I May Have Lost A Client Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I May Have Lost A Client Today

I have been grooming Clifford since the youngest child wass a 6mo baby, who is now nearly 2yrs old. They live a few miles south. This owner is a busy young mom who is impossible to get on the phone to schedule. C. was last groomed in Dec cuz I recall XMas decorations. She never has him done often. Oddly, he wasn't matted, just long. I was also supposed to trim G. Retrievers' nails for an extra $20. When I arrived, the cleaning lady points to a door for me to knock on.. A different woman looks annoyed cuz I disturbed her kiddie class. Had no clue I was coming and bewildered. Did she leave a check? No. Older kid calls mom. No one said when or if she was coming home soon. The kid gives me the dog and I rev 7F Clifford. Mom comes home when he is wet from tub. I told her extra for poop butt that dulls my clipper blades and now that it is 07, my rates are higher. I don't get to do retrievers nails...she is too busy! Says her teacher or whoever she was, said I was rude and upset cux she wasn't there w/ check. Well, She was rude! I merely asked if she had left one. Hellooooo. So this rushed mom was kinda putting me on the spot. Said it wasn't her responsibility to help me or get dog for me or pay me! Noooo it is the owners'. How was I spose ta know if she was coming back? I was not rude or upset. I was going to stop back after next dog, or go over later for check. I resent that other woman putting in a bad word about me. The dog who would have been the last of the days' owner did not call to confirm she wanted me today when I am nearby. She has a nanny that is always there. I would not go without her ok cuz it is a long trip and she would not have a check for me. Also, it is presumptuous to gomwith out an ok even if a long time client.Lately, I can't get busy moms to call me or me reach them. Auuuugh! BTW Owner had no clue the Retriever nail cancel is money I don't get. What can you do when it is suppose tro be two dogs and ends up one? I scheduled for two. Well, nails for 2nd anyway. I just charged her extra and said it was for dull blade. $10 extra. No tip given. He looked cute w/ shaved ears and fluffly head. Like Shi-tzus we all do.Then the kid says,"Mommy, Clifford looks different in a complaining tone" Yeah no stinky poopy but! No long stinky fur!~ Can't win fur loosin.

I have to whine...

I had one of these days yesterday, felt like nothing was going right. I don't have many bad grooming days, but when they're bad, they're really bad. I am pretty sure I also lost a good client yesterday, a regular and good tipper. I nicked this good client's poor little Yorkie's ear. I hadn't done that in soooo long, I thought I was being careful. She is freakish with her ears and nails. When I was tipping her ears she was still, then went freaky at just the wrong time. It didn't nick bad and hardly bled, but still it bled and was a nick and I completely believe in telling the owner even when it's minor. I tried telling her it was similar to a papercut, but to no avail. She was horrified, and said how she trusted me and looked at me with such disappointment. I also gave the - she zigged, I zagged bit. But still she was shockingly horrified. She picked up her little doggy, put the check down - no tip this time, and ran. I felt so bad, as if I didn't feel bad enough as it was. Anyways, we win some we lose some. I still feel like crud though - I hate when this happens! Hopefully that situation will turn out better next time too mustluv.

Comment

Too bad and soooo sad I say and don't worry your self to death over this one.The teacher/sitter lady probably had a bad day and so did the dogs owner and you were the 1st person around for them both to hash out on.If she is a single mom , she Will surley miss you,and soon forget the "bad"day she had later down the road.I'am a single mom and I have my days,in fact I have often thought about making an apt.w/another groomer to get my dog done! lol As a thought if you really want to keep this customer give her a day or two and call her after dinner time and mention that that you felt that it seemed to be a bad day for all involved.Give her a way out and I am sure you can be the damage control here.You don't need to grovel,just be understanding to her and the other lady who felt broad sided by your arrival.I know it's not your fault,you did your best and thats all any one of us can do.What a pooky day, and good luck!

Comment

Don't worry. You'll probably replace her with someone who is a much better client. I always believe things happen for a reason. A customer should have the dog ready for you when you arrive. I used to have a mb cust. that was such a pain. I'd get to her house she'd say come on in dogs in the other room go get him.......well guess what dog would never come to me...a few times chasing him thru this massive house was enough.....I politely explained to her that I have a schedule to keep. I cannot chase your dog all around house when I get here. It wastes time that I do not have..blah blah blah...from then on she always had him ready...some people are just oblivious

Comment

Originally posted by milhasavilla View Post
          I had one of these days yesterday, felt like nothing was going right. I don't have many bad grooming days, but when they're bad, they're really bad. I am pretty sure I also lost a good client yesterday, a regular and good tipper. I nicked this good client's poor little Yorkie's ear. I hadn't done that in soooo long, I thought I was being careful. She is freakish with her ears and nails. When I was tipping her ears she was still, then went freaky at just the wrong time. It didn't nick bad and hardly bled, but still it bled and was a nick and I completely believe in telling the owner even when it's minor. I tried telling her it was similar to a papercut, but to no avail. She was horrified, and said how she trusted me and looked at me with such disappointment. I also gave the - she zigged, I zagged bit. But still she was shockingly horrified. She picked up her little doggy, put the check down - no tip this time, and ran. I felt so bad, as if I didn't feel bad enough as it was. Anyways, we win some we lose some. I still feel like crud though - I hate when this happens! Hopefully that situation will turn out better next time too mustluv.
          I wonder if she takes her child to the ER when he gets a minor cut. Some people are so RUDE.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

The client isn't a single mom.

