Jury Duty! Oh NOOOOO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Duty! Oh NOOOOO!

They got me again!!!!. I do Not drive to Phoenix except to Ryans if I absolutely have to. I go surface streets and it take 45 min in good traffic. The court house is someplace way off-I know not where. I just casn't go. I don't do buses or know how to part and take one even. I also could not afford to be a juror. That said. I have to get a reply to court brfore 4/11/07. That leaaves Monday. I have to pay and beg the doctors' receptionist to write a note saying mental hardship...could csause illness or injury. He did it before. It was supposed to be a perm condition. My doc actually charges $25.00 for a poorly, misspelled ,poor grammar unprofessional note. This is such a time-consuming mess. Before I left Ca. I had jury duty. Ha,ha I sent a note...I live in Az. now. Now they get me here, twice! Why can't they get the rich, non working women that spend their days shopping? How can I put mobile groomer for professsion and say I can't drive to PHX? It is true tho. I do not do most freeways and am afraid to drive to Tucson. Two freeways get me where I need to go, and they are not to PHX.Any Ideas? Get me out of this!!!!!! I do realize someone had to jury for OJ and Scott Peterson.But not poor lil PT working me.

I realize it is our "civic responsibility" to be a juror, but the courts should really get their act together as far as picking people from a local pool, and paying them more than $20/day. Responsibility or not, some people cannot afford to take those days off work and it would cause undue hardship. We DO need jurors so I wish they courts would make it easier for us to be responsible.

I don't know of any ways to get out of going, other than being totally obnoxious once you get to the courthouse. Good luck!

Comment

That's the good thing about having a 95% hearing loss. lol I know they have interperters and tranmitters but I don't use either. They tried to get me to do jury duty back in October but nothing works for me and I'm done with sign language because nobody knows how to sign so I forget. I already took 3 classes in college and out of college. If you don't use it you lose it.

Comment

I had jury duty last year, and I enjoyed it. I only ended up having to actually show up 3 1/2 days out of the whole month, and only sat on one jury trial, so I didn't miss much work.

I know it can be a pain, and a hardship. But I also know if I were the one on trial, I'd want people on the jury that are just like me.

Comment

oooh. Bummer. I dread getting jury duty. I'm a small business,1 person show. It would suck to lose alot of money if it dragged on. You've got my sympathy!

Comment

My husband seems to get called frequently for jury duty. As soon as he serves his time and the 3 yrs is up, he gets called again like clock work. His experience is if he gets a note written for whatever reason, they just call him up again almost immediately (after excusing the one with the note). So that method only seems to buy you a little time. He went in 4 different times last year and never was required to stay for various reasons. But he got his time in, so he won't be called again for a couple more years. The best thing to do is just get it over with. It's your best bet at not being called again for awhile. Once you're up to be called and you don't serve, they'll just keep calling you until you do serve. So sorry mustluv!

Comment

I got a sent a letter for jury duty a while back.. I had been living in Scotland for over 4 years at the time!
              No way in hell am I flying 6000 miles to do Jury duty! LOL.. Had my Mom phone & let them know I wasent even a US resident any more.. Hows that for ways to get outa jury duty eh? Youd think they woulda been a lil more up to date on stuff like that though...?

Comment

I feel your pain. I was suppose to have Jury Duty on April 28th, but I delayed it until May 24th. I cannot be part of a jury....I'd be screwed! I couldn't reschedule all those people. Hopefully when I call the night before I'll get the message that says no need to report.
                don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

if you are an owner of a one person shop, mobile etc. you do not have to serve jury duty. there is a box to check on their form and a place on the back to clarify. i get called every other year for some sort of jury duty.
                  Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                  "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I really don't understand how our system picks people. I mean I have never been called. My sister on the other hand has been called like 3 times.

I heard that if you are called, make sure that you tell them you are for the death penalty, racist and you need to let them know you are on heavy medication! LOL If that doesn't get you off the hook, I don't know what will.

Secretly though, I wish I would get called.... I think I would be very good, plus I want to be the one that reads the verdict from the jury. LOL

Comment

This past November was a really close call for me as I reported as called,and btw in my state they changed it from jury duty to jury service! lol like that was supposed to change anything.Well I arrive only to find that it was a special session expected to last for aprox.3 weeks! Now I did the math and gee if chosen I would have had all but 3 days to get all my dogs done,shop,hold the mortgage co.off my back,ect.....single mom here w/a dead beat dad to be the star on top of my Charlie Brown tree at that point! I was the last of 5 people to be questioned out of at least 150 people and to think this was for an alternet jury,only needed 4 alternets it was 5pm when they chose the last person.If I had been made to serve I would have justa bout gone down w/the boat! The rules have recently changed regarding jury excuses and they have really made it tough to get out of.I did recieve a whopping check for 12 dollars,I tried really hard not to spend it in one place!

Comment

Oh, mustlove, I do feel your pain. I don't drive on the highways either-panic disorder. I was called for jury duty some years ago-at Christmastime no less. You bet I checked that box. Also had no way to get from one end of the Puget Sound to the other by 8:00AM-not early enough bus service.

My mother got a notice for jury duty a few years ago. She would have loved to do it (had done it before), only problem was, she had been dead for 4 years!! Don't know why her name was still on the list????????
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I absolutely can NOT drive to Phx. I would have a major panic attack and die or end up in LA or somethig. I can't even go once un less someone drives me and stays with me to tell judge I can't hear ( I can actually) I do not want to lie. I honestly just can't do it. My Fridays' clients husbamnd was hit for it for May 15th I am actually May 11, not April 11th. If it were the same day, i could ride in with him. I did serve as a juiror in SF for two weeks. Cafeteria had good mac&cheese. Lots of young lawyers around. It was a boring stupid case and the judge was even dosing off!!! The guy had 10 counts to go thru. Not a young guy, and old guywho hit someone with a baseball bat. If it is true I don't HAVE to go even once because I am sole owner of my little mobile, that would be great. I think my doctor note is my only option. If it were court in my town I would go. I would be in debt fast tho. No dogs no money.Maybe I couild change my first name to my mothers, as she passed away three yrs ago @ age 92! Or I could become a felon. Lucky break...they don't get called!!!!Just the good guys, like me. Meantime, I still can't get browser accepted to enter chat room! Geeeeesh.

Comment

Well, I don't know about where some of y'all live, but being an owner of a one person shop doesn't always get you out of jury duty. Being a doctor doesn't get you out of it, either. Even if you're the only doctor in the office, and being on a jury means you have to close your office for the day and send your employees home.

And all those "I'm pro death penalty, I'm racist, and heavily medicated" statements probably won't work, either. Instead, they could get you cited for contempt of court! When I was serving, there was one man on the panal who was obviously answering the questions in such a way as to be excused. The judge got a little tired of it, took him into chambers, and when they came out, his answers all changed. Judges don't like people who waste the courts time.

Of course, the attorney for the defendent excused him anyway.

Comment

some of the forms are real clear on what is acceptable excuse and what is not. if you are considered vital to something, whether you are a dr, care giver or one person business, you will be exempt. it is true that it doesn't automatically excuse you of you are one of the above. if you have employess who could cover you, you would not be exempt. as i am it, they won't shut down a business. there is a line for you to explain why you should be exempt. sometimes you have to search for it. the last time i was called, it took several readings to find it. as ct pays a whopping $6, i make sure i find it.
                              Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                              "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Working...
                              X