HELP!! MY Sister's Cat Is REALLYSick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! MY Sister's Cat Is REALLYSick

Oay my sister has a sweet young spayed female Cat named Keiko. About a Week ago we noticed she was getting a cold. Figured it was change in environment and weather. And mom told her to let it run its course. The cat is now very ill. She's got goopy stuff coming out of her eyes and nose. She sneezes very weakly. We ARE calling the Vet's Tomorrow. I just need to know if there is Anything we can do to help her. She has a really weak cough and is breathing slow. Mom's putting Vick's inhaler under her nose to try to help clear her nose abit until tomotrrow. Anything else. Also, The cat has long hair and is getting the stuff in her coat and is too weak to Bathe, I've told my mom take her to either the groomer's or a vet's to be shaved after this. Am I right to think like that? I don't like leaving her this way but I don't want to stress her out. and I won't do her myself.

The way you are describing it the cat may not have untill tomarrow to see a vet. My recomendation would be to see one NOW. If you are still going to wait(IMO not a good idea) you can put her in the bathroom with hot water running to humidify the air. Also make SURE vicks is not toxic for cats. Good luck. At least try and talk to a vet by phone if nothing else.

Comment

I had a cat several years ago with an upper respritory infection with similar symptoms. Try to get the cat to a vet today, if at all possible. Even on antibiotics she still had tons of goop coming out her eyes and nose for days. I put her in a room with a humidifier for moisture, but the goop still crusted over her eyes and nose very quickly. I ended up taking a warm,moist (not wet) wash cloth to her eyes and nostrils every couple hours to soften the crud, so I could wipe it off and she could breath better. You may able to get the crud off her coat with just a damp wash cloth, later when she is feeling better. Hope everything turns out alright.

Comment

STOP THE VICKS! And pray that it's not too late! Cats are extremely sensitive to essential or volital oils, and they are indeed toxic to cats. And get the cat to a vet ASAP. She needs medical attention yesterday. It sounds like she may have pneumonia. She may not survive another 24 hours.

Comment

I would not wait either.

When your pet can't breathe properly, it's a red flag.

Also, cats, like birds, are superior at hiding it when they are ill. It would not surprise me if she's been sick much longer than you think.
          As for the vicks rub, the first thing that will happen is the cat will lick it off.
          And I don't think it's supposed to be swallowed.

Do you have other cats? Most respitory infections are contagious.
          JMO
          Erica

Comment

Mom took the cat to the vet's and it is an Upper respirtory Infection. She is on eye droppers and pills for it. they are working. Her eyes are clearing up. and she seems alittle more active. She is okay now just really dirty.

Comment

I was really worried so I really glad it turned out ok. Glad she is feeling better.

Comment

Good news

I also was worried, seemed so serious. Give the dirty kitty a sweet kiss and thank it for holding on. Hope it's "in the pink" real soon.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Oh, I am sooo glad!

I didn't get a reply right away. I thought maybe she did't make it.

Comment

Wow, scary, I had to scroll down to see if she made it. I wouldn't use Vicks for a cat, they are not humans, and it wouldn't work the same. Plus, their sense of smell is so sensitive, I can imagine the Vicks might even hurt, owie!

Glad she's still with you!

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

vicks on a cat? you're lucky you didn't kill her!! why do people take such risks ? a simple phone call to a vet for info would have been worth it! brother! the things people do!! I'll never understand

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                        vicks on a cat? you're lucky you didn't kill her!! why do people take such risks ? a simple phone call to a vet for info would have been worth it! brother! the things people do!! I'll never understand
                        I was wondering the same thing Hair, but try not to be to hard on them. They were trying to help not hurt. That would have been something my grandmother would have done too, figuring if it is safe on children it would be safe on the animal.....BTW my pediatrician does NOT like vicks used on children.

I am glad the kitty is doing okay and keeps on improving. Tell your Momma to call the vet before trying any home remedies, especially on a cat. They are soooo sensitive to things we would assume to be perfectly safe. Keep us UTD on her progress.
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                          I was wondering the same thing Hair, but try not to be to hard on them. They were trying to help not hurt. That would have been something my grandmother would have done too, figuring if it is safe on children it would be safe on the animal.....BTW my pediatrician does NOT like vicks used on children.

I am glad the kitty is doing okay and keeps on improving. Tell your Momma to call the vet before trying any home remedies, especially on a cat. They are soooo sensitive to things we would assume to be perfectly safe. Keep us UTD on her progress.
                          Just thought I would turn the light "on" lol glad the kitty is better

Comment

Just a Small UYpdate:

She's Perked up now lol
                            She's back to attacking MY Feet. For some reason sheonly attacks mine! Doesn't matter if I were socks, no socks or shoes! She pounces on them and it Hurts!
                            So that's a Good Sign lol

Comment

Oh ya,I probably won't be on for abit. I am going out with my BEST FRIENDS (Sisters) for my birthday and then going to London on the weeknd so I'm busy getting ready this week........SOoOOOOO Excited!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X