Rap Cat = Animal Cruelty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rap Cat = Animal Cruelty?

A few days ago the news did a segment on the checker's rap cat commercial being considered by some to be cruelty to animals. I guess they printed out a 'costume' on their paper bags so people could cut out holes for the arms and head and make their cat wear a paper bag.

Would you consider this to be cruel?

My take on this is that its stupid, yes, but not cruel. The cat might be pissed off, but it isn't going to be in pain or anything like that.

Yeah, wow. I don't consider that cruelty. Just idiocy.
    Becky

Comment

Not cruel, just really stupid. Just let the cat play with the bag-they love that.
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Lol, I'd never heard of this. No I wouldn't consider it cruelty. The way things are now a days though, I'm not surprised!
        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

That is so stupid and I can't stop laughing. Picturing a cat in a paper bag costume???

Comment

no i dont think its cruel at all,i spend good money buying my cats toys,big cat trees,and you know they would rather play inside of a paper bag,my friend has a cat a big grey cat,whos quite the ham,he likes making us laugh,anyways he has his own high chair in the kitchen,and she says greyman come here lets do the unknown comic,he comes running jumps in his chair,and she puts a paper bag with holes cut out,just like the unknown comic,its funny

Comment

Put the bag on the floor and let the cat go in. Even my 10 yr old cat cannot resist the paper bag,lol. Making the cat wear a paper suit is just dumb.

Comment

PETA must be responsible for this stupidity. Cats in a cut out bag costume is not cruel, cats tied up in a gunny sack and thrown in a lake is cruelty!!! Get your priorities straight people!
                SheilaB from SC

Comment

That was pretty much my response when I saw it on the news. One of my cats (still going strong at 11-12 years old knock on wood) had always loved little fast food bags. My dad likes to tease my mom and I explaining when the animals pass he will have them stuffed and he'll put them all in their favorite spots. Puff's spot would be sticking out of a McDonald's bag. lol

Comment

My cat is not a fan of paper bags, but he loves plastic. When ever I go food shoping he keeps meowing for one. Then goes in a corner and just keeps licking it. So weird.

Comment

Be careful letting your cat lick a plastic bag. My Harvey, 12 yr old DSH, will lick and eat any and all plastic. Last March he had to be hospitalized for almost a week, given numerous enemas and finally had to be anesthetized (sp?) so the vet could manually flush his colon with 4 bags of IV fluids while using her fingers to remove a ton of plastic pieces. About $2,000 later, he still had to be medicated 3x a day for several months. Now I'm the plastic nazi and can never leave anything plastic (bags, wrappers, etc) within his reach or he'll go straight for it. Just two nights ago I brought groceries inside and while I was unloading the bags, Mr. Harvey was right there chewing on one of them. AAGGGHHH!

Animal cruelty is manifested in many ways. It doesn't have to be extreme to still be cruel. Cruel is defined as willfully or knowingly causing pain or distress to others, physically or mentally. While I think the paper bag costume idea is stupid and idiotic and I would never do that to a cat personally, without seeing the news segment or commercial you speak of I can't offer a true opinion. I know my dog loves to wear t-shirts, but my cats prefer to go au naturale!

Lots of things people do to animals IS cruel, even though some people think it's funny. Very touchy subject. What it really comes down to, IMO, is how the cat felt wearing the costume. Was he relaxed and nonchalant? Or was his tail thrashing, ears pinned back, pupils dilated/constricted? Was it his choice to get into the bag or was he forced to wear the costume while people laughed and ridiculed him? Lots of things to be considered...

Stacey

Comment

I love the Rap cat . My very favorite comercial!!!!

Comment

The cat in the sack...

My cats love paper bags. In fact, they love plastic bags too. I think they would care less if a bag had holes in it to become a costume. If I even attempted to dress my cat in a paper bag, it would fight every second of that nonsense...lol. Playing with them is one thing, wearing them is another. My friend one year for Halloween wore a garbage bag with cereal boxes, paper plates, styrofoam cups, candy wrappers, newpaper etc glued to the bag and went as "white trash." It was really funny. But he's human and had the choice to want to wear a bag.

Comment

Seleste, the cat they showed wasn't calm per se, but wasn't ears-back-tail-twitching mad either. It was just kind of standing there dumbfounded, kind of like when you put a harness on a cat that isn't used to it and they refuse to walk.

I think if any cat got that upset over it, they would tear the paper bag apart getting away anyways. lol

Comment

seleste~

Thanks for the info! I always watch him when he does it. He only licks it, if I hear or see him chew it I would take it away. Especially hearing what you went through.

Comment

Working...
                              X