What's the best dog and cat food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best dog and cat food?

I know there is no one answer for this and everyone has different opinions but I'd like to hear them.

Right now my dog is eating Purina Pro Plan which I don't think is that great so I'd like to change it. I've heard good things about Canidae and Orijen so I'm considering one of those.

My cat eats Friskies which I know is horrible and I've been thinking of switching him to Innova Evo because I've heard alot of good comments on that food.

i personally like the nutro natural choice. i have my cat and dogs on it. i really was impressed with the senior. made a night and day difference in my older shepherd dog.

Comment

After you get everyone's opinions, do some research of your own to decide. It's nice to get what everyone says, but that may no be what is good for your dogs. A great place to start is the Whole Dog Journal. They have a list of top name foods that are really NOT good for pets, and then a list of stuff that is made with reliable protein sources, in reliable places etc.

I feed Prairie Nature's Variety. I like it cause you can switch protein sources but not worry about the grains and all that which is supposedely what dogs have trouble changing regularly. My cats are on this as well, and seem to do very well on it. My one itchy dog doesn't itch anymore on this food, it works really well for us.

Also, not sure how true this is, but I just heard that you're not supposed to keep a dog on one brand of food their whole life like was believed before. Anyone else hear this? You should switch like every yr or 2 something like that, so that if the brand he's on is missing something, then this one will fill in, or I suppose a supplement would take care of that too.
      Erin
      No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

We use Lifes Abundance It has helped our 12 year old chow-terrier mix, we noticed a difference in his coat and energy level, overall desposition. It is made weekly in small batches and shipped fresh so you know where your food has been. I don't understand why people are still trusting companies whose food has been recalled and now named in a class action law suit. To view the related complaint and supporting research material visit: http://mflegal.com/petfoodlawsuit
        Originally posted by pretty_green_quaker View Post
        I know there is no one answer for this and everyone has different opinions but I'd like to hear them.

Right now my dog is eating Purina Pro Plan which I don't think is that great so I'd like to change it. I've heard good things about Canidae and Orijen so I'm considering one of those.

My cat eats Friskies which I know is horrible and I've been thinking of switching him to Innova Evo because I've heard alot of good comments on that food.

Comment

well, i was trying to switch my dog to a no grain food. i bought a big bag of barkin at the moon......tried to introduce it slowly.......she would have nothing to do with it....i know they say you can't let your dog decide what she is going to eat, but, was i to let her starve just so i could claim victory? she wouldn't eat. period! then she was picking out the old food and spitting out the solid gold, all over the floor. then she made every attempt to get the cats food. the cat eats innova evo now, and loves it. tiki would not eat the dog innova evo. i went to the health food store and explained my situation to them. they gave me samples of all the different varieties of dog food that they had. i brought them home and put multiple samples in different bowls mixed with the food she was eating. the only food she would eat was California Natural. she even picked it out and ate it and spit her reg food on the floor. i guess not everyone's dog is as picky as mine, but for Tiki, only California Natural would do!lol from Natura, the same co that makes the innova evo.

Comment

Mine are on healthwise active adult but switching to california natural herring/sweet potato. Both brands are made by Natura which makes Innova and Evo as well.

Both have nice shiny coats, Brenna is still working on getting her poop solid, but it seems to be improving thank goodness!

Another good brand that mine were on is Merrick, but its kind of pricey. They seemed to like it though, and it had dehydrated veggies so if you let it soak in warm water for a few minutes it made kind of a stew.

Comment

I always make sure the dog food I feed, that the company makes and packs there own food. I feed form four star. and Innova evo. canidae is really good food and that company makes and packs the food. I also belive in staying away form, corn,wheat, by probucts.

Originally posted by pretty_green_quaker View Post

Comment

Thanks everyone. You've given me more brands to consider and I'll make sure to research and try them all. Keep it coming, I need all the help I can get on this!

Comment

I have my puppies on nutro max ultra puppy..they love it and are doing well on it..I would like to switch them to timberwolf organics and carry that in my salon to sell. nobody around here carries it and the closest is an hour away...anyone use that food before? I've heard it's really really good, and gee, surely its not higher than 3.00 a pound? or is it?

Comment

Right now I feed my doggies Blue Buffalo, I like it because it is easy to get a hold of since they sell it at Petsmart. I want to switch them over to Merrick though, since this whole petfood recall thing has me a little worried.
                    When I was looking for which food to go with, I looked for things that didn't contain weat, soy, byproducts, meal. Look for things the say 'whole carrots' not just ground up things.

Comment

Originally posted by brownlikewoah View Post
                      Right now I feed my doggies Blue Buffalo, I like it because it is easy to get a hold of since they sell it at Petsmart. I want to switch them over to Merrick though, since this whole petfood recall thing has me a little worried.
                      When I was looking for which food to go with, I looked for things that didn't contain weat, soy, byproducts, meal. Look for things the say 'whole carrots' not just ground up things.
                      I tried Blue Buffalo with my dog but it gave her very bad gas. I think they are a good brand but my dog"s stomach just didn't agree lol. She didn't seem to mind but I sure did!

Comment

I've had my dogs on Flint River Ranch, Nutro Max, Blue Buffalo, and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul....

I like Flint River the best.. My dogs seemed to love that...
                        Becky

Comment

my cats are on nutro they love it,shiny coats less waste to clean and my dogs are on avoderm they love it

Comment

I feed my dogs CANIDAE. I have fed them Blue Buffalo in the past (my poodle had loose stool while eating the brand), so I switched them to Canidae. No more loose stool problems (I didn't even gradually change over-just started feeding them the Canidae after running out of BB). My dogs like the taste better as well. Also, when the pet food recall happened, Canidae literally didn't "have a dog in that fight". The food is made in the U.S. and all ingredients are U.S. supplied.

Comment

Working...
                            X