I'm a Proud Mama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a Proud Mama

My son, (he's 6) just got his last report card when school ended last week, and results from the Star Reading test. He was in the top 10% in the Nation. Yep, that's Nation, not state, for reading for his age! He just finished 1st grade and they said he had a reading level of a child that would just be completing 3rd grade. Woohoo! That's my boy! I just thought I'd share my happiness.
    Laura

OH congrats.. That is so exciting.. Your's is excelling while mine is in speach therapy.. ha ha.. Course my boy is only 4.
    Becky

Comment

Wow, that is great!

Reading is the window to the world. It is great he likes to mread.

Comment

You have every right to be very proud of him. Sounds like he will have a bright future!!!!

Comment

That is awesome! I was a good little reader in 1st grade too---my teacher had me help all the other kids that struggled.

Too bad I'm not as good at math! Congrats, Mama!

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

That's great! Do you sit and read with him or does he just love to read on his own.
            You should be a proud Mom, and it sure doesn't hurt to brag about our kids once in awhile.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
              That's great! Do you sit and read with him or does he just love to read on his own.
              You should be a proud Mom, and it sure doesn't hurt to brag about our kids once in awhile.

He likes to read on his own, and he also likes it when we read together. Sometimes if it's a really long chapter book, we'll take turns. If we go to the library he wants to bring home every book there. Also i started a couple of years ago doing something that he really loves. I call it Creative Stories. I will start a story and then i'll pass it to him to write the next sentence. Then i'll take it and write the next, and so on. If there are other people over sometimes we'll pass it to them and tell them to add a sentence. The stories really turn out funny this way, and my son just loves it.

Comment

Congrads! I remember in the 3rd grade I had an 8th grade reading level. I loved to read, I only had a couple friends so I spent most of my time reading, in fact I got yelled at quite often because I'd sit with a book in my lap ignoring the teacher.

Comment

Woohoo! congrats! You should be beaming, I'm sure you are. Tell him to read the Count of Monte Cristo...it may not be for a couple years, but it's such a great book!
                  Erin
                  No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Originally posted by goldiphlox View Post
                    He likes to read on his own, and he also likes it when we read together. Sometimes if it's a really long chapter book, we'll take turns. If we go to the library he wants to bring home every book there. Also i started a couple of years ago doing something that he really loves. I call it Creative Stories. I will start a story and then i'll pass it to him to write the next sentence. Then i'll take it and write the next, and so on. If there are other people over sometimes we'll pass it to them and tell them to add a sentence. The stories really turn out funny this way, and my son just loves it.
                    I was a bad mom, I never read to my kids. I just didn't have the patience to do that, they always interupted the story. I'm doing a lot better with the grandkids, I read to them, if I have my glasses LOL.

That's a great idea, the both of you writing stories together. Makes it a lot more fun. I may have to try something like that with the grandkids.

I wasn't a good reader in school. My love for books happened more after I graduated from school. I love to read now. He has a great start I must say.
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

Working...
                    X