tip for hairdresser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tip for hairdresser?

Okay I know that this is way off topic, but the post about tipping got me thinking.
    If you all don't mind me asking...how much should I tip a hairdresser? I have always tipped what I thought was a good amount (15-20%). Some I have talked to leave only a few dollars, some leave as much or more than me.

I really love my hairdresser, and don't mind leaving a good tip, but I'm curious if anyone knows what is expected? (for example, generally 15-20% is expected in a restaurant)

I probably should add that when I get my hair done it's usually a 100-150 dollar bill because I get highlights.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

I don't have my hair done very often, maybe a few times a year! I like to tip 20%, more/less depending on the service. For instance, I just had my hair cut at a little chain shop. The girl was 19 years old and did a GREAT job and shampooed. (My hair was to my shoulder blades and had her chop it very short and angled in the back and chin length toward the front. It is very modern and layered...lovin' it.) The cost was $12, I gave her an $8 tip. She was thrilled and so was I. I try hard to please my clients, and in return get pretty darn good tips. I like to spread the karma, especially when someone goes above and beyond.

Comment

I get mine does every 5 weeks because as short as it is, it's a horrible mess after 5 weeks. It's only $16 for me and I leave $3, so I guess it's between 15 and 20%.

Comment

I tip my hairdresser about 30%, but I don't have my hair done very often, maybe every 3-4 months only.

Comment

I get different colors in my hair. Black, blond, and red. I do it whenever I can afford it. The girl I went to in Utah charged me around $80 and I would leave a $20 tip, or whatever cash I had left over. I think I left her $40 one time.. I've always been a very generous tipper. I used to be a waitress so I know how it feels to work for tips... Even though hair dressers don't work for tips, it's still greatly appreciated.... I got my nails done a couple months ago, just one time until my regular nails grew in because I kept ripping them off my finger. It was $40 and I left a $20 tip.
          Becky

Comment

I get my hair done every six weeks. Roots touched up, trim, shampoo and blow dry, $98. I usually leave about $25-$40 because my stylist is amazing.

Comment

I always leave 20% tip. And yes, they do work for their tips, just like waiters/servers. With doing that, I not only get a great job done on my hair, but my stylist will squeeze me in when I can't get a last minute appt. I greatly appreciate her flexability, but I don't abuse this either.

Comment

Thanks guys. I worked out the percentage that I usually leave, and realized that I have been leaving about 20%. It's usually about $130, and I leave between $25 and $30. Sometimes a little more. I absolutely love my hairstylist, and she actually even fit me in this week at the last minute, so I will leave her a little extra. Anyway, long story short, I'm glad that I was leaving the appropriate amount.
                The reason that I asked was because my friends never leave what I thought was enough, and I wanted to make sure I was right. (I always hate going out to dinner with these friends too, because I always end up throwing a few bucks in to cover everyone elses ****** tips...I'm sure that some of you can identify!)
                Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

For sure, I can identify! My stylist is awesome and gets big tips from me too (also a high priced salon).

My philosophy on eating out has always been "If you can't afford to leave 20%, then you can't afford to eat out!" I guess it's the waitress in me...

Comment

Now I kinda of feel bad for my profession, if you know what I mean... I think groomers get the lowest tip among service jobs.

Comment

Oh, I hate short tippers... Aaron's mom never tips her hair dresser, never tips her groomer and tips $3 when she goes out to eat.. It drive me insane... She's a very nice lady, but she's so picky about everything and I can just see her telling her hairdresser how to cut each and every single strand of hair. She didn't know that you could tip a hairdresser until Aaron's ex-wife told her she could. She still doesn't. Then she didn't know you could tip a groomer till I said something about it.. She said, she still wouldn't leave a tip.. So I told her, glad I'm not your groomer.
                      Becky

Comment

What really stinks is when the hairdresser gets a great tip from the groomer when the groomer gets her hair done, but when the hairdresser gets her pet groomed she just gives the groomer a smile.

Comment

I tip 20%, a good stylist deserves it. Especially with my hair- I have a really stubborn cowlick in the front that's a challenge to work with! My stylist IS a miracle worker, and she's really nice.

Comment

If someone always tips me 20%, you bet I will be super, super nice to them too.

Comment

I'm a great tipper, I never tip a hairstylist under five dollars. Even if it cost $3. My son's hair cuts cost $10 but when I watch him (the barber) and see all the work involved I give him $20. If I'm desperate and go to this other place that does a quick job on him I give him $5.

When I get my hair done which is not often, because I don't trust hardly anyone, I tip good. It usually costs me around a hundred and I give a $30 tip. Usually highlights though, that took him 3 hours.

Even at a restaurant. If I'm alone and it's breakfast usually $3, but dinner is never under $5. I even tip for to go orders $2.

I hate tipping though. I wish they could figure out a way to eliminate it. All these establishments usually make enough money that they can pay their staff a decent wage and not have to worry if we'll tip decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X