten) a bad thing? I don't know if grain free is really better.

Puppies should be on puppy food, likely the adult food your giving him doesnt cut it. all the good foods have less filler so the dog won't get fat fat. IMO youve been taken for a run on the Aunt Jenni's. You could be find with nutro, solid gold, royal canine, etc, maybe throw an egg in there once a week. but if its not formulated for puppies youre going to have a hard time

Comment

I feed my dog Halo Spot dry dog food. It's not the ultimate in premium dog food, but it's not a discount brand either. It's a middle-of-the-road choice. My beagle mix is about 11 years old. I adopted her two years ago. She had some decaying teeth and was slightly overweight. She's doing well on the Halo brand dog food. I can't afford to pay more than I pay for Halo, so more expensive brands are not an option.
        I'm not at all a diet expert, but Halo has served me and my dog well.
        http://halopets.com/inside-halo-pets...246.1447010212

Comment

Great organic beef at an amazing price, good old Costco. $5.50 a pound here, double that in regular stores plus the store bought may be at twice the price up to 15% fat (which isn't a bad thing for active dogs). The Costco must be only 3% fat which for humans is a great thing and again an amazing value. We add back a little healthy fat for the dogs.

We save about $120 a month buying dog meat this way, worth the membership fee alone, and it is organic on top of that. Dogs love it! I have seen them sniff some scary cheap beef from the grocery and act unsure, not this beef, they are crazy for it.

Comment

Cockerlvr - good concise information about diets.
            DogGamut - I'm sort of feeling that way also.
            Emma - thanks for your input. You're helping me with the guilt factor
            Stephen - good to know about Cosco. Always feel honored when you respond to a post.

I'm not sure if I have faith in my holistic vet to come up with a home cooked diet for George. I almost feel safer going with a premium dry that is formulated for puppies. Then when he is an adult I'll revisit raw or home cooked.

Comment

Love mercola vet, watch all the videos I can and subscribed to news info. Our Boston and catahoula x eats Origen 6 fish. Neither have weight or skin or any other health issues. I feel it is a really good dry food. Cost effective wise you can get the larger bag when/if you go with them and find a recipe that works. Reseal into weekly rations using a food saver. you will haven fresh food for awhile

Comment

Just another idea as the ideas on here already are great ones. Never can have to much info though. I like Abady dog food. It was developed by a biochemist and is designed to meet optimal bio-availability. There is also some great research into what to look for in dogs food and why and about prescription diets. I have had customers that switched and said in two weeks it was like they had a brand new dog. Check it out....
                http://www.abadyfeeds.com/
                It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                Henry David Thoreau

Comment

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com
                  Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post
                    Thanks. I did and it sounds interesting. I'm also looking at Bravo freeze dried. I talked with my neighbor, who is really into agility, and whose puppy classes I attended. She says even though George is thin, he is probably healthier overall than the dogs I saw at the trial who eat lesser quality food and are not thin. I still need to find a different food though because I can't afford to pay $33 for 4-5 days worth of food.

Comment

Bee... I hear you on the price of dog food. Right now I'm feeding Rachel Ray's 6 Ingredient from the grocery store. My dogs are shiny, in good weight, and have lots of energy.
                      You might just give it a try.

dogma

Comment

I now alot of foods out there can be costly. I have spent $40+ on a 15# bag of food before. IMO though you get what you pay for and short term they dog may be fine but long term is when you will start to see the effects of a less than adequate diet. This is where the expense comes in when you have costly vet bills. A dog's digestive tract is very short and they process their food much quicker than humans so they have to have a diet that the nutrients are easily broken down and absorbed and made available. This is one of the key reasons in the past couple decades we are seeing our pets get the same ailments and diseases as humans because for the most part we are all eating the same **** GMO, processed garbage with no bio-nutrient availability. Trying to avoid this food though that makes up 80-90% of everything we eat and touch from the Milk you pour on your cereal to the gas you put in your car. The best we can do I suppose is moderation and try to reduce as much as possible our consumption of such products and hope for the best.
                        Sorry, getting off topic, rant over.
                        Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJL View Post
                          Thanks. I did and it sounds interesting. I'm also looking at Bravo freeze dried. I talked with my neighbor, who is really into agility, and whose puppy classes I attended. She says even though George is thin, he is probably healthier overall than the dogs I saw at the trial who eat lesser quality food and are not thin. I still need to find a different food though because I can't afford to pay $33 for 4-5 days worth of food.
                          If you are just looking to put a little more weight on him, what if you just supplement with some high quality canned food. Canned is usually higher in fat and calories. Add a couple tablespoons to his kibble everyday. Evangers makes some great canned food. Also, what protein levels are you feeding? Maybe you should consider feeding something higher in protein, especially if he's very active. My Jack Russell is still very active at 9 years old and only eats food that is 30% or higher in protien and I have never had any weight problems. Here's some foods that are high protein, Orijen and Acana are some which I think you already looked at,
                          https://www.solidgoldpet.com/product...ng-at-the-moon
                          http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com...asted-venison/
                          http://www.evangersdogfood.com/
                          Henry David Thoreau

Comment

My neighbor sent me to a new (not really open yet) place that sells high quality dog food. It's owned by a holistic vet. I went and knocked on the door and told the vet I wanted something cheaper than Aunt Jeni's for my puppy and that I was thinking about freeze dried. She said freeze dried is for when you travel and can't feed raw. I ended up buying the cheapest frozen raw which is called Steve's. She told me to replace one meal a day with chicken necks (that I can get locally) to make it more affordable. (Oh boy, I sure hope those chicken necks that have heads attached don't have eyes in them. That is too gross for me.) She also said Aunt Jeni's is by far the most expensive raw food one can buy. So, maybe I can afford to feed George after all.

Comment

Amen N.F.! Amen

Comment

Working...
                              X