Policy on grooming pregnant dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policy on grooming pregnant dogs?

Today I turned away a pregnant Westie who is due to have puppies in two weeks. My main concern was her anxiety/stress levels seemed through the roof as soon as she walked through the door! The owner was rather upset, although I explained it was in the best interest of her dog her puppies to not get groomed. I was afraid of the dog going into early labor, or even something happening to her puppies since she was bouncing literally.. off the walls.

Does your shop have a policy on grooming pregnant dogs? Any advice? Thank you!

I'm unaware of any policy we have however I would have done the same thing - no way would I want to be responsible for a stressed out pregnant dog and so close to her due date.

Comment

Our policy is to groom until two weeks of due date as long as the dog is used to grooming. Any pregnant dog showing stress at any point of pregnancy will be sent home though.

Comment

I will groom them as long as the owner stays with them. Usually they like to get the belly shaved and cleaned up around the hind end.
        As long as the dog isn't stressed and the owner is there I will definitely help to get her cleaned up before delivery.

Comment

I would not want to groom a stressed out pregnant dog. However, I groomed both of my dogs just a few days before they delivered their litters (but neither one was the least bit stressed out). I wanted them cleaned up (since they wouldn't be bathed for several weeks) and needed to shave the nipple areas.

Comment

I enjoy grooming pregnant bitches,and taking special care and attention to their needs. I don't think I would want one over 57 days or so. I like to feel the puppies kicking too. and getting the milk bar and whelping area all clipped off and ready for the big day. The exception would be a bitch who is anxious to the level you describe,and strange to me. You did the right thing.
            "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
            Quote:Cath

Comment

I don't mind it if it's a regular client, and not past 57 days or so. The exception might be just a belly/hind end shave and no bath closer to the due date (owner staying). I wouldn't have done that westie either. Hope the puppies aren't as hyper as the mom.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Within 2 weeks of delivery is my cutoff. I will get them cleaned up right before pups though. But I will not do a bath, just a shave to expose nipples and around the vulva. I also make sure the owners are present for it.
                Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

I agree, about 2 weeks.

Originally posted by doggydivas View Post
                  Within 2 weeks of delivery is my cutoff. I will get them cleaned up right before pups though. But I will not do a bath, just a shave to expose nipples and around the vulva. I also make sure the owners are present for it.

Comment

Thanks for all the great input! The general consensus seems to be groom up to the 2 week mark. I think I made the right choice. Thanks again!

Comment

Question

So, is stress the main issue? I got a call today asking if I groom pregnant dogs. She is due at the end of January. I said no, since I have not been trained in it. Is it okay to bathe them with a natural shampoo, or should they not be shampooed at all? What else is there to know about it?

Comment

Our poilcy is to not groom a pregnant dog at all. I will do a quick sani and belly shave for cleanup before birth, but that's it. I'm not going to take any chances of being responsible for loss of pups.
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I have no problem doing pregnant dogs as long as they are not stressing. I have actually had dogs whelp in the shop. THAT made me mad cause she had lied about how close she was. I gave her an ultimatum. Either pay me $200 to whelp puppies or come get her NOW. She came on. If you are not comfortable doing it then don't. I however bathe and groom my bitches usually at 60 days or so and have never had an issue. I have even groomed them immediately after whelping with no ill effects. It is safe to bathe them as long as you dont use a flea shampoo and rinse well. I don't always shave my own dogs bellies, but will on a client dog. To me it is no big deal but I know how to handle them. If you don't want to then don't do it.
                          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you!

It sounds like I did the right thing.

Comment

I forgot to say that that any time limit on the number of days or weeks before whelping could be real diffcult to judge by when grooming a pet who got pregnant,as many pet owners do not know exactly when or how,the bitch got pregnant! or even the correct gestation of the pups. My daughter and I groomed a little shih for a nice old fellow who thought his shih bitch was a boy! Maybe due to an umbilical hernia? She was a Bernadine,and bulging with kicking pups! He was very suprised when I told him.Her name was Bernardo
                              "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                              Quote:Cath

Comment

Working...
                              X