Leather couch and dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather couch and dogs

We've only had our sectional sofa for 10 months. We already are replacing it because of the damage that has been done to it by one of our large dogs who jumps on it to get into our bay window when we are not home. Tan microfiber was not the solution. Now we're going to try leather. I was wondering if soft claws on the one dog would be a solution to prevent tares or marks I was also wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to teach a dog not to get up on the couch and into the window. She doesn't do it when we're there, but when we come home, she's always in the window along with our toy poodle.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Sorry about your sectional...why not just put "stuff" on it before you leave (like a couple of broken down boxes)? Or maybe lift the cushions before you leave? Or have an old comforter draped over it before you go out.

Comment

My dogs are kenneled (not the travel kennels but the metal cage type where they can see all around them) when I am not home. They sleep in their kennels at night and are quite comfortable there. I don't understand why more people don't kennel their dogs. For the most part, dogs sleep while we are gone anyway. Kenneling the dogs certainly keeps my house cleaner as well (I don't worry about accidents).

Comment

Simple solution. Buy some carpet runners, the clear type that you use to protect carpets in entryways, halls, etc. The ones with the little pokey things on the back side. Place them, pokey side up, on the sofa when you leave. If you think the dog will pull them off and jump up anyway, lay one down in front of the sofa, too.

This also works to teach dogs to stay out of rooms where they aren't allowed, to stay out of the trash, or to stay out of flower beds.
        Last edited by Helly; 05-27-07, 07:19 PM.

Comment

move the sofa away from the window. tears in leather are harder to repair and the soft claws do come off. or place a heavy cover over it while you are gone. stuff on the sofa never deterred my dogs from knocking it off while jumping on the sofa. they are looking out the window waiting for you to return.
          Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
          "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Omg,remindes me of the night before my guy got neutered.My dad had to go right by the vets office to and from work every day and it was a 45 mile round trip for me so I asked if he minded dropping him off and picking him up for me.Well he agreed and when I came to pick him up my mother started yelling "Do you know what that dog did last night"? Iam thinking he did a bit of marking her house,nope she says "look at my new leather couch"!" It's got pecker tracks all over the back of it"!I just thought I would just die on the spot!She said he tried to make love to every and any thing! Let me tell you he never ever did that at home;guess he knew what was up lol.Helly has a good idea,or just get the couch away from the window,btw hers was by the window too.

Comment

I have heard putting balloons on a couch keeps em off

Then you will always be ready for a party too. Really that or scat mat give sa lil shock to tootsies.Hellys idea sound good

Comment

I have no idea, but I like Helly's idea. Sounds like it could really work.
                My trouble makers are crated if we leave the house.
                "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                Diane

Comment

I think Helly's idea might just work, along with taking the cushions off might just do the trick. Crating is not an option at this point. The dog that caused the distruction is an 8 year old aussie who's never been crated (she belonged to a family friend of ours until the woman became very ill and passed away).
                  don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    Simple solution. Buy some carpet runners, the clear type that you use to protect carpets in entryways, halls, etc. The ones with the little pokey things on the back side. Place them, pokey side up, on the sofa when you leave. If you think the dog will pull them off and jump up anyway, lay one down in front of the sofa, too.

This also works to teach dogs to stay out of rooms where they aren't allowed, to stay out of the trash, or to stay out of flower beds.
                    Helly, thanks for that solution. I could sure use it too. We are getting new furniture in a couple of weeks and we are worried about it. We also need a solution to keep our dogs out of the rooms where the cats go.

Comment

my dogs are crated when we leave the house to avoid the accidents and them chewing on things.i like helly's idea maybe i will try it later when they get loder,my dogs are allowed in our couch,and i also have leather ones we just purchased them around 3 months ago and they still look like new what i did to prevent them from marking them with their nails is this; i bought a doggie blanket from costco it was around 14 dollars or so they come in very nice colors so i found one that matches my couch and when i'm home i put it on the couch and they are allowed to get on it and i don't worry about them scratching it,and i also moved my furniture around so that my couch is not next to the window because my chihuahua likes sleeping on top of the part where you lean on the couch where your head rests so the old ones looked like dog beds on top that's why we bought new ones.oh and the blanket is very thick and it stays in place very well i hope this helps too.

Comment

I think the idea of putting a comforter or the plastic runners on the couch is a good idea, and also taking the cushions out. I would'nt put anything heavy on the sofa (like chairs), I would be afraid that your dog might try to jump up on the couch and possibly bring down a chair on top of him.

I kennel my dogs when I leave the house, however, they have ruined the wood on my bed. So, I have decided, while dogs are in the house - no more new furniture. It's just alltogether easier - new furniture doesn't mean that much to me and my dogs jumping into our bed with us does!

Comment

Helly, I tried your idea with my cat a while back to keep him out of carpeted areas because he was peeing everywhere. It worked for a day then the dumb cat decided he liked the pokiness and started walking across it and rolling around on it lol. I think it would work for my dog though.

Comment

Helly,
                            I just ordered a roll of the stuff for deep pile. Hope it works since our furniture comes on the 12th of this month. I also want to keep the dogs out of the bathroom were the cat litter box is. We are taking care of my step daughter's little dog while she is in Tailand for a year teaching English and he keeps peeing on the litter box and he and another get into it.

Comment

Well I got the roll. Haven't used it on the new couches yet, but use it in the hall way to keep my step-daughter's chic. from lefting his leg on the cat litter box in the bathroom. The young westy we have now just jumps over it to chase the cats. I think I will have to put two roll down, but than we can't get thru either, unless we pick one up.

The cats just walk right over the top, as I think they have hair on their feet which protects them.

Comment

Working...
                              X