I have a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question...

OK, this isn't the first time this has happened. I will try to be brief as possible.

I work at a vet clinic with boarding. I groom Saturdays. There is a full-time Monday-Friday groomer. On Saturday I bathed a cocker due to go home Monday. I am always leery when the dog spends 2 days in the kennel after receiving the exit bath. They sometimes poop in the kennel, step in it, lay in it, are around other stinkies not receiving baths etc...and oh by the way the 8 inches of snow we had the prior week had just melted and the potty area was pretty much a mud bath.

I got a call Monday that the dog I bathed had not been done. Which I assure you, I am a freak about clean dogs and we all know cockers are a chore. I put on de-greaser, sniffed, still major stinky. 3 latherings of grimenator and 2 additional latherings face and ears only of pro-clean for the coconut scent and he was squeaky clean. Trimmed ears, feet, did nails, bandana, good to go.

The owner said I put in a false charge for the dog when I apparently did not groom him. I am furious. The full-time groomer agreed with the owner that the bath didn't happen as the dog was filthy. Hello...did you not see the mud bath outside or check out the nasty ear infection the dog has???????

My question is, how should I handle this? I hate to take the loss of income as I busted my butt to make him sparkling clean. I also don't think the groomer rebathing the dog should take a loss of income. What are the opinions out there??????

awful

that is a really hard situation. But they should at least know that you went overboard on the bath. Perhaps you could both call it a loss, and split the bath money? Does the owner of the facility understand the situation. Could they call it a loss and pay both? Can they set a special groomed potty area on gravel or outdoor carpet for situations like that. Why wouldn't the Monday groomer have bathed the dog anyway.

I'm grooming a poodle today and it's raining. I offered to change to another day, since they have a horse etc in the yard. They stil want me today. I have a show dog Brittany to groom and bath this afternoon for a show tomorrow. They are going to have to put a coat on and walk him on a leash this evening and in the morning. I will, though, bath my own show Brittany at o'dark thirty in the AM. He loves rain and mud.

I'll see if I can add a picture of a recent mud play fun time my young Brittany had.
    Attached Files
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I would just simply state that you did bathe the dog. You bathed him on Saturday and he went home on Monday. He had 2 days sitting in a cage and running around outside in the yard that is muddy. He wasn't going to stay clean that way. If they were really concerned about a clean dog, he should have been bathed monday morning before he went home.

I don't really know a way to say that with still being nice and not sounding like a complete b*tch.

Good luck
      Becky

Comment

Wisconsin, I make it a point to groom/bath my boarding dogs going home on the same day because of what your situation is. I can't tell you anything except for stop grooming/bathing dogs that are going home on Monday, on Saturday. Once we groom/bath the dogs that are going home that same day, I don't even put them back in my boarding areas. They go where my grooming customer dogs go and that's in my bathing room.

I'm sorry that you are having a time with this. Hopefully somehow you can get your point across to your employer that you did a fine job and that waiting 2 days wasn't a good judgement call.

Comment

Mind you, I found out about the bathing issue via voice mail. I will see the owner for the first time tomorrow as I'm only there Saturday. She knows the drill, including my concerns that 2 days in kennel after exit bath is too long.

The other groomer I'm sure agrees but I believe the reason I was to bathe the dog Saturday was because she was extremely booked. They wanted a vet tech to do the bath but in my opinion, they don't get the dogs clean enough which is why I volunteered to do the bath! lol...no good deed goes unpunished.

I just wanted some feedback so I could proactively offer a solution tomorrow when I see the owner.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Whether or not its considered a loss I would ask them to not schedule dogs that aren't going home until Monday anymore. If they don't pay you make a point that you don't want to be grooming dogs you won't get paid for, so please don't schedule them like that.

Comment

AGree with you there on the two days plus mud equals dirty dog. With the bouvs I can groom them and have them squeaky clean and two hours later they have completely turned into mud puppies. I always tell the crew....I am going to put them in a bubble like that movie (Boy in the Bubble) lol. Then maybe they will stay clean.

Since you cleaned the dog on Sat. maybe if this happens again, have someone do a quick bath on Monday before the dog leaves. Granted you have already done all the tough bathing, so a quick overall should be abit easier. Over booking is a huge problem sometimes

Trish

Comment

Originally posted by Wisconsin View Post
                Mind you, I found out about the bathing issue via voice mail. I will see the owner for the first time tomorrow as I'm only there Saturday. She knows the drill, including my concerns that 2 days in kennel after exit bath is too long.

The other groomer I'm sure agrees but I believe the reason I was to bathe the dog Saturday was because she was extremely booked. They wanted a vet tech to do the bath but in my opinion, they don't get the dogs clean enough which is why I volunteered to do the bath! lol...no good deed goes unpunished.

I just wanted some feedback so I could proactively offer a solution tomorrow when I see the owner.

Thanks for your help.
                Okay, this is simple. You did your job. The owner of the business obviously didn't have a problem with a dog done days before it went home. It's not your fault the dog got dirty. You should be paid for the job you did. You are not liable to make sure that dog stays clean after you leave on Saturday.

A kennel person may not like you(I hope this doesn't happen) and get your newly groomed dogs dirty if there is a 2 day span. That's the downfall of it all.

Comment

your hospital should have a policy stating if your dog gets a bath after boarding, no pickups until 12:00 noon. That way they all have time for bathes and are clean to go home. It will avoid that problem you just had. Thats the policy at the animal hospital that I used to work at, and it was never a problem for the owners. Hope this helps! good luck

Comment

We have the same problem where I work. How we handle it is to tag the dog's run with a big note, printed in red, on the dog's kennel "JUST BATHED. WALK ON LEASH!" If the dog makes a mess in his run and plays in it, one of the techs will give it a quick rinse in the tub. And make note of it on the dog's run sheet.

It's not perfect, but at least we try. But I know what you mean. It's frustrating.

Comment

Ugh, I hate it when people tell me that they are going to be there first thing Monday morning, so groom it on Saturday. It always figures that the dog is going to be a finger painter! So, did the people there not even wash the dog again? They just handed the owner a dirty dog? If that is the case than I would say that I think that you really don't have a responsibility in it. I mean, really, it wasn't your fault. The people that worked the Monday kennels, or the Monday bathers should have been responsible for it. By the way, does your kennel not have a policy for refresher baths. For example, if a dog soils to the point that it needs a bath, even if it's a second bath, we have them sign something in check in that they will pay for it. After all, it's not our fault that the dog is a messy one.
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate all of your feedback. We'll see how this plays out tomorrow.

Comment

This seems really obvious to me...your employer requested that you bathe the dog on Saturday which you did. The dog owner requested that they get to pick up a clean dog on Monday which they didn't. You did your job so you should be paid appropriately. The dog owner didn't get the clean dog they requested so they shouldn't pay for the bath. Too bad for your boss for making a poor choice so he/she looses money. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                          X