Help picking a pediatrician.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help picking a pediatrician.

We picked our current pediatrician because he was the dr. the hospital had on staff the night our baby was born and we liked him. The staff RAVED about how sweet he was, what a good dr. he was, etc etc. Well, since then things have been bothering me. 1) he told me to give her aspirin (which you're not supposed to give babies unless absolutely necessary) for a mild temp that was easily controlled with tylenol, and he told me not to feed her for 3 days cause she was sick, just clear fluids, even though she was keeping everything down. 2) he didn't have a record of her first shots when I went in for her 2nd round so he "just wrote them in" at the time of her 2nd round. and 3) they use a mercury thermometer still, at the dr's office (I grew up with these, so not a huge deal, but just a red flag for me that an office is using it when it's pretty much frowned upon).

I loved that he is old fashioned, less is more type of attitude, and that he has a small practice in an old house, not this uber-sterile environment, but I'm just not comfortable there anymore. What would you guys do if it was your kids?

I'm asking you because I went back to the pregnancy message board I was on, and those people were just annoying me! I just don't think they're anything like me. A whole slew of them got rid of their pets when they got pregnant, or complain about them like they're more burdens than family members. I respect your opinions much more.
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

I'd probably want a dr. for me, my pets OR my children (which I don't have) that I do feel very comfortable with. A Dr, vet, accountant, hair stylist, whatever needs to be a good match for you. You're the one paying them for their service or advice. If there are quirks that you don't care about and they bother you enough, I'd say look elsewhere till you DO find that good match. Personality matters about as much as what they give you in their service. I'm not that trusting of people to begin with. If I don't feel comfortable working for that person or paying that person for their time, I don't want to continue with them.
    Do what you feel is most important for you and your family.

Comment

It's time to look for a new doctor. If you don't feel 100% comfortable with your child's pediatrician you need to find a new one. Do it ASAP. You don't want to wait until the baby is sick. The practice I used had office hours on saturday and sunday for sick visits. I always thought that was a plus. Ask your friends who they use. That would be a good start. Follow your gut feeling. Mom knows best!
      www.gomobileandsucceed.com
      http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I don't know about CT, but in my home state there is a website run by state government where the public can look up disciplinary records of Dr.'s and such. If you have that resource available, you may want to look in to it.

Comment

That's what everyone's been saying, to follow my instincts. My hubby is saying that a good reputation is hard to get, and that's all we've heard about him, good things.

I called the pediatric group my friends have all reccommended me to, but they're not taking any new customers. Lucky thing is I clip the nails of a woman who is good friends with the head of the American Academy of Pediatrics. She said she's going to do her best to get me in. Pray everyone.
          Erin

Comment

I am no spring chicken. I've learned over the years to go with my gut instinct which is usually right on the money. Like others said, you need to be comfortable with your choice of pediatrician.

Comment

I would look for a new doctor. It is important to be able to trust your doctor. I am also a believer in that doctors should be keeping up with the times, and keeping themselves educated. When you find yourself feeling that you are smarter than your doctor, it is time for a new one.

Doctors have to be pretty bad doctors to have had any disciplinary actions against them, so looking out for bad doctors isn't an easy task. Maybe if you know a good doctor in another field, maybe that doctor could refer you.

I remember when my niece and nephew were both still babies. They both came down with diarreaha for a long period of time. They saw a woman doctor in the same office as my daughter's doctor. She just wasn't being much help in getting the diarreaha under control.

Well, my mother got tired of watching this going on and took them to the doctor I took my daughter to. Immediately he knew what the problem was, and hospitalized them, and put them on I.Vs. They had a lactose intollerence which had totally made their intestinal tracts raw. The doctor wasn't even sure they would make it. When they did come out of the hospital they had to be put on predigested formula which was extremely expensive for a very long time till their digestive tracts healed. I mean extremely.

Comment

Go with your gut-start looking for a new doctor. You need to find somebody good, but also someone who you can trust and be comfortable with. When my daughter needed an orthopedic surgeon, we were referred to one by our doctor who said he was great. He was a total a**hole to me and it was impossible to have any sort of dialogue with the guy. I begged my doctor to refer me to someone else( he didn't want to step on this guy's toes so he was reluctant). He found me a different Dr. who was not only a great doctor, but also very approachable, a good thing when your child has a medical issue and you have questions.

Comment

Originally posted by misscatahoula View Post
                  Go with your gut-start looking for a new doctor. You need to find somebody good, but also someone who you can trust and be comfortable with. When my daughter needed an orthopedic surgeon, we were referred to one by our doctor who said he was great. He was a total a**hole to me and it was impossible to have any sort of dialogue with the guy. I begged my doctor to refer me to someone else( he didn't want to step on this guy's toes so he was reluctant). He found me a different Dr. who was not only a great doctor, but also very approachable, a good thing when your child has a medical issue and you have questions.

I would be leary of a doctor who didn't want to refer me to someone else because he doesn't want to step on a particular doctors toes!!!! Not very professional IMO.

