GSD Puppies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSD Puppies

My dad's German Shepherd had puppies Tuesday night. She had 3 by the time I got there and was up to 8 by the time I left. A couple had to have the sacs ripped off because the mom kept going back and cleaning the other puppies. Two of them I had to tie the umbi cord off because they wouldn't stop bleeding. Then 1 I had to rub because mom wasn't cleaning him. She kept licking herself and the other pups. He's one that we had to rip the sac off of. I hate rubbing puppies, it feels like I'm killing it. Got him breathing and crying, so it went well. He's a strong pup too, instantly latched onto my finger and started sucking harder than the other pups. So I put him against one of mom's nipples and he instantly latched on. The other pups kept whining and moving around. Can you guess which pup is gonna be the bully... LOL

All in all there are 12 puppies. 10 males and 2 females. They are the cutests. They also come from DDR lines. (east German)

They are about half and half black and tan and sable. One pup is almost completely black. You can just barely see some dark tan (red) markings on his paws. In a couple weeks when the coats lighten up and start to change color we'll see what colors they really are...

They are so cute... The only reason my dad's dog had puppies is because I've been in control of the entire situation from day one. The owner of the stud is getting first pick of a male and female. She's been breeding for 25 years.

kanaskennels.com

Dagger is the stud. Maya is the dam. There is a page for Maya. If the site doesn't let anyone (who ever is interested) then at the top in the address bar change the page # to 5. It's not the best picture. Dagger is a certified medical alert dog, he's a champion show dog, he has certified in CGC, he's OFA excellent. He's a certified attack dog (for the police) and a certified working dog. Or something like that.
    Becky

Wow! So cool! Enjoy the puppies now! I know I could never breed dogs, because I wouldn't be able to give them up, lol!
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Raggs, I want a GSD puppy sooo bad!!!!

My family is all in agreement. We've had Keeshonds for years which of course I still love very much. My brother always had Sheps and they were exceptional dogs. For whatever reason I can't seem to decide if I want a male or female. Can you shed some light on pros/cons to one gender or the other in the GSD breed if you think it even matters?

For example in the Kees breed with the rescue work I've done over the years, I have noticed the males to be more affectionate and the females a little less affectionate and more independent. The females still love their share of attention but will walk away after a minute of two of attention. Seems like they get overstimulated or something. Have you ever noticed a difference in gender in the GSD breed?

In working with Border Collies I noticed the females can be more bossy or "bitchy" and tend to latch on to their favorite human.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Comment

NIce site....love that Izma female... It has been some time since I had a GSD,
        I originally had GSDs then went to Bouvs...

Keep us all posted on them puppies. Right now you have time to rest a bit...then in a couple weeks the hard work for you begins.

Trish

Comment

On basic levels I haven't seen that big of a difference in gender in GSD's. Males can be a little more aggressive, that's why they are more commonly chosen for police dogs. The males also work better as service dogs.

It also depends on which line a GSD is from. DDR or East German dogs are a lot more calmer (normally), better bred and more intelligent. The Czech GSD's are a lot more active and can tend to be a little snippy. I know a few breeders that will never own a Czech GSD, but I know one breeder/trainer that will never have anything other than a Czech.

The Americans are filled with problems. One of the reasons Germany came down on the AKC and won a court battle that American line Shepherds are no longer allowed to be called German Shepherd dogs. They are simply only to be called Shepherd dogs.

I always prefer males because every breed and mix breed I've owned, the males have seemed to be more affectionate towards me. But then my dad will only ever own females because they are more affectionate towards him.

I think it's the opposite sex thing going on there.
          Becky

Comment

I appreciate your feedback Becky. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
              On basic levels I haven't seen that big of a difference in gender in GSD's. Males can be a little more aggressive, that's why they are more commonly chosen for police dogs. The males also work better as service dogs.
              I've talked with a lot of police officers, both civilian and military, who say the reason they use males is partly the size difference, but mostly because the femals become reluctant to "send out". They want to stay in closer proximity to their handler, and the older they get, the closer they want to be. It's kinda hard to send a dog in to search a building if she won't leave your side.

Comment

Here's an interesting article on police dogs:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/police-dog.htm

I forget which page it was on, but I think it said they use unneutered males to retain the natural aggression, but Helly you make a good point, Brenna is already reluctant to leave my side, it'll be interesting to see how she turns out.

I do like that she comes to me when called unlike a certain unnamed beagle. lol

Comment

raggs, I used to own a Czech female . She was a fantastic dog. I picked her out of a litter of twelve and she went on to place 1st, and 2 2nds in her first shows. She, sad to say, had her tail broken in protection training. ( was thrown off a sleeve!) but she was never never snippy! in that large of a litter, you will have to split the group up to feed you know. too large of a group and you will end up with a couple of environmental runts! post pics soon as you can! I love the imports! would never have an american bred. imo so much more sound!

Comment

I use to groom a czech bread police dog. He was great. It was so nice to work with a Well behaved Large dog. All I had to do to get him up on a table or in a kennel was to point. He was a sucker for dog cookies to. The only time he groweled at me was the time I had to shave out a cockelburr from around his male parts. Gave him a cookie and it was all better :-). Turned out to be the trick to get his ears clean too. Cookie in one hand and cotton ball in the ear with the other.

Comment

Pictures?

Will we be seeing pictures soon? Please oh please.

Comment

I will post pictures up as soon as I can get some good ones...

Thanks for the inputs about the Czech Shepherds. I've only ever gotten snippy ones. But the trainer I know says his are never snippy, but he works with them constantly so they don't become that way. He actually trains dogs for military and police...
                        Becky

Comment

You know I have found my taste in breeds is that I love imports too. I love English bred Labs, I love German Rotti's, And I don't like American varieties of either of those breeds. My husband longs for a GSD so bad, but I have never met one that wasn't a whiner, snippy, or I just felt uneasy with. They are a nice looking dog though. If I ever found one than was nice and calm with no personality issues I would snatch em up in a heartbeat. I want an English bred lab soooo bad, I love their big heads and short bodies, I think they look like puppies even as adults. And I like the look of the German rotti's too because their muzzle is shorter and their head size is huge. Much more appealing to the eye I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Poodlefluff View Post
                            You know I have found my taste in breeds is that I love imports too. I love English bred Labs, I love German Rotti's, And I don't like American varieties of either of those breeds. My husband longs for a GSD so bad, but I have never met one that wasn't a whiner, snippy, or I just felt uneasy with. They are a nice looking dog though. If I ever found one than was nice and calm with no personality issues I would snatch em up in a heartbeat. I want an English bred lab soooo bad, I love their big heads and short bodies, I think they look like puppies even as adults. And I like the look of the German rotti's too because their muzzle is shorter and their head size is huge. Much more appealing to the eye I think.
                            My dad grew up with GSD's and his whole family raves about them being the best dogs ever. I have always thought that he's crazy because all of the ones that I see with the exception of a very very few are nutcases. Whiny, almost neurotic, and most are way too big. Now that I have read these posts about American bred and German bred shepherds I realize the difference, lol. He had very well bred German Shepherds, I guess that the ones that I am seeing at work are American varieties you all have spoken of?
                            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

German Shepherds are gorgeous dogs, but for the life of me I don't understand how people can live with them in their houses. The heavy shedding would drive me nuts!!! I have more clean-up from grooming a GSD than I do after I've clipped a standard poodle.

Comment

Working...
                              X