removing paint myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing paint myself

Does anyone know how to remove paint from a van? I want to put my own name up, and I know there has to be a way to do it myself, like buffing it out or something. Then my brother in law does air brushing so he will paint my name. I'm up for putting some elbow grease into my van. Has anyone else done this? Thanks!

If it's paint, that's tricky. You have to sand it off. Get a fine grit sand paper and just start rubbing. But doing that you have to reprime and repaint the area's that you rubbed. It's a pain in the butt.

Stickers are a lot easier.
    Becky

Comment

Are you sure it's paint?

Are you sure that it's paint? Lots of times the lettering on vehicles is done with those vinyl stick on letters. IF that is what it is, all you have to do is use a blow dryer to heat them up and then they just peel right off! Same for any vinyl lettering on sandwich board signs and windows! If it is paint, I don't know how to remove that. Good Luck!

Comment

If it is paint, you are better off going somewhere like Mayco. They are relatively cheap and yes, it is a MAJOR pain in the butt to remove paint if you don't have the right equipment. If you sand the lettering off and then prime and paint over it, it may not match the origional paint and look stupid. The sun and time fades paint. It may look like an exact match when you first paint it on, but when it dries it may not match. Something that you won't notice till you are in natural sun light. Plus, unless you have a really clean enviornment you risk getting dust and bugs and **** in wet paint.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Working...
        X