Erin, I don't have anything else to add. You have to go w/your gut and find someone who YOU feel comfortable with. I interviewed pediatricians when I was still pregnant and I stopped after I interviewed my first one. I really liked Dr. Draisen from the beginning and felt like I didn't need to look any further. That was 13 yrs ago and I still use her!!! Old fashioned ethics and atmosphere is well and good, but a doctor has to stay w/the times as far as the actual medicine goes!!
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

If your not comfortable, find a new doc.

With my first son, I went with the Dr who seen him at the hospital too. It was the same Dr my hubby went to when he was a kid. My mother in law just loved him and said he was really good.

A week after Dakota came home from the hospital, all he did was throw up everytime he ate, and screamed constantly because he was still hungry. I took him to this Dr and he was really rude and yelled at me over the umbilical cord. Said it should have fallen off by now and I wasn't cleaning it right. (now with Dylan, I was told you don't even need to clean them, and they will fall off in a few weeks..just leave it alone) He told me that I didn't know what I was doing and Dakota was fine, I was just a new mom. He really made me feel like a piece of ****. So I never went back to him.

Countless ER visits, 3 Dr's, and 6 weeks later..all shrugging me off telling me I was just a new mom, I finally found a Dr who suggested we have Dakota checked for pyloric stenosis (muscle btwn the stomach and intestines too tight and doesn't allow food to go through). They sent us back up to Childrens in an ambulance and that was what he had. He needed surgery and spent his first Easter there. They also mentioned to me that if I had waited any longer, he would have died from dehydration! Oh..that's nice! Good thing I finally found a Dr who would listen to me and not just tell me I was a new mom who didn't know anything.

Comment

Of course you have to be comfortable and have great confidence in your doctor. Gut instinct is something we all need to pay attention to. I never took my kids to a Pediatrician, I had a wonderful GP who took care of the whole family. And if you can find a GP or FP, I think they're the way to go, because they understand about your whole family health situation, not just the kids. I think it's unfortunate that so few doctors go into general or family medicine these days.

But, in your doctor's defence, there may not have been a thing wrong with the advice he gave you. Aspirin is only to be avoided if your child has a viral infection, like flu, a cold, or chicken pox. If it's something else, like teething or a bacterial infection, aspirin is not only fine, it's the better choice. The clear liquids is generally recommended to avoid diarrhea. It gives the entire GI tract time to recover.

The only thing I might be a little worried over is the hinkey record keeping.

Comment

if you dont feel comfortable,then i think its time to get a new dr.because i think if you talked to him he wouldnt change his ways probably been doing it the same way for years,when my 17 yr old was 5,i took her to a dentsist that everyone raved about,he was nice,but his practice was so big,seemed like he was overly busy,that for me i wanted a smaller practice,it was nothing against him i just didnt feel comfortable there,and i think suggesting aspirin to a baby,is scary,some people dont know you shouldnt give aspirin to a baby,go with your gut

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                          But, in your doctor's defence, there may not have been a thing wrong with the advice he gave you. Aspirin is only to be avoided if your child has a viral infection, like flu, a cold, or chicken pox. If it's something else, like teething or a bacterial infection, aspirin is not only fine, it's the better choice. The clear liquids is generally recommended to avoid diarrhea. It gives the entire GI tract time to recover.

The only thing I might be a little worried over is the hinkey record keeping.
                          I know nothing, so anything I DO know it's from books I've read. And all the books say no aspirin for a mild fever, maybe if halucinating, or shaking, but not for the fever she had which I told him tylenol was controlling fine. They say no aspirin because of Reye's syndrome. True it may be a one in a bazillion chance of her getting it, but don't you think he should let ME be the one to take that chance, not him prescribing it willy nilly. I want a dr who is going to tell me pros and cons, tell me his suggestion, and then let me decide. I guess it's already decided, I'm getting a new doc. Thanks everyone. I just wanted some support to know I wasn't nutso.

Fluffy, same thing happened to my mom with my brother. He'd have such awful nose bleeds at night that the pillow would be soaked in blood. Doc's told her she was imagining it!!!!! Can you believe that! Turns out it was allergies, but I can't believe the audacity of telling a mother she was imagining blood soaked pillowcases.
                          Erin

Comment

Originally posted by ejmj30 View Post
                            Lucky thing is I clip the nails of a woman who is good friends with the head of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
                            Did you mean that you clip the nails of her dog? lol
                            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

One thing that I loved about our childrens pediatrician is at their office they always had the most knowledgable nurses answering the phones. You could always get advice, not just about health care, but also about child development, nutrition, sleeping issues, teething, ect. Yes, you will see the doctor when the baby is sick and for well visits but your baby's doctor AND the doctors office can be a terrific support system for you. Especially being a new Mom....the toughest job in the world! Even tougher then being a dog groomer. LOL So when you look for that new doctor look at the big picture if you can. I'm not worried about you. I'll know you'll do just fine.
                              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X