No, this woman lives in a fairly large house and has a husband. She has some 5-6 yr old school type classes. The older girl is not retarded -it isn't that kind of class. I guess just home schooled with several neighbor kids at her house. I expected the owner to be there as she said she would help me lift the retriever into van for nail trim. She is always rushed. I don't need to ask how she wants the dog done because I know she has him shaved til he gets disgusting and has him shaved again. Originally she wanted him groomed regularly, but never got to it. Whatever, she doesn't seem to respect MY time as tho her time is more valuable. I will find some one else I like better. Dog is ok to groom, and doesn't take long. If school time is a problem,there is always Saturday.I won't know how she feels til four, five months from now. I just wish moms would return calls after they call me for an appt. I wait til after bedtime for kids...still can't reach some.

Comment

Sorry you had such a bad day. You'll be a lot better off without this woman as client. Someone MUCH better will come and take her place and be a regular, every 4 wks.
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

Ok ,my bust on the single mom thing,guess I miss read and I stand on the "Too bad and so sad"! You and the rest of us work to hard to put up w/people who will take advantage of us ;if we let them.Sounds like she has taken advantage of you in the past and so she thinks she has a free will to do so.I am sorry to say if this is the case,and it seems to be you have allowed this to happen and now you have had enough! I have been guilty,been there and done it ,TYVM Have you really lost much? ;I think not. We all have to find our boundries and stick to them or we will get run over every time.

Comment

ey, don't blow a gasket or anything! lol more clients where she came from!! She doens't sound like she has her poop together anyway lol
                  I had 2 different groomers to try and take 2 of my clients. One was a mobile, the other was at a vets office, where I USED to refer my clients too. I guess I sent her so many clients she decided to jump on the groom wagon and now has her tech grooming...oh well..I won't be referring her anymore, so her loss! The client that had the mobiler go out, came back to me and scheduled an appt. The one at the vets was kinda stolen. she boarded the dog, they called saying they couldn't bathe him, he needed grooming first. So being she was out of town, she told them to go ahead! she wasn't happy with the clip as I do a special groom on this cocker.When she picked the dog up, they automatically gave her the next appt written on a card. It was to be on Tues coming up. I booked her in on Monday! lol I almost called the vets office myself to tell them to cancel Joey's appt, as I will be grooming him on Monday and he won't be needing it again on Tuesday!! LOL but, alas, I didn't! no fun being nice! hehehe

Comment

Wow, some people seem so nice, and then that. I had a woman that seemed like the nicest lady in the world, and then I accidentally nicked her dog...and not so nice, lol. That's okay, the nicer customers are more than the not so nice, thankfully!
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
                      Wow, some people seem so nice, and then that. I had a woman that seemed like the nicest lady in the world, and then I accidentally nicked her dog...and not so nice, lol. That's okay, the nicer customers are more than the not so nice, thankfully!
                      You're so right! I think what is so suprising is that they've always been so nice, generous and polite - then we're showed in an instant the other side of them. Geez, I felt the room get cold when this client's personality changed...brrrr...And thankfully the nice ones are more common than the other. Thanks to you & Spikey for the support. Love you guys.

Comment

Concerned

when I groom dogs Housecall I am very very careful. I know that most of my customers are the caringest and fussiest around. As I clip near the loin, or ears think I am possibly one nick away from losing this customer. I hope some might be understanding, but not so sure. a few of my customers had the experience of having the dog nicked and not told about it in a shop. I always give them the spiel about sharp instruments and wiggly moving dogs, fairly easy to nick. I do say that if the groomer knew of a cut they certainly should seem sorry and inform the owner.

Sorry that you had that crummy experience. Good to know that she is not reasonable and you really are better off without that customer.
                        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

You're so right! I think what is so suprising is that they've always been so nice, generous and polite - then we're showed in an instant the other side of them. Geez, I felt the room get cold when this client's personality changed...brrrr...And thankfully the nice ones are more common than the other. Thanks to you & Spikey for the support. Love you guys.
                          I too have had the Jekyl / Hyde personality change and it is puzzling isn't it?? I had a German Shepherd that a brushed over a skin tag and it broke open. I work at a vet clinic too so as a precaution, I had the vet look at it quick. He said it isn't even worth mentioning to the client which I did anyway as I would want someone to point something like that out to me.

I had been grooming the dog since it was a puppy and I loved the dog and owners were pleasant. Well, I go and mention my little mistake and she went ballistic! She paid quickly, wouldn't talk to me, and got out of the door as quickly as possible. Haven't seen her since. I sure do miss that dog. He was such a good boy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X